Source Code ?

Discussion for the original Quake 2 Chaos. (DM & CTF)
MagicSN

Source Code ?

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

Any news concerning the source code release concerning porting ChaosDM
to Amiga ? :)

As I said before I'd not actually need a public source code release. To do it
with source code by email under confidentiality would be just as fine for me.

And don't be worried about things like "messy source code" and such where many Mod-Authors seem to be worried about. I worked on things like the Descent 2 Source Code in the past. Few source can look more messy than that :)

MagicSN
SteffenH@hyperion-software.de
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Its slow to get anything out of the two possible people that have it.
MagicSN

Source Code ?

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

Any news on reaching these two people who
have the source code ? I am now short before finally releasing Quake 2 for Amiga,
after the Betatesting is coming to an end now, and would really like to also have ChaosDM for the Amiga version :)

If you email me contact details of these two
people, I could also contact them...

Do I remember right, it was somewhere said in the past that they principially had agreed already ?

Thanks in advance !!! :)

MagicSN
SPA
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by SPA »

Well... I dont think I wouldve any problem with giving it free... after all having ChaosDM on Amiga would be an extra cool goodie :P

Only one question? Should I be one of "these two people"???
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Ummm ya think?
MagicSN

Source...

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

SPA: Many Thanks :))))))

Just send me the source-code by email to SteffenH@hyperion-software.de (My account *can* take large email-messages). Of course I won't give away the source-code to any other people, don't worry about this!!!

I think I can port it over to AmigaOS in the run of a view days, most Mods port straight-forward :) Usually I only have to recompile the whole stuff, link with the Amiga-DLL-Code, maybe replace some minor code, and that's it :) Hehehe, ChaosDM was always my favourite Q2 mod !!!

Actually I could port it over during the weekend, if I had the source-code :)

MagicSN
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Now we need to find the person with the latest copy.
MagicSN

Source ?

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

Just send me what you have right now, and
if there's any changes later, send an update... I can easily run diff over it and see what changed :)

Thanks in advance ! :)

MagicSN
Corvus|CL

Post by Corvus|CL »

Cool! Quake2 for Amiga... :)
The Amiga 500 was my first computer and I have still my Amiga 1200 PPC. Hyperion Software is not unknown for me: Shogo, Heretic II and Freespace Amiga ports ;)

But I haven't followed the latest Amiga developments for over one year :cry:, the AmigaOne or AmigaOS 4 isn't out yet, is it? Would be great when the excellent Amiga platform would reach its former status like 1989 and 1990 again... :)

Quake2 will run on PPC I guess. ;)
My old Amiga 1200 with BlizzardPPC Accelerator, 64 mb RAM and BVisionPPC with Permedia2 GPU is still working, but I haven't used it very much the last time. :( How will Quake2 perform with PPC, MagicSN? :)
The European UT2004 and ChaosUT2 Clan
SPA
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by SPA »

I fortunately met Fred on ICQ today and he has the most current code version on his old Linux box... but will get a bit tricky to get the files from the harddisk... I gave him this thread's URL and with a bit luck you got the code within the next days 8)
MagicSN

Source...

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

Thanks for your help again :)

MagicSN
MagicSN

Source

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

>The Amiga 500 was my first computer and >I have still my Amiga 1200 PPC. Hyperion >Software is not unknown for me: Shogo, >Heretic II and Freespace Amiga ports ;)

I was involved in the Heretic II and Freespace ports :) (Actually I was the main coder for the Freespace port).

>But I haven't followed the latest Amiga >developments for over one year :cry:, the >AmigaOne or AmigaOS 4 isn't out yet, is

Not yet, but several developers have AmigaOne Boards (developer versions) already. I think around 10 people or such. We're working hard on AmigaOS 4 :)

>it? Would be great when the excellent >Amiga platform would reach its former >status like 1989 and 1990 again... :)

I can only agree :)

>Quake2 will run on PPC I guess. ;)

Actually I also did a 68k compile, but even on a 66 MHz 060 it is a slideshow. A PPC is needed to run Quake 2 at nice speed. There it is from the speed somewhat between QuakeWOS and Heretic II (faster than Heretic II, but slower than QuakeWOS - of course QuakeWOS has all sorts of ASM optimizations). I once tried the 68k compile on the AmigaXL Emulator and it worked decent (though not as fast as Quake 2 for Windows, Emulation took it's price I guess, and of course AmigaXL did not support 3D Hardware, as it has no Warp3D Support). Well, anyways, Amiga Quake 2 is for PPC Amigas :)

>My old Amiga 1200 with BlizzardPPC >Accelerator, 64 mb RAM and BVisionPPC >with Permedia2 GPU is still working, but I

It's enough to run Quake 2 :)

> How will Quake2 perform with PPC, >MagicSN? :)

See above... :) A 150 MHz PPC with BVision is fully enough... if it's a faster PPC even without a 3D Card it will be fast enough :) Of course Q2 looks much nicer with 3D Hardware :)

Steffen
MagicSN

Source

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

Well, up to now I did not get any source-code... :(

Maybe you can give me Fred's Email-Address ?

I don't want to hurry you guys of course :)

You mentioned a problem getting the source from a Linux system ? Maybe anything I can help at, I know Linux also :)

Thanks in advance :)

MagicSN
SPA
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by SPA »

Hi... sorry for the delay, but wasnt able to reach him in ICQ during the week... he's currently online again but in away mode since Ive seen him... I forwarded you his email adress (hope it's still the same :wink: )
(Eigentlich hätt ich ja gleich auch auf Deutsch schreiben können 8) )
SPA
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by SPA »

Anybody wants to know how old this stuff is... Anybody REALLY wants to know...well... I will show you... what I found in my old Mail Archives:

"....
From: "Fred Peeler" To: <SteffenH@hyperion-software.de>; <devel@chaoticdreams.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 4:11 PM
Subject: [Devel]Re: Mod Ports...

> Well, I've passed the mail along to the people who need to make the
> decision. It's not my decision to make.
>
> Fred
>
>
> Steffen Haeuser wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Well, I am still waiting on a followup (or private email concerning...) my
> > post. We really should find a way to resolve the issue concerning the Amiga
> > and Mac ports, you know :)
> >
> > Right now it seems to me you are ignoring me (and some of the Amiga Quake 2
> > Betatesters who also asked for a port as I recently saw on the forum).
> >
> > You can add more players to the Mod with allowing a port to be done, you know
> > :)
> >
> > Steffen Haeuser
...."

I thought that "guy" (sorry Steffen ;) ) wouldve got the source from Major already half a year ago... cause we talked those days in IRC if its ok to give out the code and he was the only one besdies Fred who had it.... and later I wondered why this Amiga port never showed up (...well...was anyway around the time in spring when I took my "big pause")... and today I dug that out and compared the names....AAAARGH!!

Once more BIG SORRY Steffen!!!!!!!

Hope this will run now like a rat through a greased pipe :wink: