Win2000 Pro: UT2004 lan won't connect. This is just a normal

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
Deathstorm

Win2000 Pro: UT2004 lan won't connect. This is just a normal

Post by Deathstorm »

My dad & I have 2 computers hooked up to eachother by a crossover cable (2 compute lan), but both of us started a listen server, & we could not connect to either of them, I think Norton Antivirus 2005 tries blocking my dads sys., it ask me if I want to block or permit every time he tries to connect. I have UT2004 set to Permit all in options so I don't get that, anyway & when he starts a listen server I can't even get it on my lan list in game.

1. The network is fine.
2. Norton Antivirus 2005 worm blocker is disabled.
3. When either of us type in the IP, we never get past the black connecting screens.
jb

Post by jb »

1) By network is fine, you mean that you can share files back and forth or something simular correct?

2) Do you see the other PC's game when you broswer for lan games in UT2k4? If not then it probably wone work.

3) What do you mean by block screens?

Sorry for your trouble.
Jb
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

The magical 3:
Windows firewall
Antivirus firewall
Any port blocking stuffy

All of them have to checked so that tehy dont close UT's ports OR block UT itself
Deathstorm

Post by Deathstorm »

I can share files across lan.
No firewalls, all blocking software is disabled before starting server.
My dad can see my server for a sec., but it goes away after thet, I can't see his at all.

We both can connect by typing the ip, but it never gets past the connecting screen.

In the last patch did they make it where 2 installs of 1 cd would not connect?
jb

Post by jb »

In the last patch did they make it where 2 installs of 1 cd would not connect?
Yes I have 3 using the same with out any issues.

If you sure both versions of UT have the same patch, ece as well as mods if you playing a mod, I still think we have some other program playing tricks on you. Dont have WinXP with SP2?

Sorry for your trouble.
Jb
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

control pannel->Windows firewall>Turn it off(allows file sharing,but whacks games in some cases if you dont open ports manually)
Deathstorm

Post by Deathstorm »

TKATK wrote:control pannel->Windows firewall>Turn it off(allows file sharing,but whacks games in some cases if you dont open ports manually)
I will check, but I never turned it on.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

its on by default,atleast after installing SP2
Deathstorm

Post by Deathstorm »

Windows 2000 Pro doesn't have a firewall.
jb

Post by jb »

Death, sorry as I have no ideas :(
Jb
Drone-Fragger

Post by Drone-Fragger »

Are they two differatnt copies of UT2004, or is the same copy twice? as some games detect the other persons serial code, to see if its the same as yours, and if it is, doesn't allow you to play that person, like in that piece of crap Steam Client. I don't know if Ut2004 does this though, however if it does, and you have only one copy of ut2004, thats your problem.
I frag mindless drones, Hence the name.
Simple isn't it?
Deathstorm

Post by Deathstorm »

Drone-Fragger wrote:Are they two differatnt copies of UT2004, or is the same copy twice? as some games detect the other persons serial code, to see if its the same as yours, and if it is, doesn't allow you to play that person, like in that piece of crap Steam Client. I don't know if Ut2004 does this though, however if it does, and you have only one copy of ut2004, thats your problem.
Well the thing is we use to play it together just fine. I think Norton Antivirus 2005 might be the prob. I told it to permit UT2004, but it still won't work.