3236 Patch Breaks ChaosUT2 (edit: patch works fine after all

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
Mad Max RW

3236 Patch Breaks ChaosUT2 (edit: patch works fine after all

Post by Mad Max RW »

Chaos crashes to the desktop with a Runtime Error when trying to run through the Community>User Mods tap.

When trying the ChaosUT2 shortcut I created earlier a Runtime Error shows up. Anybody else having these problems after installing the second official UT2k4 patch? I think I'm just gonna delete everything Chaos and reinstall to see what happens.

Other mods I have such as Air Buccaneers and Alien Swarm continue to run without problems.
MADac0da

Post by MADac0da »

I just installed the patch and chaosut works perfectly here.

Try cleaning out your cache. That did help some people with problems on the previous patch.
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

a reinstall of the mod sounds like it might be helpful

make sure you destroy the entire chaosut2 folder as well as the files in UT2004\System with chaos in their filenames.
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
Mad Max RW

Post by Mad Max RW »

Tried a bunch of stuff and still no dice. To be more specific on the Community>User Mod error is says something about a failure with spawning the GUI Controller or something after staring at the loading window for 10 seconds. Will download and reinstall later today.
jeditobe1

Post by jeditobe1 »

if you try starting it by creating a shortcut for UT2004 and add the -mod=ChaosUT to the end of it.. do you still have a problem?
Mad Max RW

Post by Mad Max RW »

Yes, that's always been my primary way of starting the mod. I double click it, the ChaosUT2 window pops up, wait about 5 seconds and this is what happens:
"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: C:\UT2004\System\UT2004.exe

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."
ChaosUT is the ONLY mod where this error appears. I have several other mods installed and none of them were affected so severely by the patch.
Shuri
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shuri »

Have you tried deleting your ChaosUT2/User.ini's?
Mad Max RW

Post by Mad Max RW »

Yes.

I just deleted everything having to do with Chaos and reinstalled it (umod version). Same exact errors. Here's what I get from the Community>User Mods:
....(Windows version, and that kinda jazz)...

Could not spawn a GUI Controller!

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free
Shortcut gets the same error as I posted earlier.
jeditobe1

Post by jeditobe1 »

do you have a ChaosUT2.ucl in your main system folder? just outta curiousity.
Mad Max RW

Post by Mad Max RW »

Yessir, I do.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

i just installed the patch and tried

it DOES work for me,strange
jeditobe1

Post by jeditobe1 »

Dont suppose you could do a reinstall and re-patch of UT2004?
Mad Max RW

Post by Mad Max RW »

That's the last thing I wanna do. And I get the horrible feeling it won't make a difference. If I can't sort things out by the end of the week then maybe. But I really REALLY hate swapping through 6 CD's like an idiot.

After checking the Atari forums I found I'm not the only person having difficulties with ChaosUT2 post v. 3236. Seems to be the only reported mod with serious (although seemingly totally random) problems.
Mad Max RW

Post by Mad Max RW »

I was playing around with stuff, and unfortunately I didn't fix it completely, I did get UT started. I'm not familiar with Unreal modding so I apologize ahead of time for saying anything that's obvious to the rest of you.

The source of the problem seems to be the Chaos GUIController. I'm not sure what that is, maybe it has something to do with the main menu structure, I don't know. Anyway, the error message tells me that's what's messed up. So, I openned the ChaosUT2.ini file, scroll down to where it says GUIController=ChaosGames.ChaosGUI_UT2K4GUIController (which is at the very bottom of the [Engine.Engine] list surprisingly) and replace it with Ut2k4's default GUIController=GUI2K4.UT2K4GUIController.

Save, start UT, select ChaosUT2 through Community>User Mods, everything minimizes, the ChaosUT2 pic shows up so I know it's booting, then it enters the game. Well, sort of. I now have a totally black screen. An ingame window pops up if I hit escape and have a few options like quitting, going to the server browser, etc.

Well, that's where I am right now.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

have you tried deleting the 2 ini's in the chaosut2/system and letting UT autogenerate em,that seems to fix alot of problems