KOTH-SunRise released

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
L'architecte

KOTH-SunRise released

Post by L'architecte »

Hi all
KotH-SunRise is finally released, several minor changes for a better gameplay and a map that looks more beautiful than before (I hope :) )
Playable with ut/CUT/melee weapons

(link removed, new version available, see below)

Some screenshots :

(am sorry, the screenshots are showing the previous release cause the map looks nearly the same)
Remeber : medieval japanese style, with some cool secrets :twisted:
Last edited by L'architecte on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be excessive.
jb

Post by jb »

L'architecte,

I think this is a great map. And it fits the them of Koth. However here are some suggestions on improvements for this or some things to consider for the next one.

1) While the inside of the palace is nice, the out side looks way too barren. I mean you have this wonderfully detailed place but the out side just does not match it. I would try to spruce up the oustside a bit more. Maybe have a golden road or red carpet walk way that leads up to the enterence? Maybe some kind or ach way that goes over the walk way with plants on them (for get what they are called but you see them in gardens all the time). Maybe a few ponds or something out side to match the detail level of the inside? Maybe more vegitation to help?

2) Add some Z play. It would be very cool if you can find a way to run around that top ledge and rain down the chaos on those poor fools that are trying to get hill time. I know used teleporters, maybe you could have used simple stairs, ect Just was trying to think of ways so it does not play on the same plane. And I know thats hard to do with KoTH maps

I really like the map as I think its the best one you have done so far. Very nice and hopefully these comments can help you make better ones!
Jb
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

Thank you for the feed back jb

The outside looks really empty as you say, but I have some optimization problems with vegetation. I have replaced all the grass staticmeshes with true decolayers (I had problems with paiting decolayers, but now its ok), so the map runs a little smoother now.

I am adding small walls around the palace, only for decorating, with trees and bushes, some statues and banners...
Maybe a big defence wall ? just a try, but am not sure I'll do it

Concernig Z play, it is possible at the moment to climb on the first roof, there is an open window over the balcony (there you should find the trap trigger :) ), but bots can not use it^^
I will add jumpers to allow bots (and players on an easier way) to access this place ; maybe I will add some mini healthpack / armor shards pick up there too

By the way the current release is downloadable at mapraider's too : (link removed, new version available, see below)
I'll keep you informed for the next release (very soon coming)
Last edited by L'architecte on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be excessive.
jb

Post by jb »

L'architecte,

oh no worries. Just trying to offer some suggestions on things to try. And as far as the outside goes I am just pulling things I have seen in pictures of Asian palaces and what not. So again just wanted to offer some suggestions. Looking forward to the next version!
Jb
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

V1.3 released :D
A lot of changes from v1.2, I added a lot of staticmeshes everywhere (trees, walls etc), the IA has been considerably modified too

download (filefront)
download (mapraider)

screen1
screen2
screen3
screen4
Be excessive.
jb

Post by jb »

Very nice work here, I liked the changes and it plays better now. Good job!
Jb
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

*zombie-like voice*
Maaaaaaps! Maaaaaaaaaaaaaps!

O, look, it's L'arc here!
Brainssssss! Brainsssssss! Me have yer ideassssss!

*cough*
Anyways, if you want, L'arc, I can setup a FTP account for ya on our site. What ye say, eh?
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

yea good idea !
thanks alot :)
I dont really like filefront (and maybe those who dl my maps there too^^)
Be excessive.
Romulus777
Location: in front of my computer waiting for 5 mods to download at once

Post by Romulus777 »

I like filefront. (crybig) heck, I only like it because of the vast amount of mods it has.
proxys rule cuz they r funny a proud mac user

Code: Select all

All ur base r blong to us
Viva the Revalution

CLICK HERE! (I need 20+ clicks to win)
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

Guys, the wait is over... I gave L'arc his own FTPz and setup a website for him! It's going thru 2nd stage of configuration (1st stage was making databases and tables for the site).

For security reasons, I won't tell you the URL just yet.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Nice map sir.

It's a bit too hard on the FPS though. Game play doesn't seem to bad at all, although it's a bit straight-forward for my tastes. Even for KOTH I tend to favor maps that have a bit more time and/or obstacles before I get back to the Hill. Even Jb's Pyramid at least requires me to run up the pyramid, and I don't have an instant straight shot to the Hill area.

Weapon placement seems a bit odd as well. At least IMO. I would have maybe put a sniper rifle where you have the pistols now. And I'm not usually a fan of weapon lockers in KOTH anyway, but I'm thinking I would at least change around what you have in them.

Anyway, it's a nice map, and I thank you for making it. Should the FPS issue be fixable the rest could be dealt with.

(Perhaps we'll have you post next one in beta section)