Problem with sniper rifle

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
mxyx

Problem with sniper rifle

Post by mxyx »

Just installed the chaosUT v1.0; my question is during a multiplayer game, some levels allow the use of the sniper RPB rifle and some don't? The maps that don't only has the regular sniper.

Is there any way to change/correct this? This is a favorite weapon among my friends.

Thanks.
jb

Post by jb »

TO my knowledge there is no reason why that should happen. Make sure you have check the weapons replaced check box. But any time you have the sniper2 you should have the RPB sniper as well. can you give the name of the map you were trying it on so I can double check?
Thanks and sorry for your trouble.
Jb
mxyx

Post by mxyx »

jb, where is the "weapon replaced box" found?

We'll try to play, say the Deck 16 map, and only the regular sniper appears.

Funny thing this, in practice mode on the same map, the RPB is available...just not in multiplayer mode. :?:

thanks
jb

Post by jb »

Its under the UT Mod meun in the ChaosUT config section:

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~chaotic/in ... onfigs.php
Jb
mxyx

Post by mxyx »

I feel like such a dork now :oops: but it works!

Much appreciated, jb. Thanks.
The Trasher

Post by The Trasher »

Actually, sometimes under rare circumstances, usign Worm/Stuffswapper, the Snipers refuse to shot in the right direction, but I think that was just UT screwing up.
Coupe=UTK=

Post by Coupe=UTK= »

well, I noticed right along that the ricochet shots from the sniper are slightly off center when fired... they pull a little to the left when zoomed in... it's like that on my net PC and all three I have on my LAN...
jb

Post by jb »

Coupe=UTK=,

the way the oringal coder did the weapons had a feature to correct for this in off line games using the zoom stops (you should see that the when using the zoom stops you are dead on). However this code does not work thanks to the way UT handles replication in on-line game. The best way to fix it is to re-write the code from the ground up. However we have had this "bug" in the code for a long time and I am thinking of not fixing it. Only due to the time it would take. I already have enough to go to finnish up the last few more serrious bugs we have as well as I need to move to our UT2k3 version ASAP. I promise that any issues left un-resloved here will be fixed in our 2k3 version. Sorry :(
Jb
Coupe=UTK=

Post by Coupe=UTK= »

no biggie... if it's that big a job, it's not worth fixing ;) like I said, I've learned to compensate for it :P
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I've learned to compensate for it
There we go! 8)

They gave me an M16 which did about the same thing when I was tested on a firing range in the woods of Missouri many years back. (the only other state besides Tejas I've vowed never to even fly over again)

I managed to shoot 38 out of 40 targets even so. Because I'm just that good! :wink:

Guess I'm saying that some things like this I don't mind. Kinda makes things feel real. It's not like it's off by much. And what would have happened if I had turned around and told the drill seargent behind me, '38!?! I was robbed! It pulls left!' hehe

Hehe, I know, I know, bragging and barely on topic. But that's me. HI!

I also would think it's neat to someday have weapons which maybe overheat once in awhile. Maybe even misfire and injure and/or kill you once in a great while. Why not? These things happen.
The Trasher

Post by The Trasher »

R.Flagg {MoO} wrote:Why not?
Because its damn annoying?
Bruce Slater

Post by Bruce Slater »

[quote]But any time you have the sniper2 you should have the RPB sniper as well

That's wrong, jb! You don't get the RPB Rifle the same time you pickup
a Chaos Sniper Rifle! What you mean is only possible, if you pickup a
Chaos RPB Sniper Rifle - that means in maps created for CUT. But
the way you say only works, if you pickup RPB ammo!

Thanks, Bruce!
Bruce "Rampage" Slater, the escalating Future Extreme with a freakin' , tweakin' skill!!!
Classification: Futurtist, working on himself,
Most favourite Game: UT with CUT-Modification
UT configs. : 1024x768x16Bit x 2xAA,3dfx Glide
Using A3D/EAX
jb

Post by jb »

Techincally we are both right :)

The way the code works is that when you pick up the sniper2 you get the sniper_rpb but with out any ammo. This is the same way for the crossbow, flak, ug and CAS (meaning when you pick up one you get all of the others of that class just with no ammo for the others). But I know what you ment ;)
Jb
Coupe=UTK=

Post by Coupe=UTK= »

R.Flagg {MoO} wrote: I also would think it's neat to someday have weapons which maybe overheat once in awhile. Maybe even misfire and injure and/or kill you once in a great while. Why not? These things happen.
well, would fit in the whole "chaos" theme, wouldn't it? ;) maybe make it an option to turn on and off? default to on though...
Corvus|CL

Post by Corvus|CL »

I think this would also bring some more balance into the game. You would not be able to dominate a whole match with a powerful weapon, when it's getting too hot for use or it would be jammed if you use it too much. ;)
The European UT2004 and ChaosUT2 Clan