The new ChaoticDreams.org web site

Noteworthy info from the Chaos team (forum Registration code, IRC info, etc)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

The new ChaoticDreams.org web site

Post by R.Flagg »

The new ChaoticDreams.org web site is active, but is still WIP.

As you probably noticed, it is a WordPress web site, so that a non-pro like myself can easily work with it, and make adjustments and whatnot.

What I am open to is helpful suggestions and/or tweaks that can be made to the site, to make it easier on the eyes, or easier to use. Suggestions such as "it sucks", or "get a real web site" will either be ignored or deleted.

What I have done so far is started with the free theme called Twenty Eleven. I then created a child theme, so that we can make tweaks.

One of the first suggestions I got (from MrG), was to eliminate some of the excessive 'whitespace'. I have been working on that, by

-removing the top margin above the header
-reducing header size (header is the area where the search bar is)
-widened the content area for single column (no sidebar) pages
-reduced individual page title size from 36 to 24

PS - I had to reformat each page after making the transition, so some areas might still look really borked. I'm getting to them. But as time goes on, if you see one that doesn't seem to be getting fixed after the transition, I may be overlooking it, so by all means, point that out too please.
Last edited by R.Flagg on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I changed the image gallery plugin I was using on the web site, to one called NextGen, because IMO it looked/worked nicer than the 1st one I was using.

But... , now it seems there is a catch. The last one I was using worked on the Ipod, but this one doesn't seem to be. At least that's what I am seeing. The web site for this plugin says it should work there, as long as I don't use the Flash slideshow part of the plugin, which I am not. ??

The problem seems to be viewing the larger pics. I can view the thumbs just fine, but clicking on them for larger version gives bad results. Screen just flashes weirdly and doesn't show larger pic.

So unless I can figure out why, the question becomes - do I stick with a nicer image gallery for the pc, and forget about ipod compatibility, or do I change back?

I'm tempted to keep it, and forget about Ipods working on the larger pics. It just bums me out, I thought it would be nice for Ipod (and assuming Ipads too) users to see the pics. Those are popular devices these days.

Sigh. If anyone with a mobile device would like to chime in here, please do. What type of device are you using, and does it work for you?
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Removed more whitespace by reducing space between menu bar and page title.

.singular.page .hentry {
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
padding-top: 0;
}

.singular .hentry {
border-bottom: medium none;
padding: 0;
}
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Re: The new ChaoticDreams.org web site

Post by R.Flagg »

Code: Select all

<span class="comments-link">
								<?php comments_popup_link( '<span class="leave-reply">' . __( 'Leave a reply', 'twentyeleven' ) . '</span>', __( '<b>1</b> Reply', 'twentyeleven' ), __( '<b>%</b> Replies', 'twentyeleven' ) ); ?>
							</span>
removed from Showcase Template Page Template

was in this section

// For all other recent posts, just display the title and comment status.
					while ( $recent->have_posts() ) : $recent->the_post(); ?>

<li class="entry-title">
							<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( 'Permalink to %s', 'twentyeleven' ), the_title_attribute( 'echo=0' ) ); ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a>

<span class="comments-link">
								<?php comments_popup_link( '<span class="leave-reply">' . __( 'Leave a reply', 'twentyeleven' ) . '</span>', __( '<b>1</b> Reply', 'twentyeleven' ), __( '<b>%</b> Replies', 'twentyeleven' ) ); ?>
							</span>
						</li>
left here in case I need this info later
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Re: The new ChaoticDreams.org web site

Post by R.Flagg »

//<?php comments_template( '', true ); ?>
removed from Twenty Eleven: Single Post (single.php)

was here

<?php get_template_part( 'content', 'single' ); ?>

<?php comments_template( '', true ); ?>

<?php endwhile; // end of the loop. ?>
left here in case I need this info later