CTF Player Start Location ?? Help plz

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
[T.S]Psycho

CTF Player Start Location ?? Help plz

Post by [T.S]Psycho »

Hello

I've made a CTF map for UT2003 but when I want to play it I start on the blue side ore red side.

Example: I'm red and 1st time I start at red base 2e time at blue 3e time at red 4e time and blue 5e time at blue ect...

Now is my question:

How can I make it that If I am red I only can start at the red base and also with blue ??

plz help me :(
jb

Post by jb »

All players starts have a team index. Set them to 0 for red, and 1 for blue. Then place them were you want red or blue to start.
Jb
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

To expound on what JB said , you can Set the team index by right-clicking the playerstart , clicking PlayerStart Properties , then clicking Playerstart , And putting a 0 in the teamnumber spot for red , and a 1 for blue.

good luck on the map , Hope I see it someday.
[T.S]Psycho

Post by [T.S]Psycho »

I've finished the map.

You can download it at: http://www.the-stromgarde.tk/

Hope you like it because I'm a beginner with making maps :wink:
gamer119

Post by gamer119 »

Can't find file "tlabcomp"
[T.S]Psycho

Post by [T.S]Psycho »

O yes
Forgot that one :?

Have changed the pages but only need to upload "tlabcomp"
Will upload it a.s.a.p

-------------------
22:40

uploaded "tlabcomp".
note: its bigger then 1 mb.

location: http://www.the-stromgarde.tk --> downloads --> maps
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I grabbed the utx file off the net, using Google. For some reason felt drawn to try your map.

Not a bad start Psycho. Keep up the effort.

My suggestion is that one way in a flag room is not a good way to go, however. Sure, there are always going to be some who enjoy that type of play, but I think most folks will prefer at least 2 clear and seperate routes to and from each flag. I personally prefer at least 3.

And that doesn't always have to mean 3 doors into the flag room, but with only one door, and combined with only one route, well...., it doesn't get any more 'linear'.

Then there's the 3rd dimension, or 'z-axis'.

Please don't think I'm being critical of your effort. I simply want to offer some general pointers, so that maybe you'll keep learning and make more maps.

If you wanted to go with this type of map, my suggestion would be to start basic, and slightly improve with each revision.

There are many many quality maps out there that basically use a circular approach. Doesn't have to be a circle exactly, but just vaguely. I mean, take your door to flag room, and path to other flag, and recreate it going out the other side of the flag room. So I could come in one door, and keep on truckin' right out the other. Make sort of a big circle in my path from home to base to home again, follow me?

Then the next step IMO would be to connect the 2 routes together somewhere in the middle. So you are not committed to what is essentially one long hallway all the way home. A choice of routes, a chance to shake your pursuers.

Then after that, you could work on incorporating some z axis. Perhaps when the two paths cross, one goes over the other. Perhaps there are 2 paths on each side, an upper and a lower, for 4 total, maybe there is a giant dead space-pig in there somewhere, dropped by a giant space man at barbeque, for me to jump on and off of. Perhaps there are 3-d sculptures of female body parts for me to play in and around, perhaps there are....., ya know.

And then after all that, we could talk about item placement, as I would suggest a bit more 'spread', at the very least. In the pic above, you can see a nade launcher and Claw2 right next to each ohter, with the RL just a jog down the hall. I'd suggest more thought in that area.

Then, if you were still a free man, not locked up for psychotic unrealED related behaviour, you could slap some more things on the walls. But usually making the play go zoom 1st is best, and all the purdy stuff can follow. An example is that one of my favorite maps for UT2003 so far (though I admit I'm not trying out so many as I used to in UT), is Extortion-LE. You don't get much plainer in appearance, but it's got routes and 'z' and so on. Makes if fun to play, and the looks aren't bad enough to get in the way. Graphics are nice, but secondary.

Don't usually write all this out for such a map post as this, but for some reason felt like I wanted to this time. Keep it up Psycho, the world needs more mappers.

And thanks for submitting the logo! (up)
[T.S]Psycho

Post by [T.S]Psycho »

Thank you for the advice.
I thought about more way's to and out the flag room but wanted to make a small map first :)

I have made plannes for a bigger map with 3 way's 2 simple and 1 dificulde way.
I shale put in some 3d status ore some thing like that :wink: .

( have you found the secret room in my level ?? that contains the redeemer 8O , supershock-rifle, big healt pack and big shield :).
mabby the weapons are a bit to muts for that small level.
but I thought it was a bit of fun :P. )

Shale post my seconded map here 2 when it's finnished hope to get some more advice then :wink: .