Small idea for the ChaosUT2 respawn protection

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
*Nemesis*

Small idea for the ChaosUT2 respawn protection

Post by *Nemesis* »

Instead of having the shots stop or blowup harmlessly against you while the protection is active, is it possible to have them ricochet off you instead :?:
Maybe have it as an option :)
Jan-Pieter
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Jan-Pieter »

Hehehe I suggested that last week in our developer forum. Good idea ;)
Omega9

Post by Omega9 »

One thing i hope mappers remember is don't put the spawn points to near the objective in team games - there's nothing worse than grabbing the flag, trying to fight your way out and not being able to kill anyone because they are protected :(
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Omega: you would be right on target with that one. Heh I never really thought about It that way. I just always ran away when i saw a spawn protected player and had the flag. heh. Will keep it inmind ;) Thanx :)
Jan-Pieter
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Jan-Pieter »

SPA suggested to end the spawnprotection as soon as someone decides to use a weapon. This would fix that problem. Of course new spawned players can always try to block your way, but then as soon as they get violant you can take them out.
jb

Post by jb »

We have changed the respawn as Spa suggested. Now as soon as you fire a weapon you loose the protection.
Jb
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Great, now we wont have to worry about it. hehehehehhe.
Omega9

Post by Omega9 »

hehehe - that's something I didn't think of - much easier than making map makers change spawn points - very nice :)
Coupe=UTK=

Post by Coupe=UTK= »

another suggestion for the spawn protection... well, a little intro first...

a while back my clan was discussing our dislike of spawn killing though it was done quite a bit on accident when our server got busy... so one of our members made his own spawn protection mod...

and now for the suggestion: our spawn guard makes it so the spawner can't do damage when protected as well as not take damage...

I found the spawn protection in ChaosUT was more of a hinderance in my LAN games because when someone spawned, they were blasting away and killing me, but I couldn't do anything back...

but then again, if you have it auto disabled when a weapon is fired, my suggestion might not be needed... although it could be added as an option... either "fire disables" or "no damage to or from protected" :)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I found the spawn protection in ChaosUT was more of a hinderance in my LAN games because when someone spawned, they were blasting away and killing me, but I couldn't do anything back...
I felt the same way many times while playing CUT. Especially when I was playing CTF, killed an enemy on my way into their base, only to have him come at me 2 seconds later, with respawn protection. hehe.

Back then I too made a suggestion to improve the spawn protection, though we had like 2 or 3 guys at the time, and it never got done. It's been a long time, and the old forums are gone, but I'm pretty sure I had the same idea you did. Just seemed wrong taking damage from a guy you couldn't hurt back.

Hopefully this new arrangement will remove the problem. Let us know what you guys think after we get it to you for your LAN.
Swift Viper

My ideas

Post by Swift Viper »

Someone said shots should ricochet off of you. I have another idea to add to that. A option to have all shots ricochet off or only energy shots (Shock Rifle and Link Gun) or none at all. Other options would be if you could see the protection person. I might edit this post later with more ideas.
WiCK3D

Post by WiCK3D »

Something also to consider with the ricochet idea is to maybe have the bullet or what ever is being shot at a protected player bounce off him and be reflected to the person who shot at the protected player...might be kinda kewl being chased down by ur own rocket cuz u decided to fire upon a helpless newly spawned player :twisted:
All men think theyre god...but I actually am...serious, i am.