Serious Error

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
jb

Post by jb »

My bad I was getting this crash mixed up with the some others.

My orignal reply should have been:

"Bruce has been reporting consistent relic crashs for some time now (see the thread on peps last map for more info). Looking at the crash log we were getting infinte loops when the relic effects were being destoryed. I found a cleaner way to do that. Gave bruce a modified Chaosgames.u file. He tested it and found it to work..."

Please note I did not mean to throw other fans into it. Sorry for any confusion this has caused.
Jb
genman
The Rail Man

Post by genman »

R.Flagg wrote:This is news to me. I have 0 relics crashes in 3.6.

Certainly have "lag" (fps) from the vengeance explosion (which we are discussing in dev now), but 0 crashes.

Perhaps we ought to be talking about this.
I haven't had any crash issue's while playing, but there is a problem with the vengence turning the whole map orange when it explodes.
jb

Post by jb »

genman1{HHR} wrote:I haven't had any crash issue's while playing, but there is a problem with the vengence turning the whole map orange when it explodes.
Genman1,

yea we know about that. And we think we have found a solution to that. Have made a change and need to test it.
Jb
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

Hmm well, we've discussed removing venge explosion entirely, which I support... Guess the jury's still out on that.
genman
The Rail Man

Post by genman »

Shadowstar wrote:Hmm well, we've discussed removing venge explosion entirely, which I support... Guess the jury's still out on that.
If anything get rid of the spirts instead of the explosion.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

genman1{HHR} wrote:
Shadowstar wrote:Hmm well, we've discussed removing venge explosion entirely, which I support... Guess the jury's still out on that.
If anything get rid of the spirts instead of the explosion.
or tone them down,if spirits lost half of their turning speed/lost 25% speed\lost 25% damage they would be balanced...maybe
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well, I'm hoping that this example helps folks to understand why I feel that it is important not to let the cat out of the bag too early. I think that when you allow folks to see an idea Much too early on, they of course are gonna say it isn't any good, and vote for something else.

Explosions have been done before, and we've all seen them. Big boom, yay. I want something more. Something unique. And the Spirits idea can be just that.

However, if I was in your shoes genman, I would have said the same thing. Because as of right now, they aren't very pretty, or very fun - and certainly not what I personally would call balanced - at all (And Neither of these options ever will be btw, until they stop respecting FF rules).

But - if we can get more work done on them, I feel they have the potential to become something better than just another big boom.

Myself or someone else who's interested ought to search for some of the earliest discussions on Spirits, and take a look at how they were originally proposed (think Raiders of Lost Arc, as the Arc is opened). Can't remember for sure right this moment, but I think much of those converstations were public, in this section of the forums.

So anyway, I think while debating Unique Spirits vs YetAnotherBigBoom is important, the bigger lesson here is about releasing unfinished work to the public.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

R.Flagg wrote: (think Raiders of Lost Arc, as the Arc is opened)
BTW- I just rented that movie again yesterday, and I'm going to be watching it again so as to refresh myself on what exactly I referred to. :wink: