Melee weapons mutator for other gametypes?

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
Zesvotzashni

Melee weapons mutator for other gametypes?

Post by Zesvotzashni »

I keep seeing on several download sites for this mod how every chaos gametype has melee weapons, yet I can only use them in Duel, HH, DM and TDM, and that's it! I cannot use them in anything else, they don't even show up in any weapon replacement mutators, I can't even add them to other chaos gametypes...

I understand that a new player something or other (animations, pawns or something) is required for the use of melee weapons, can't you just make a mutator that adds all the needed requirements for them into any gametype you add it on?

Also, why is there no 1st person option for melee weapons? They have animation bugs on certain skins when idle (Gen'Mokai legs, or custom skins which use said leg setup, for example) and I probably woulden't notice it ever if I could just have a toggleable mode of view.
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Re: Melee weapons mutator for other gametypes?

Post by neolith »

Zesvotzashni wrote:I keep seeing on several download sites for this mod how every chaos gametype has melee weapons, yet I can only use them in Duel, HH, DM and TDM, and that's it! I cannot use them in anything else, they don't even show up in any weapon replacement mutators, I can't even add them to other chaos gametypes...
I haven't been around when the current version of CUT was made public, so you might not want to put too much weight in what I write, but IIRC that actually was intended.

Melee waepons only make so much sense as long as there are no powerful ranged weapons around. Give me the ERDW and send 15 players with swords to kill me - none of them will even reach me.
The thing is: In DM and TDM you can control which weapons will spawn and therefore balance the game. But Onslaught has vehicles and Assault has turrets - you don't stand a chance against either of those with an axe.
In Bombing Run and in CTF you are desperately trying to stop the enemy carrying the ball/flag, which is impossible without ranged weapons. Being restricted to melees would render the gametypes pretty much unplayable...
I understand that a new player something or other (animations, pawns or something) is required for the use of melee weapons, can't you just make a mutator that adds all the needed requirements for them into any gametype you add it on?

Also, why is there no 1st person option for melee weapons? They have animation bugs on certain skins when idle (Gen'Mokai legs, or custom skins which use said leg setup, for example) and I probably woulden't notice it ever if I could just have a toggleable mode of view.
1st person for melee weapons was something we tried at a certain point. Unfortunately it delivered either ugly graphical glitches or no accurate depiction of how your weapons swings - depending on which of our two ideas for implementation we used. 3rd person cam gave far better results for everyone as the player is able to actually see how the characters move, even if the enemy is merely a step behind him.
–The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.–
kitfighter

Post by kitfighter »

What consists of melee weapons by the way?