Where's all the chaos servers????

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
digital_death

Where's all the chaos servers????

Post by digital_death »

I can only find very few... Has this mod died down that much?
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Kaboodles

Post by Kaboodles »

There's still a few die-hards like us left. CHAOS WILL NEVER DIE!!!

But yes, as with all games, people eventually move on to other things.

Until the next PR. You guys just wait...
High Council member of The Generals
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

Yea well mabe loadz of players aint such a good idea i mean especialy the way melee is set up now... Imagine loads of ppl and servers come, u join a 32 player server with 1v1 dual -_-. You havent really made the possibilty for loadz of players u sabotaged urselfs! LoL

~ The 0men ~
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

The_0men wrote:Yea well mabe loadz of players aint such a good idea i mean especialy the way melee is set up now... Imagine loads of ppl and servers come, u join a 32 player server with 1v1 dual -_-. You havent really made the possibilty for loadz of players u sabotaged urselfs! LoL
Loads of peeps=Load's of fan's=Load's of server's=Pwnage

youve got it completely wrong

tho some Experienced/good players=some good servers=Pretty much pwnage too
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

When rythmixs is full i blip around like a proxy on speed... and there will always be good players but after a few hours of chaos its possible for complete newbies to win... thats not a bad thing its ur melee system its so good that its just easy to understand.......i mean ur not a rusty metal stick man like some melee mods. I killed some good peeps on the first chaos server i eva joined....in a matter of mins ^^. Probably cos its not a complete conversion mod and the movments i was already used to :)

~ The 0men ~
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by neolith »

The_0men wrote:especialy the way melee is set up now
There is a lot more to CUT than just the melee gametype. ;)
–The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.–
Rythmix

Post by Rythmix »

neolith wrote:
The_0men wrote:especialy the way melee is set up now
There is a lot more to CUT than just the melee gametype. ;)
That seems to be the biggest confusion.. even with me.. I guess its cuz the DUEL gametype is really the only completely "different" game, the rest is just regarded as a weapon pack, some new maps, and a relic mutator. Smart to keep them all in one pack, but it seems that melee is what people are looking for. This is what makes games like Thievery, NightBlade, SoulKeepers, and yes Chaos stand apart from the rest.

Maybe thats the problem, compared to the other melee mods out there, you guys have a rock solid melee system, although somewhat overpowered, the moves and techniques that need to be learned make it the leader in it's class. And as its been mentioned by numerous people before, that gametype seems to hold the largest fan club, I mean the entire Generals Clan is a Melee clan. There's something about the melee game type that gets the user interested.. maybe cuz fps' are a dime a dozen (Ut, CS, Halo, Doom, etc) but there are so few Online melee games. But its not just melee, its a game/story to go with it. I mean I played Thievery mod for UT99 for over 2 years now and I still love that game. Its Melee with sneaking.. its like Splinter Cell meets Robin hood, the splinter cell half holds the sneaking moves and the Robin hood side makes the adventure.

Thats What I think Chaos needs to turn to, something more than just a chop em up and wait till next round, something that allows a story line or goals to be reached via melee and ranged weapons, depending on the situation. And something that is Team based, and more tactical. Gamers like to think to win, its a human nature, something they've earned. Thats why so many of us look forward to the next melee patch, something to spark the interests in the new gametype and hope for more of our ideas to be implemented. And more focus on the melee game type will bring more players IMHO than focus on the new superweapons and things. Don't get me wrong, those weapons like the vortex and claw are Pioneer inventions that put this at the top of the weapons mut category, but that category is deep and easy to get lost in. So far every patch after 3.01 has been un-used on my server, as the fixes and new features really don't apply to melee, yet up until a few weeks ago, my server saw probably 30-50 different players per day. But with no progress in that gametype, people grow tired of it.

Now melee doesn't appeal to everyone, there are also people more interested in the Vehicle side and relic side, but those, like I said earlier, are just considered mutators, and the reason there are so few full clans focusing on chaos is because you don't need clan interaction for a mutator. Now I can't speak for how many players there were on servers hosting the non-duel types of gameplay, but I'm willing to bet that aside from the few active players on this board, there was no strong calling to it. But if you focused more on your more original gametype, Duel, and even more so, the Melee system itself applied to gametypes, you can attract a clan base, which equals many servers, many new players, more constructive tournaments, and a better longevity of the mod.

This is all just my opinion, but food for thought nonetheless.
I also open the floor to those that have read this and have some ideas as to where the gametype could grow, what type of story would make this work best, or if this is even a good point.

I'd say keep the duel gametype as a separate game type for just mano-y-mano combat, but some teambased storyline to get people to realize this is a 250MB Total Conversion, not just a 250MB mutator. Similar to games like capcom vs marvel.. both of the original games had storylines, but when you just wanna round fight, you have an alternative gametype.

Rythmix
Rythm is Gonna Get Ya!
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

I agree and i know we all agree, every1 has been saying it but so far not many have had the guts to say it. Plz listen to ur fans :) .

Yea u dont really think about the rest of chaos it is just skin packs, mutators, static meshs, weapons etc. Btw Chaos isnt a full conversion(i think, saw it said somwhere).

I was thinking of making a assult trials map for chaos(it would bring trials players to chaos and extend melee fans to the game type) but i dont know all the jumping length numbers and stuff like that..... :idea: :twisted: What if u guys make a trials map? :D That would add adventure and more indepth play....somthing a little extra. (ok gonna be harsh look away) ppl dont want the maps u make they r boring and bland like the rest out there...peeps want unique maps so mabe u guys could make trails maps, racing maps that will be a sure bet 4 bring in ppl. Hes also somthing i have noticed that even tho ppl complain about campers, maps with loadz of camping spots seem the rain suprem anyway im rambling.

Only opinions, dont flame my sweet ass :) lol

Melee in trial map would add that being chased feeling from racing map when u gotta beat the odds! Dodge enemys trying to behead u while not dropping in lava. This would just plz assult fans so much :P

~ The 0men ~
Rythmix

Post by Rythmix »

The_0men wrote: ppl dont want the maps u make they r boring and bland like the rest out there..
I wouldn't go that far, I mean the chaos melee maps like immortal, forsaken, and the arenas are hugely cool ass maps, but they are clearly sized for just melee gametypes. And the levels like Groundbeef (and others I've never played) are greatly creative.

And Im NOT saying all this like its something no one had guts to say, Im just offering my ideas and advice on what I've been noticing for some time now. I too, as much fun as I have on Duel, and as Good as I've gotten, its like I've reached the top and there is nothing more for me in duel. a few new maps are one thing, but there's nothing more for me to reach as far as challenge, and a lot of us veterans are getting to that point. There are no other variables to challenge us aside from the other player's skill, which is why there needs to be a few new moves, some harder to master moves, and some tactical techniques and goals that can change with each time you play the game.
Rythm is Gonna Get Ya!
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

Definitly. A lot of us are moving away from the mod because we've seen everything that there's to see played everything that there's to play.

We need more in duel than new maps... New varity. Or at least balance tweaks.

Some players have left long time ago, Code Killer for example... And Phantasma has been forever yelling that duel is awefully thin..

Come on devs, we're hungry for something new in duel. Feed us... :wink:

Your work on your weapon modifications are great and really creative, but they can't really match some of the total conversions out there...

You're best part is duel, just IMHO. Please, work on duel...
Gen_.:Nö_ñAmE:.

Post by Gen_.:Nö_ñAmE:. »

The_0men wrote:I agree and i know we all agree, every1 has been saying it but so far not many have had the guts to say it. Plz listen to ur fans :) .
Yes...Listen to us!

We don't need relics! We need to continue to improve Duel because that is the mode that we play the most...er...use to play the most. :cry:
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

Chaos is insanely fun on LAN. Of course, by now you should expect this from me, but I don't really play on the internet anymore because it just does not compare at all to the LAN experience. Getting together with your best friends and playing Chaos has to be the best fun ever. I spent the whole weekend at a LAN party playing games and had the most fun during our Chaos Vehicle Invasion games. There's nothing like blasting monsters while swinging from a grapple attached to your buddy's raptor. Absolute fun.

LAN > Internet, hands down. It's No Lag + Group Activity... Can't beat that.
Kaboodles

Post by Kaboodles »

While LAN parties are fun, I can't play Chaos in them because:

A.) I don't know anyone in my area who plays Chaos
B.) Parents probably wouldn't let me.

Though I like all of the stuff Chaos has to offer, I think I might have to agree. More melee = more players = more fun.
Rythmix

Post by Rythmix »

Shadowstar wrote:Chaos is insanely fun on LAN. Of course, by now you should expect this from me, but I don't really play on the internet anymore because it just does not compare at all to the LAN experience. Getting together with your best friends and playing Chaos has to be the best fun ever. I spent the whole weekend at a LAN party playing games and had the most fun during our Chaos Vehicle Invasion games. There's nothing like blasting monsters while swinging from a grapple attached to your buddy's raptor. Absolute fun.

LAN > Internet, hands down. It's No Lag + Group Activity... Can't beat that.
Yea, honestly, I dont think all the devs and beta testers went thru all the work for MSU, ECE, and all the patch fixes for a couple of LAN games. Its the potential internet community that feeds the need, and get the recognition and votes from players for contests, and this community needs this little kick to help it grow. This similar thing happened for the UT2003 version of Chaos too. Keep in mind tho, Its just my opinion, but it does seem that many others share these feelings.

And you can keep that gametype around also allow those who want to fight monsters on hoverboards. I'm not saying get rid of the other chaos mutators (for lack of a better term), just go gung ho on the only original weapon system and develop separate story/team based gametypes around them.
Rythm is Gonna Get Ya!