2 new Duel Maps by {FzS}Hammer (updated: 14.Jan.04)

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
FurrySound

2 new Duel Maps by {FzS}Hammer (updated: 14.Jan.04)

Post by FurrySound »

{FzS}Hammer has created 2 Duel Maps. Check them out and post your feedback please.

Duel-ArchEnemy
Duel-RockGarden

links reflect updated maps (14.Jan.04)
Last edited by FurrySound on Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FurrySound{TOC}
-The sun never sets on the Chaotic Dreams Empire
jb

Post by jb »

Duel-ArchEnemy - The only change I could recomend is to add more color to the ceiling. Its all one color now and while thats not bad...it could be better with other color or deco on it.

Duel-RockGarden - Not sure as I did not see anything at first...need to play it a bit more.

Both of them are excellent maps! TY!
Jb
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

:D Big thanks to FurrySound for the hosting. I'll take all the advice I can get. I keep forgetting how much more detail the new game can handle. :oops: I have a couple questions if I may.
In Duel-ArchEnemy I used blocking volumes at the outer walls to smooth out all the meshes for snag-free action, but I noticed I couldn't wall dodge off the volumes.(?#1) Is this a problem for anybody, and if so, is there a better way to handle this ? I aslo noticed that the meshes I made in the editor (I'll learn MayaPLE asap) don't block Karma for the ragdoll physics stuff. I cross referenced the meshes I made with the ones Bananasalat made, and as far as I could tell, all properties were the same.(?#2) Did I miss something or is there a trick to getting it to work ?
(?#3) Should I replace occilating blood under the floor grates with a gentle fluid surface thingy ? I kinda like the Quake3ish look, but I'm not married to it :D
Well, my first post is out of the way now :D I just didn't want to show up empty-handed. The only reason I bought (and didn't throw away) UT2003, was because I knew how good the mods would be. You've heard it before, and you'll hear it again, but AWESOME JOB on the mod guys.
Thanks again Furry, and everyone else too.
---Hamm---
"If you build it.....they will come."---Field of Dreams
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

NP Hammer... :D
FurrySound{TOC}
Widget

Post by Widget »

NOOB QUESTION!!

whats a wall dodge?
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

jumping to the wall and jumping/dodging off it

a move

walldodging
Marsfyre
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Marsfyre »

hammerman, to get collision to work you can do a few things. In the static meshes properties in the static mesh browser you can turn off simple karma collision. That should work because you made your meshes w/ bsp so they aren't too complex. If they are complex though, add one to your level and build a simple brush around it(use intersect to get ally our brush peices together) Then with the brush + static mesh selected in viewport, right click and save brush as collision. to view your collision in the static mesh browser click view > show collision. There is a third way too, if you want a really simple collision you can use the static mesh collision tools int he static mesh browser. Good Luck ^_^
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

8) Thanks Marsfyre, all great tips.

If there's enough reasons to go back and re-work these maps, I'll be glad to do it, but in the meantime I'll focus on my next project. A Galleon anchored in a thick fog with spooky sounds, music, and MUCH more detail. :wink:
<<<Good Times>>>
---Hamm---
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

:D Ok. As per requests, I have Chaos-a-fied my maps. 8) Added ChaosUT2 meshes, proxies watching through the windows or peeking over the rock cliffs, and some weapon models hanging on the walls to show which weapons are used in the mappers choice option. I also tweaked some lighting and terrain and stuff. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I thought about all the cool traps in other maps, but didn't think my 2 maps had good spots for traps. My next map will have some danger in it for sure.
Thank you for your support.
---Hamm---
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Great.
FurrySound{TOC}
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hi, played Rock Garden this morning, and I like it. Plays good. You've done a good job of mixing up the level so that there's plenty of ways to fight. Lots of ways to move and jump and dodge about. Nice job.

I would reccomend you make it so we can't hook the sky though, as it's going to creat arguments about 'cowardly tactics' in Duel.

Forgot to check your mappers choice wea[ons, and to see if you have the Map Info Actor set up correctly. Anybody checked those out yet?
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Hold your horses... or Proxy's... got new versions coming online momentarily.
FurrySound{TOC}
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Ok.. here they are... (I also updated the links in the first post)

ImageDuel-ArchEnemy
ImageDuel-RockGarden
FurrySound{TOC}
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

8) Thanks for the assistance and kind words, I hope to improve substantialy with my mesh building. Seems like the great folks at 3DBuzz had their own 'buzz' going when they made the Maya VTM's, but I'll trudge through somehow. Too bad the new engine couldn't have been made to handle 200,000 BSP polys, mapping would be so much easier for those of us who aren't natural computer geniuses.
Enjoy
---Hamm---