[resolved] Crash on Startup

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
Lethargy

[resolved] Crash on Startup

Post by Lethargy »

I installed version 3.7 with no problem, but whenever I try to run it I get this...

I've tried to launch it in just about every imaginable way, and have ece and 3369... but I can't for the life of me get it to work. And the solution that the other person on here described for the same problem didn't work at all, plus I suspect that was for 3.6 anyway. Also, I had pretty much the same problem with 3.6 before the latest version came out. I really enjoy chaos ut and would love to play it, but I just can't bring myself to reinstall, especially when it isn't guaranteed to fix the problem. :( Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
jb

Post by jb »

Can you run ut2004 ok?

Can your run ut2004 and then activate the mod that way?

Is there a chaosut2.log file that was created?

Sorry for your trouble :(
Jb
Lethargy

Post by Lethargy »

jb wrote:Can you run ut2004 ok?

Can your run ut2004 and then activate the mod that way?

Is there a chaosut2.log file that was created?

Sorry for your trouble :(
I've tried every method imaginable to run the mod, from running the .bat to adding -Mod = ChaosUT2 (or something to that effect) to the command line on the shortcut, to running it in the community tab. And unfortunately the log appears to be completely blank.
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

A long shot, but try deleting your ini's... make a backup first. Also make sure there is only ChaosUT.ucl in your UT/System directory.
jb

Post by jb »

If your missing those files thats VERY BAD. Can you try the full version perhaps? And sorry for your trouble...
Jb
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Re: Crash on Startup

Post by R.Flagg »

Lethargy wrote:I installed version 3.7 with no problem, ....
I'm not so sure about that. You're not up and running yet anyway. :wink: But we'll get you there. Please bear with us.
Also, I had pretty much the same problem with 3.6 before the latest version came out.
Ok. So we know it's not caused by 3.7 (and most likely not Chaos either... but we'll get there one step at a time).
I've tried every method imaginable to run the mod, ....
Ok. But Jb was wondering can you run UT2004 Ok? Can you fire up UT2004 and play, and can you do it with ECE content (ie: start by verifying that your UT2004 w/ECE is working).

And you said "something to that effect", but just to make sure, it's

-mod="ChaosUT2"
Alopexau wrote:Exactly the same error here too, ....
Actually, I'm not sure you have the same thing at all. It looks like yours might be standard issue of missing required files (I think maybe when it says GUI Controller that's what it means).
Azarael wrote:I opened the packages concerned in UEd ...
I can assure you it's not required to open any Chaos packages in UEd to get it running. :wink: Yours is most likely install error as well.

I'd bet $2 of Dorian's money that each of these is install errors.

Please refer to ReadMe/Manual and make sure all required files are in place, and working, and then that all Chaos files are installed correctly.
Lethargy

Re: Crash on Startup

Post by Lethargy »

R.Flagg wrote: Ok. But Jb was wondering can you run UT2004 Ok? Can you fire up UT2004 and play, and can you do it with ECE content (ie: start by verifying that your UT2004 w/ECE is working).

And you said "something to that effect", but just to make sure, it's

-mod="ChaosUT2"
My game runs fine, I couldn't get through the day without at least one 1v1 and one ffa game :D. Also, I did have the commandline exactly like that, just couldn't remember it off the top of my head. But I don't think it's an install error, or at least not one that's easy to fix. I had a little trouble installing initally coz it didn't know how to run the umod (because I used to have unreal installed and it was trying to use that, which was no longer there), but I fixed that and got the installer to work fine. Also, I've unpatched to 3355, uninstalled chaos, repatched, and reinstalled chaos and it hasn't fixed the problem.Thanks for the help, I hope we can get this fixed :)

When I go home tonight first I'll check to see if all the files are where they should be, then if that doesn't help I'll try deleting and backing up my user and ut2004 ini's and see if that does it, if that works then i'll figure out which one it is and then try to find what exactly the problem in the ini is, if I can't i'll just let the ini default and then paste in the chunks from mine that I want to keep. If that doesn't work we'll be back to square one.
Last edited by Lethargy on Wed May 03, 2006 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Cool. Great, thank you.

Maybe we do have an issue here, but finding out can sometimes be difficult. We have to ask dumb questions to make sure everyone has covered the basics 1st (required files, install correctly).

I realize you could easily uninstall and play another mod. Thanks for being patient, and still wanting to play.
Lethargy

Post by Lethargy »

R.Flagg wrote: I realize you could easily uninstall and play another mod.
Wouldn't want to :D.
Lethargy

Post by Lethargy »

Tried everything listed above, all files are where they should be and the proper size (checked one by one with zip, I used the umod to install initially). Nothing worked, still got the same problem.
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

The ini's I was referring to were the ones in the ChaosUT\System folder.
Lethargy

Post by Lethargy »

MassChAoS wrote:The ini's I was referring to were the ones in the ChaosUT\System folder.
tried it with the chaos.ini and chaosuser.ini, as well as my user.ini and ut2004.ini, didn't work :(
heheman3000

Post by heheman3000 »

I installed UT2004 on a computer, and it ran once, and got that error every time afterwards. Nothing in the log either. Sometimes I just wonder...
[url]ut2004://82.165.176.170:7777[/url] - RPG Invasion, I really want some sort of melee chaos invasion on there!
[url]ut2004://82.165.176.170:8777[/url] - Chaos gametypes (all melee except CTF), and lots of other random fun.
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Patch is for 3.6 to 3.7; 3.6 is not the version from the ECE release. The other guys having this problem, please verify that you are either updating from 3.6 or doing a full install. All your chaos files should be located in \UT2004\ChaosUT2\. There should be only one file in \UT2004\System, the ChaosUT2.ucl.
jb

Post by jb »

Try a resinstall of UT2004 as that has fixed errors like this before??
Jb