Error at startup

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
Ubershank

Error at startup

Post by Ubershank »

I've been picking at this for days now but to no avail it seems Chaos refuses to run on my machine.

Critical Error:
UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-02-15_17.02]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3778 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: RADEON X800 Series (6583)

Could not spawn a GUI Controller!

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free
ChaosUT2.log:
Log: Log file open, 02/07/06 22:02:09
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 (Build: 2600)
Init: Version: 3355 (128.29)
Init: Compiled: Feb 15 2005 17:04:22
Init: Command line: -mod=ChaosUT2 -MainMenuClass=ChaosGames.ChaosGUI_MainMenu
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: E:\Games\UT2004\System\
Init: Ini:..\ChaosUT2\System\ChaosUT2.ini UserIni:..\ChaosUT2\System\ChaosUT2User.ini
Init: Build label: UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-02-15_17.02]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Log: ati2dvag.dll/RADEON X800 Series
Log: Game class is 'GameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 2.375000...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Warning: Failed to load 'BonusParticles': Can't find file for package 'BonusParticles'
Warning: Failed to load 'ChaosGames': Can't find file for package 'BonusParticles'
Warning: Failed to load 'Class ChaosGames.ChaosUT_xVotingHandler': Can't find file for package 'BonusParticles'

Log: Browse: ChaosNoIntro.ut2?Name=|23rd|Hitman47?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=NewDua1ity?team=0?Voice=XGame.MercMaleVoice?Sex=M
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Garbage: objects: 16547->16318; refs: 144831
Log: Game class is 'CinematicGame'
Log: Bringing Level ChaosNoIntro.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 3.112000...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Warning: Failed to load 'BonusParticles': Can't find file for package 'BonusParticles'
Warning: Failed to load 'ChaosGames': Can't find file for package 'BonusParticles'
Warning: Failed to load 'Class ChaosGames.ChaosUT_xVotingHandler': Can't find file for package 'BonusParticles'
Warning: Failed to load 'Class ChaosGames.ChaosGUI_UT2K4GUIController': Can't find file for package 'BonusParticles'
IMaster: Could not load interaction [ini:Engine.Engine.GUIController]
Critical: Could not spawn a GUI Controller!
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The system cannot find the file specified
. (2)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: Double fault in object ShutdownAfterError
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: InitEngine
Critical: FMallocWindows::Free
Critical: FMallocWindows::Free
Localization: No localization: Window.IDDIALOG_CrashBox.IDC_CrashBox (int)
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 22 MByte 264 KByte 311 Bytes from HD took 0.102000 seconds (0.068000 reading, 0.034000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.218000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 02/07/06 22:02:17
I've tried several methods such as re-installing the ECE patch and replacing the files that were stated to be missing and even did a clean iinstall of chaos but to no avail anyone here able to help abit?
Finn_bryant

Post by Finn_bryant »

i had the exact same problem.

i think its just a bug in the install, so download and install the new mega bonus pack, which fixed it for me (this includes the ece pack)

http://www.gamearena.com.au/files/detai ... apack-maps

PS if you want to play dual run 3355 patch to bring your version down so that it doesn't crash when you die (issue is being resolved).

hope this helps

reply after trying this
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

its becouse you dont have the ECE bonuspack

i suggest you install the ECE bonus pack( here http://download.beyondunreal.com/filewo ... ack1-1.exe )
and after that reinstall the patch,incase the UMOD bug is still here(didnt test it,and,here http://download.beyondunreal.com/filewo ... ch3369.exe )

ofcourse,the megapack works fine too,but it does have a ten times larger size,too
jb

Post by jb »

Ubershank,

Tk was right, the Bonus Pack is needed. Please get it installed and let us know if you still have issues. Thanks for listing the log file as that will usally show you where the errors are located...
Jb
Finn_bryant

Post by Finn_bryant »

I've tried several methods such as re-installing the ECE patch
READ!!! :D

He has ece, like i did when this bug turned up, i fixed it with the megapack
jb

Post by jb »

Finn_bryant wrote:
I've tried several methods such as re-installing the ECE patch

He has ece, like i did when this bug turned up, i fixed it with the megapack
Well he did such a good job bolding the errors that it was easy not to ready what else he typed :)

But yes for some reason the Bonus Pack still is not being properly installed or registered.

So questions for the user:

1) Can you use any of the new vechiles in the BP in normal UT?

2) Does the BonusParticles.utx file exist in the ut2004\textures folder...
Jb
Finn_bryant

Post by Finn_bryant »

and replacing the files that were stated to be missing
(just joking around now) (and yes i missed that bit at the bottom too but i edited almost straight away)

other questions are good though, and i still think the mega pack will solve it without anyone having to use their heads to work out whats wrong,

and this is probably because the download is mucked up and as this happened to me too, maybe the entire file is mucked up on one server, so its best to download a completly different file with the same stuff in it.
jb

Post by jb »

Another thing that could help is to remove the old chaosut2.ini and chaosut2user.ini files and see if that helps....
Jb
Ubershank

Post by Ubershank »

Thank you for taking your time with responding to my post I've re-installed the ECE bonus pack serveral times and repatched but to no avail.

1) Can you use any of the new vechiles in the BP in normal UT?

Yes I can I can play all the bonus material in the game that came with ECE.

2) Does the BonusParticles.utx file exist in the ut2004\textures folder...

Yes it is there I think chaos is getting confused on where my UT2k4 folder is or somthing of the sort as I have the nessesary files.

Another thing that could help is to remove the old chaosut2.ini and chaosut2user.ini files and see if that helps....

I've tried that but still the same error. :(
Finn_bryant

Post by Finn_bryant »

http://www.gamearena.com.au/files/detai ... apack-maps

seriously, this should fix it, it did for me when the exact same thing happened (log was the same too).

if you don't want to download it or if you have dialup then im stumped as to what to do.

EDIT: fixed bad link
Last edited by Finn_bryant on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jb

Post by jb »

Maybe at this point, a re-install is in order? I really have no ideas how to help you as you have done everything correctly. If you want you can just rename your current UT2004 dir so that way you dont loose any data. Sooo sorry for your trouble...

Just for kicks, can you start just a normal UT2004 game with no mods/muts running. Pick a DM and just wait till the map loads..then see if you have any errors in the ut2004.log file?
Jb
Finn_bryant

Post by Finn_bryant »

You could try the reinstall... but it didn't fix it for me. but then again, our problems might not be exactly the same.

you could also try redownloading the ece as it could be a download error, or similar.

download from a different place to last time.

PS did you try to play chaos before ever playing ut vanilla? thats what i did but that might not have been the cause.

PPS what system do you have, i have a 3 ghz dell 4600 with 768ram and an fx5200 agp 8x, anything the same, just trying to work the bug out (assuming we have the same one.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

If you installed from a zip file, you've probably installed incorrectly.

Make sure you check the instructions:
ChaosUT2 has it's own folder within UT2004, and inside there all Chaos files are put in their respective subfolders - with the exception of two files, which go in the standard UT2004\System folder.

ukx = UT2004\ChaosUT2\Animations
ut2 = UT2004\ChaosUT2\Maps
uax = UT2004\ChaosUT2\Sounds
ini = UT2004\ChaosUT2\System
u = UT2004\ChaosUT2\System
usx = UT2004\ChaosUT2\Static Meshes
utx = UT2004\ChaosUT2\Textures
ogg = UT2004\ChaosUT2\Music (for 3.01 and after - in PR3.0, this goes in the standard UT2004\Music folder)
ChaosGames.ucl = UT2004\ChaosUT2\System

ChaosUT2.ucl = UT2004\System
int = UT2004\System
About the mega pack/3369 installation error from Epic.., all you have to do is open the manifest.ini and change one line -

from version=1

to version=3369

That's it. All fixed. No need to reinstall any patches or packs.

So for a clean install, you simply install UT2004, install the megapack, change one line in manifest, and then CUT2 3.6. Done.
Ubershank

Post by Ubershank »

OK I fixed it, Heres what I did:

First I clean wiped UT from my directory and did a fresh install I patched it up to 3369 using the mega pack but after I installed Chaos it wouldn't play the mod. So I checked my texture folder to see if the bonus files were there and they were not, I was able to use the bonus vehicles and maps after I patched using the mega pack but after installing Chaos it seemed to nerf these files from my drive as I played normal UT2k4 and I couldn't use the new bonus stuff. So I patched over it again into a different folder and replaced the missing bonus files and it worked. Later I re-installed Chaos to see if it would happen again and it did it kept deleting the bonus files from my computer, I re-patched and it worked fine again, so I can only assume it may have to do with Chaos installer (I'am installing Chaos in its independant folder in UT i.e. ...UT2004/ChaosUT2)
Finn_bryant

Post by Finn_bryant »

wierd, i thought you tried reinstalling ece, i did that too.

well, ill make note of that

and congratulations on fixing and sorry that i didn't help and you had to fix yourself