Chaos UT2k4 uninstall hosed everything else

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
Morgan19

Chaos UT2k4 uninstall hosed everything else

Post by Morgan19 »

I'm just curious if anyone else has run into this. I installed the latest beta of Chaos for UT2k4 with the .umod and later decided to uninstall it. I ran the Chaos uninstaller (I'm sure it was the Chaos-only one, not the general UT2k4 uninstaller) and uninstalled it. I noticed later that night that my harddrive seemed to have magically gained a few extra gigs of space. Eventually it occured to me to check my UT2k4 folder and, sure enough, all the main game files EXCEPT Chaos were gone.

As a note to the developers... Have you documented your uninstaller uninstalling the general UT2k4 accidentally and leaving Chaos, instead of the other way around? It seems like a pretty huge issue that people should be aware of.

m19
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

hmm,how did you get a beta?could you provide me a link?

strange,i dont have a cut specific uninstaller,and it works fine for me,but i installed the PR and thru zip
Morgan19

Post by Morgan19 »

By beta, I meant the PR3, sorry for the confusion. The .umod came with an uninstaller. It wasn't a problem with it working, it was a problem that it wiped the entirety of my UT2k4 install instead of just Chaos.

m19
Last edited by Morgan19 on Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I have used the umod to install, and uninstall, quite a lot.

Several times this week already.

So, no, no idea what happened to yours, but yes, we've used it.
Morgan19

Post by Morgan19 »

Huh. I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen, then. It wouldn't be that big a deal except there was over 5 gigs of game-related data & downloads invested in the UT2k4 folder. The uninstaller managed to take out random chunks of it, so I can't even tell what needs reinstalling or not. What's especially strange is that an uninstaller shouldn't really touch manual files like extra maps, models, etc. but it did. Weird.

m19
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

strange,works ok for me(that means that it doesnt wipe ut2k4)
Morgan19

Post by Morgan19 »

Oh well, seems like it'll remain a mystery. :)

m19
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

The original install or download might have been botched somehow. Or you may have some kind of hard-drive damage or problem. Without more information, there's no way for us to really know.
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

Also, as i remember the chaos uninstall is just a specially run version of the UT2004 uninstaller. That said, as i remember, when you uninstall an unreal game, you can select which modules to delete, and a bad choice or a program error here might be causing the problem.
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
|GoD|Plaguelord|LDR|

Post by |GoD|Plaguelord|LDR| »

Sorry this happened to you Morgan... I hope you'll be back fraggin' again soon Image
|GoD| clan co-leader
SK Online Community Coordinator
Visit the Temple of the |GoD|s
jb

Post by jb »

Morgan,

I am sorry about this issue. It should not have happened this way. There is no Chaos un-installer as that link was made by the UMOD installer and its a shortcut to the standard UT2k4 un-installer. Again sorry for your trouble.
Jb
Morgan19

Post by Morgan19 »

jb wrote:Morgan,

I am sorry about this issue. It should not have happened this way. There is no Chaos un-installer as that link was made by the UMOD installer and its a shortcut to the standard UT2k4 un-installer. Again sorry for your trouble.
Say eh...? You're saying that the "uninstall" icon created under the Chaos folder in my Start menu doesn't actually uninstall Chaos, but is *supposed* to uninstall UT2k4? o_O I apologize if I'm not understanding, but that seems a little odd that Chaos would, by default, create an uninstall icon in its Start menu folder that doesn't in fact uninstall Chaos, but UT2k4. Can you clarify what you mean in your quote?

m19
jb

Post by jb »

M19,

the un-installer that UMOD makes is the standard it one any umod makes. In fact you have to go in and hack it out to prevent the UMOD from making the short cut to the un-installer. Its nothing that we did it just happens with most UMODs. What this does is start the normal UT2k4 un-installer. Any thing you installed via a UMOD will be listed in this Un-installer including UT2k4 itself. Thus you check mark which mod you want to un-install and it does the rest for you. So again its nothing we wanted to add its just a "feature" of the UMOD installer. And UT2k4 un-installer worked in the same way for UT2k3 as well.... Maybe if some one can post a pic of their un-installer it would help....
Jb