Chaos for UT2007? Some thoughts?

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

You guys really should be asked to be included in the credits or something...
High Council member of The Generals
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

credits?Payroll! :idea:
Steyr

Post by Steyr »

R.Flagg wrote:Assuming there was gonna be a Chaos for UT2007, I think we would first have to wait and see just how much of Chaos is gonna be in the vanilla game.

The CanGun sounds a lot like our Claw.
Feigning Death, Ok, I know it was in UT, but it was also in Q2Chaos.
The Hoverboard. And now we learn that the Hoverboard may include a grappling hook to attach to other vehicles.
Possible deployable Automatic Turrets.
And it sounds like they are taking our approach to combining CTF/VCTF into one game type.

Anyway, who knows what the future will bring. But it certainly seems as if Chaos continues to inspire the Unreal devs. So it would be kind of hard to plan ahead, w/o first waiting to see how many of our current features get put into the vanilla game.
Haha, I never really thought about that. But it's not real suprising considering the way chaos seems to kinda complete the vanilla ut2004. I do hope that the CGL will get in though, cause the 2004 GL is crap, and the CGL is my favorite weapon. The ERDW should stay too. And if it's not already in the game from the package, a kick would be sweet.
I can assure you that I am perfectly sane.

And so is Steyr.

So stop yelling at me or I'll eat your face.

Click here to get a free PSP
chaoskirina

Post by chaoskirina »

I really hope you guys import the melee weps into UT2007. Since the UE3 is capable of melee and much more, there could be huge ideas that, normally would not work with 2k4, working in 2k7. Like for inctance the flail, that could be implemented! Also faster weapon anims, which people have been complaining about. AND Vehicle VS melee matches!
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

TKATK wrote:credits?Payroll! :idea:
Well, I just got my hands on a Xbox demo of UC2, and I gotta say, I'm inclined to agree with you now.

If all the things don't make the argument on their own, put together it starts to look pretty compelling.

Even small stuff. Like advertising jargon like "bone crunching blows", and "bringing a knife to a gun fight", is stuff they have used after I have used them for Chaos. Again - it's not so much one thing here, or one thing there, but you start to look at whole picture and you can't help but think..."hmmmm".

I even saw what certainly looked like Chaos Armor Shards, only I think there are energy pickups of some sort. It wasn't until I had my son use some scope and zoom in on them could you see the dif from a Chaos Armor Shard.

And if you think I'm just imagining things, after all that has been listed, then just take a look at the Chaos Proxy Mines poorly disguised as green globs from the bio gun, and then relook at whole picture and come talk to me.
Mætlöaff

Post by Mætlöaff »

R.Flagg wrote:
Well, I just got my hands on a Xbox demo of UC2, and I gotta say, I'm inclined to agree with you now.

If all the things don't make the argument on their own, put together it starts to look pretty compelling.

Even small stuff. Like advertising jargon like "bone crunching blows", and "bringing a knife to a gun fight", is stuff they have used after I have used them for Chaos. Again - it's not so much one thing here, or one thing there, but you start to look at whole picture and you can't help but think..."hmmmm".

I even saw what certainly looked like Chaos Armor Shards, only I think there are energy pickups of some sort. It wasn't until I had my son use some scope and zoom in on them could you see the dif from a Chaos Armor Shard.

And if you think I'm just imagining things, after all that has been listed, then just take a look at the Chaos Proxy Mines poorly disguised as green globs from the bio gun, and then relook at whole picture and come talk to me.
I think it's due to the fact that Epic realizes that Chaos completes the game. Everything the game seems to be lacking comes into play via Chaos: explodies that jump after people, in depth melee combat, remote turrets, relics, etc.

If Chaos were to go to UT2k7, then we'd have to look at filling in any gameplay gaps Epic puts in rather than falling back on things that have worked in previous versions of Chaos, seeing as Epic seems to have upped the ante for CUT with the new features.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

Mætlöaff wrote:
R.Flagg wrote:
Yap
IYap.
Ofcourse,the ERDW and proxies should be sticked in no matter what..and chaos bastard sword(the UT99 type)
jb

Post by jb »

TKATK wrote:.and chaos bastard sword(the UT99 type)
Not that its a bad thing but the UT99 bastard sword only traced out x units in front of where your player was facing. And blocking was a completly random event. Thats why we made our melee to be better than what we had before as melee under when an evolution if you will :)
Jb
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

it was atleast usefull V.S guns...now you TRULY shouldnt bring a knife to a gunfight
Steyr

Post by Steyr »

TKATK wrote:it was atleast usefull V.S guns...now you TRULY shouldnt bring a knife to a gunfight
Yeah, I totally thing the melee weapons should have a blocking effect, even if it's just an invisible shield gun effect. I REALLY think the weapons need blocking, even if it's not perfect in terms of hit detection.

And so is Steyr.

GB

Post by GB »

hmmm. interesting.

i think we should keep a similar melee system, is the main thing that drew me to chaos - ive alwasy wanted that medievel feel, first person, and chaos delivered.

chaos itself will be tricky - ut2007 seems to have so much added into it. maybe melee vehicles....XD
seriously tho...big chunky ass spiked rollers etc...claws....:P

if anything, i think we should streamline the way chaos is played. sometimes when i played chaos, there was just too many primary colour,s and to much stuff happening to concentrate on. not that the level of detail is a bad thing, but it is very daunting to someone who hasnt played chaos since the begining.

i also think we shouldnt rush things - pressing forward for the ECE msu etc just taxed everyone a lot - not that i did heaps, but i saw u guys getting well hassled, and that aint no good. Slow down, concentrate and let true excellence shine through, even if its only on small areas.

other than whats been chucked around, maybe with a new melee system, i could finally try my medievil seige gametype ive been playing around with for so long...
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
Steyr

Post by Steyr »

I think that blob shield gun they're talking about sounds so cool! :D I think with this engine, we'll see a significant but not neccicarily huge increase in graphics quality, and an absolutely gigantic increase in gameplay options. With kismet, anyone will be able to make cool stuff, like for example the team made a racing game with random track generator in just one day! Thats fricking insane! I mean, most REAL racing games don't have random track generators. It sounds to me like with kismet you could say, "Hey, it'd be totally awesome if you could make somthing like this..." and a few hours later have it DONE. Entire mod projects could take days! If you've ever played a game like Warcraft 3 or Age of Empires 2, with all their crazy stuff like the stay off the grass game and all their RPG's, I'm thinking you'll have the ease of use of that coupled with the full capabilities of a FPS game. I mean, we could be seeing 13 and 14 year old kids making mods with their friends and releasing them the next day over the new web interface of UT3! You could make up a cool idea and make a mod just so that you could play it yourself! Man, the idea of mods without dedication, sweat, and blood sounds just awesome to me. I really can't wait to see what people like Hourances and Angel Mapper do with this.

I'll tell you this, though: there is one thing I do worry about, a thing which almost every moddable RPG has messed up: slow scripts. Somthing like that can just totally screw up a mod. So I hope the team at epic makes sure to totally optimize all the kismet instructions, to make gameplay as smooth as possible. Oh, and I hope that they make it possible for scripters to define their own custom kismet commands. :D

Anyway, that was a long UE3 rant, which really didn't have much to do with Chaos at all. Sorry for making you read it all! :P

And so is Steyr.

Steyr

Post by Steyr »

Oh, and by the time we get UT2007, I may have an actual portfolio to show you all :P .

And so is Steyr.

Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

I dont see the kimset as being too much of a holy grail though. its a tool. nothing else. You can know what all the functions of UED or MAYA are and still not be able to map or model worth a hoot. Having tools at your fingertips does not mean that products will be no sweat.

As for 13 and 14 year olds releasing mods, and the blood, sweat, and dedication leaving the process. I dont really like that prospect. Honed knowledge of gameplay and experience dont come from linking a bunch of triggers together with and/or switches. You need that blood and sweat and tears, because if you dont put your full effort into making something, then you didnt make something quality, you merely made something.
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

More advanced tools simply extend the range of possibilies open to the truely gifted artists.