Critical Error and flag bugs

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
Draconis

Critical Error and flag bugs

Post by Draconis »

The Critical error is below:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-02-15_17.02]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2401 MHz with 510MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (5216)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::GetFullName <- TestReach <- UObject::GetFullName <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class Engine.ShadowBitmapMaterial ShadowActor[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ShadowBitmapMaterial CTF-BridgeOfFate.myLevel.ShadowBitmapMaterial17) <- TestReach <- (ShadowBitmapMaterial CTF-BridgeOfFate.myLevel.ShadowBitmapMaterial17) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class Engine.ShadowProjector ShadowTexture[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ShadowProjector CTF-BridgeOfFate.ShadowProjector) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (ShadowProjector CTF-BridgeOfFate.ShadowProjector) <- ULevelBase::Serialize <- ULevel::Serialize <- TestReach <- (Level CTF-BridgeOfFate.myLevel) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosUT.CrossbowStandardAttachment XLevel[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (CrossbowStandardAttachment CTF-BridgeOfFate.CrossbowStandardAttachment) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (CrossbowStandardAttachment CTF-BridgeOfFate.CrossbowStandardAttachment) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosGames.ChaosCTFPawn WeaponAttachment[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ChaosCTFPawn CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFPawn) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (ChaosCTFPawn CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFPawn) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosGames.ChaosCTFRedFlag OldHolder[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ChaosCTFRedFlag CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFRedFlag) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (ChaosCTFRedFlag CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFRedFlag) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosGames.ChaosCTFTeamAI FriendlyFlag[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ChaosCTFTeamAI CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFTeamAI) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (ChaosCTFTeamAI CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFTeamAI) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class XGame.xTeamRoster AI[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (xTeamRoster CTF-BridgeOfFate.xTeamRoster) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (xTeamRoster CTF-BridgeOfFate.xTeamRoster) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosGames.ChaosCTFGRI Teams[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ChaosCTFGRI CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFGRI) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (ChaosCTFGRI CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFGRI) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class Engine.LevelInfo GRI[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (LevelInfo CTF-BridgeOfFate.LevelInfo0) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (LevelInfo CTF-BridgeOfFate.LevelInfo0) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class XEffects.RocketMuzFlash3rd Level[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (RocketMuzFlash3rd CTF-BridgeOfFate.RocketMuzFlash3rd) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (RocketMuzFlash3rd CTF-BridgeOfFate.RocketMuzFlash3rd) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosUT.CUTRocketAttachment MuzFlash[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (CUTRocketAttachment CTF-BridgeOfFate.CUTRocketAttachment) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (CUTRocketAttachment CTF-BridgeOfFate.CUTRocketAttachment) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosGames.ChaosCTFPawn WeaponAttachment[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ChaosCTFPawn CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFPawn) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (ChaosCTFPawn CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFPawn) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosGames.ChaosCTFPlayer AcknowledgedPawn[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ChaosCTFPlayer CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFPlayer) <- AActor::Serialize <- TestReach <- (ChaosCTFPlayer CTF-BridgeOfFate.ChaosCTFPlayer) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class WinDrv.WindowsViewport OldActor[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient.WindowsViewport) <- UPlayer::Serialize <- UViewport::Serialize <- TestReach <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient.WindowsViewport) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class ChaosGames.ChaosGUI_UT2K4GUIController ViewportOwner[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (ChaosGUI_UT2K4GUIController Package.ChaosGUI_UT2K4GUIController) <- TestReach <- (ChaosGUI_UT2K4GUIController Package.ChaosGUI_UT2K4GUIController) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class GUI2K4.fntUT2k4Small Controller[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (fntUT2k4Small Package.fntUT2k4Small) <- TestReach <- (fntUT2k4Small Package.fntUT2k4Small) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class GUI2K4.STY2TextLabel Fonts[0]) <- UObject::Se

If you notice that was player on CTF-BridgeOfFate. While playing on it my bots and I would get knocked off the bridges and the flag would stay down below. The flag never respawned after x amout of time like it sould have, and I play with drop flag on graple so it was impossible to retreave the flag. You guys should either put in a respawn time, or have the flag put back in base if you fall into a kill zone. either one should fix the problem. I love carry the flag, but even they have these clauses
jb

Post by jb »

yea we have made a few tweaks to avoid that type of issue in the future. Thanks for the info!!
Jb
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Just FYI -

http://forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtopic.php?t=4301

The discussion and work on this issue goes way back, I just never documented it very well. I was doing all the news posts and writing most of the docs and the readme at the time - I could have done a better job of letting the issue be known.

But yes, we've been aware of it for a long time, we even referred to it as the 'BOF issue', but it was so limited, mainly just BOF was it noticed, that I/we decided it was a price worth paying to get the 'return your flag' rules back in the game.

It will happen less often in a few other maps as well, but BOF was the prime example.

BTW - the default return time has been reduced to 3 minutes - which should be ample time for any player (who's job it is to get flags) to get to any dropped flags. Which means that it is still in your best interest to pick up your dropped flag and have a go with it, rather than just letting it sit there and waiting for the 'magic' return (which is what I wanted to avoid).

Plus, the return time is still configurable. AND, code has been created to try and make BOF-type situations a non-issue. (something else that still needs beta tester attention)

I too enjoyed the Carry the Flag mutator way back when, and Dr.Sins TitanCTF, and others. Not to mention other game's mods like Loki's Minions. My goal has been, and still is - to at some point in time have helped design/create the ultimate CTF/VCTF game, by combining just the right elements of all of the above, plus some of our own.

This quest will hopefully continue. As far as I'm concerned, the current game or engine we are on will make no difference - whether it's Quake9 or UT2015, it won't matter. The graphics or credits may change a bit, but the ultimate CTF/VCTF game type would essentially be the same.