Help with making crossbow default W and Bot KOTH probs.

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
-Penfold-

Help with making crossbow default W and Bot KOTH probs.

Post by -Penfold- »

First, the homage:

I love your mod. Excellent work. Big fan of KOTH, and your mod does it best.

Played KOTH in UT and now am remaking my KOTH map for UT2003, and need some help:

How can I disable the assalt rifle without disabling other non-mod weapons?

or

How can I make the crossbow the default weapon?

and

Why is it that I get bots that stay put outside of the hill trigger?

Any help would be appreciated.
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Hi Penfold,
Thanks for the high marks. Glad you like the work we have done so far with it.

Just letting you know that we've seen your post and one of the mappers will happily help you fix the issues you have with your KOTH map..
FurrySound{TOC}
-The sun never sets on the Chaotic Dreams Empire
jb

Post by jb »

We have a koth mapping guid too that was supposed to be linked on the web site to help you. Let me see if we can find it and get back to you. Sorry for the delay.
Jb
jb

Post by jb »

Found it:
http://www.chaoticdreams.org/ce/ChaosUT ... Mappin.htm

I will have to get back to you about the other stuff. See if that helps or hurts....
Jb
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

When I see your name, I'm reminded of Danger Mouse... :D
FurrySound{TOC}
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

We have a koth mapping guid too that was supposed to be linked on the web site to help you.
Sorry about that Sir.

Will be corrected soon.
jb

Post by jb »

R.Flagg {MoO} wrote:
We have a koth mapping guid too that was supposed to be linked on the web site to help you.
Sorry about that Sir.

Will be corrected soon.

No my fault.
Jb
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

Ah, a Choas KOTH domination point needs to be inserted. No wonder why my Bots were so stupid. ;) I only knew about the trigger. :oops:

My UT KOTH map only used a trigger, I never made bot support as we only played it multiplayer 2 on 2 and couldn't trust the bots to work with the tactics of the map.

My UT'03 remake map I added bot support primarily so that I could test the map single-player for basic flow test and to see if it was claustrobic enough so I would have a better version once we did get multiplayer going. That, and I figure 2 human on 3 or 4 bots might be fun. Anyway...

Thanks for the several and prompt responses. :D I'll check back to see if there is any response regarding the assault rifle/crossbow issue periodically.
FurrySound wrote:When I see your name, I'm reminded of Danger Mouse... :D
As it should. Danger Mouse fan? Here is my usual avatar (I have it hosted at the Rebirth site, but under the agreement that I use it at his forums only). BeyondUnreal allows avatar uploads... Don't think CB would mind this single post however:

FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

(jumpy)

I used to watch that all the time...
FurrySound{TOC}
jb

Post by jb »

No problem -Penfold-, post some screenies when you have em :)
Jb
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

Oh, the map is far from your guys' standards.

Two of the computers here are running 1 and 1.1 Ghz Durons with GF2/GF4MX cards. So I purposefully kept it on the simple side. It's also very symetrical. If the layout proves as fun as it's UT counterpart in multiplay (haven't played it at all multiplayer), then maybe I'll send it to nalicity. But as there have been some key changes, I'm not sure.

I'm trying to go for a function over syle look, although the '03 engine being optimized for mesh use does help it look quite a bit better than all the simple rectangles I had in the UT version.

Basically, it's kind of a symmetrical hedge maze (only without dead ends) for cramped close quarters battle with an open area. The KOTH zone is in the center and only on the bottom floor, so going for advantage of height requires teamwork, one to stay down, and the other to go up top. Also, the spawn points are in seperate hallways, where the player gets the crossbow and 1 of 13 random weapons, so using your "special" or non crossbow weapon effectively (as there are no special weapon ammo pickups) is important. Changing the lenght from the player start to the teleporter (that warps them into the actual arena) changes the "penalty" time of getting killed. Trying to delay respawn was considered breifly, but then rejected, as the in arena view could lead to the dead person guiding his buddy. This can still happen, but at the expense of ever second further increasing the existing penalty time. Hallway ceiling is low to prevent dodge jumping forward. Health powerups and arrows/bolts are on the periferal edges, forcing a player to have to use teamwork, one to hold down the fort (KOTH zone) and the other to go out and grab health/ammo.
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

Here's a thread with pics I made. Like I said, nothing fancy, but hopefully functional enough for a good match.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1210417