Just in case...(regarding installation of PR 3.6)

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.

Just in case...(regarding installation of PR 3.6)

Post by Guest »

Hi, I just installed PR 3.6 a few days ago and everything appears to be working fine. However, I am wondering if I should've done something differently. See I went all the way from Gold Beta (the version that came with ECE...but...you guys know that!) to your latest release...which is incredible guys! Anyway, I didn't think to delete my old ChaosUT2 directory. When I installed the PR 3.6 UMOD, I was not prompted to overwrite any files of any kind. I've been playing it for many hours (of course!) and it's a phenomenal mod; I want to make sure everything is working the way you guys intended! I mean I thought I would consult you before deleting the new directory and doing a clean install. I don't mean to be a nuisance; I'm just not the best at the technical side of gaming. One more question that relates directly to the sentence I just typed...I don't entirely understand "adding to my UnrealEd shortcut" to use the Chaos-related classes when I make maps. I opened the properties of the UED shortcut and thought I knew what I was doing but ran into trouble. Actually, and if this is not recommended tell me, but I just copied the ChaosUT.u file into my UT2004 system directory and edited my UT2004 .ini file to initialize it in the EditPackages section so I can use the classes in UnrealEd. I have a feeling that's not a good idea, but I'm not sure, so let me know. I really appreciate any help you guys can give me on these two (sorry two topics in one thread) issues, and keep up the genius modding!

Matt
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

Copy the UED Editor shortcut (NOT EXE!!!) somwhere (say Desktop), right click on it, go under properties, tab "Shortcut" and in target replace "C:\UT2004\System\UnrealEd.exe" with "C:\UT2004\System\UnrealEd.exe -MOD=ChaosUT2"
jb

Post by jb »

Durandal,

thanks for the interest in the mod.
Anyway, I didn't think to delete my old ChaosUT2 directory. When I installed the PR 3.6 UMOD, I was not prompted to overwrite any files of any kind. I've been playing it for many hours (of course!) and it's a phenomenal mod; I want to make sure everything is working the way you guys intended! I mean I thought I would consult you before deleting the new directory and doing a clean install. I don't mean to be a nuisance; I'm just not the best at the technical side of gaming.
I dont think the UMOD will promt you to over write the files, it just does it anyways. But yes removing the old dir or renaming it then installed the PR3.6 UMOD is fine.

For UnrealED you can try what TIm sugguest, you also can just start UnrealED like normal, then use the class/package broswer to load up the chaosut and chaosgames u files (just navigate to the chaosut2\system and select those two U files) as loading thoses gives you the same assest.... Let us know how it goes and enjoy!
Jb

Post by Guest »

Ehh JB I think I was probably being paranoid. However, since it took me over half a day to download the mod (not complaining at all, really it was worth it) I will probably make another copy of the UMOD and hide it away somewhere in case something ever goes wrong and I need to do a clean install. Still having a lot of fun with it by the way, actually found a few Chaos buddies that like to play both Duel and DM. I've also found that Duel can easily bring out the cockiness in some people haha!
Thanks again,

Matt

P.S. What are the typical reasons why people have trouble starting servers? I've noticed servers (like even the General's!), but, it's like they're outside my ping range or something. This one server that my buddy tried to start...I could see the name of the server, the map name, number of players...but the ping was N/A. She says that it never lets anyone in..?
jb

Post by jb »

P.S. What are the typical reasons why people have trouble starting servers? I've noticed servers (like even the General's!), but, it's like they're outside my ping range or something. This one server that my buddy tried to start...I could see the name of the server, the map name, number of players...but the ping was N/A. She says that it never lets anyone in..?
Usally this happens when the server is behind a firewall. It will show up but it N/A for the ping and you can not get the info on the server. Typically you will then need to spend time with your router to either open up ports, enable port forward or setting up a virtiual server...
Jb
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hello again Matt.

There's a good chance that the server is using a non-standard port. UT2004 has always been funny that way.

So in other words, ask her to check the IP - including the last 4 numbers - and post it for you (ie: 7777, or 8000, or 7888, or whatever it is), so you can edit the IP manually in your favorites list.

Might be as simple as that.

Post by Guest »

Tim wrote:Copy the UED Editor shortcut (NOT EXE!!!) somwhere (say Desktop), right click on it, go under properties, tab "Shortcut" and in target replace "C:\UT2004\System\UnrealEd.exe" with "C:\UT2004\System\UnrealEd.exe -MOD=ChaosUT2"
Ya know, I finally got around to doing that. I actually came close to doing it right before, but don't laugh - I didn't have a space between ...UnrealEd.exe and -MOD...so uhh that screwed things up, all from the lack of a space in the target. Maybe this was kind of an irrelevant reply :roll: - but I just felt like sharing my dumb mistake. I mean that is a dumb mistake for someone who *sort of* understands complex stuff like UnrealScript 8O Anyway I didn't realize that this action would yield all or almost all of the Chaos content, like the textures. I assumed it would only include the ChaosUT and ChaosGames .u files. I haven't had a chance to try anything else with my buddy's server yet, but I will let ya know when/if that problem is solved.