Any COD4 players?

Feel free to chat about non-Chaos stuff in here.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Any COD4 players?

Post by R.Flagg »

I was looking for something else to play, and so I picked up COD4 GOTY. Sure, it's a year late, but whatever.

I have added the Pezbot without problems (so I can practice offline), but I have another question.

What I think I'd like to do is play in 'normal' 'mode, but without the perks. Is this possible?

What about HUD reduction? And I mean in 'normal' mode, I don't prefer the insta-gib nature of 'hardcore' mode.

Is there a mod that does these things? Any tips?
BitterPill
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by BitterPill »

My clan is now all CoD4. They play all the time. I don't play often because I'm always working. You could ask around there.

http://www.nbsnipers.com/forum/
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading since that post, and it seems like what I thought was an obvious request, just isn't possible in COD4.

I'm really surprised too. Very much. Perhaps I'm just an oddball, but I would have that such a thing would have been one of the very first mods made for this game. Seems like an obvious request to me. Oh well.

Infinity Ward has apparently announced that they were going to make a 'bare bones team deathmatch' (which is pretty much what I'm asking for), but I've gotten very little details on that. And at least once source said it was going to be for console versions only. Ouch!

So for the moment - I've moved on to another issue. I'm playing offline... , and for the life of me, can't seem to get custom maps to show up. At all.

Heh. PC games can be such a damn struggle sometimes.

Edit: Well, I can get custom maps to work now. Seems I was confused by expecting something a little more..., 'modern'. In a newer game like COD4, I would have expected to see my custom maps available for choosing in the GUI when starting my game. As it turns out, this game is a bit more 'retro' than that. :( Weirdness. Ah well, it still works.

I'm still a major newbie still at this one, but if any Chaos folks want to try some private 1on1 stuff, let me know.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

So.., anyway...

Now that I've realized that COD4 MP is actually designed to have players shooting straight through brick walls and concrete barriers and the like... I'm done. That's enough for me.

I can understand shooting through things like wooden walls or what have you, but this is just too much. I've even seen bullets coming right through a combination of a brick wall and a cement barrier (in a perfectly straight line no less, not even deflected). Sorta silly, and totally negates the term 'cover'.

So I'll probably play through the SP, since I paid for it, but after that I'll once again be hunting for a 'realism' game I enjoy. Seems hard to find. Maybe I'm asking for too much? I'd like to see a modern (non-WW2 for crying out loud) reaslism game with;

- offline bots to enjoy the MP part offline when you want

- No built-in relics (perks) you can't turn off.

- No shooting normal old bullets through 2 foot concrete walls and the like.

- options for minimal to no HUD

- options for iron sights aiming (no crosshair)

- Custom maps can be made, and enough of an audience that they are being made.

- and other stuff

To be honest, that really doesn't seem like much to ask. Yet...
jb

Post by jb »

Hey flag,

I had COD4 for the 360 and there was an option to turn off the hud in that version. Actually it may have been a server option as it turn off the radar and other visual aids. I liked playing it that way as its too much for me normal.

And the single player is a lot of fun. Some of the maps/battles are really good. Hope you take a chance to try it and stick with the SP as you may like it! (gullies in the mist my favorite level)
Jb
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hi Joe.

Yeah, I'm still working my way through the SP part, and it's entertaining enough. Definitely some crazy battles.

If I had to pick my biggest complaint, it'd be that there's a bit too much hand-holding throughout. Always somebody (Captain Price or whoever) telling me where to go and what to do, every step of the way.

But on the plus side, the graphics are very, very nice. I truly enjoy just looking around at times, no matter what is going on. That's really the main reason I'm so dissappointed actually. Because it looks so darn pretty, it seems like such a waste to me that a 'proper' mod wasn't made for this game. As I would love to spend hour upon hour immersed in those lovely graphics.

The game certainly had the sales numbers - and to this day it has the high player counts - to support a good mod..., yet there isn't one to my liking. Such a shame. Oh well, SP it is, then back on the shelf.