Missing Something (Textures?)

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
Narse

Missing Something (Textures?)

Post by Narse »

I'd hate to be raining on your guys parade but I seem to be having a major f---ing problem with Chaos pr 3.7

first some background:
I own the ECE version of UT2k4 and that is how I first heard of chaos. I didnt know that there were multilple versions untill a few days ago when I saw a news post on beyond unreal. I was immediately interested and would have downloaded the full version except that I have some problems downloading large files on my 56k modem. I therefore decided to download the patches as I am usually able to complete files around those sizes. I looked on beyond unreal for the previous patches and seeing only 3.6->3.7 and 3.5->3.6 I assumed that I had v3.5. Because of this I downloded and tried to install the 3.6 patch (note: all the files I downloaded are Umods because of there smaller size). If I remember correctly (this happened a few days ago) the patch installed but didnt work when i tried to run it (via desktop shortcut) and led me to belive that I probably had pr3.0 (is that what shipped w/ ECE?) so i looked on your site for the archived patches. I downloaded them all (at about a rate of 1 per night). I think that I tried to install pr3.01 via umod patch thinking that it would overwrite all of the stuff from 3.6 and I would end up with standard 3.01. once again the install went fine. However when I tried to run chaos I got an error message it said something like:

Microsoft visual C++ error!
the program has asked the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way
please contact the program developers

I assumed this was due to my mis patch w/ 3.6 so I attempted to uninsall chaos and later reinstall it from my ECE dvd. I think I managed to do this (the installer for the ECE mods is really odd). After removing I noticed that the ChaosUT2 folder still existed in the UT2004 diredtory so I atemped to delete it. for some reason I wasn't allowed even tho I am an admin. anyhow I reinstalled chaos from the dvd and I think itested it, if i remember correctly it worked and I noticed that some of the maps from the 3.01 patch were still around and they seemed to work (I didnt test the duel maps because I read that duel wasnt compatable with 3369 which I was runing, but i do distinctly remember playing a game of ctf on a chaos map I had never played before). I then patched to 3.01: it didnt work. so i tried some combination of uninstalling, reingstalling, and deleting the files the 3.01 readme said to delete if you use the .ZIP patch (remember I'm using the umod). I eventually concluded that this error message was no falult of my own and probably just a compatibility issue w/ 3369 or someting.

anyhow a few days later I installed the 3.5 and 3.6 patches as I was about to install the 3.7 patch I noticed that the 3.7 patch wasn't a .ut4mod file like the others but was a .umod file (the icon was a dead give away). I thought that this was suspect but decided to install it anyway. Anyhow the install seemed to go fine, files were copied that had belivible file paths and names it seemed like the only difference was that the setup interface was a little different and that the weblink at the end was for the Unreal tournament websit insdead of the UT2004 website.

Now then. The problems started when I went to go test my now pr3.7 version of Chaos. Some of the things I noticed in aproximate order of when I saw them are as follows:

SETTINGS MENUE:

1)Some of the character models didnt have corrisponding models in the 3d view next to the portait list (I had experienced this before when I thested one of the other patch versions) so if I had a character model selected and then clicked on a different portrait some of them wouldn't change the model displayed

2)In the configure controls section there were 2 Chaos UT2 sections, so the headings looked someting like this: ... Chaos UT 2, Jailbreak (remember I have the ECE edition mods installed), UnWheel, Chaos UT 2. The costomized setings I had specified during my test of my 3.00 reinstall were in the first chaos seting, no keys were maped to the list of commands under the second heading (the commands were identical tho, the standard stuff like: gravbelt toggle, grapple, kick, drop relic, etc.)

3)On the wepons tab the chaos weapons didn't have there models displayed when they were selected. Similarly to the character models if I had a normal wepon selected then selected a chaos wepon the displayed model would not change but the text discription would. However the discription wouldn't change if I switched between chaos wepon selections.

4)There didn't appear to be a place to select a spray paint (isn't this normaly under the chaos tab?)

5)There was no weapons tab. at first I thought this was just a change made in the update.

After geting all my settings right and noticing what seemed to be a few minor mistakes (those listed above) I decided to play a botmatch. I also encountered several problems with this.
The first was that all the chaos maps had no prievew pictures, even tho some of the same ones had prieviews in ver. 3.0. I disregarded this and decided to try to play anyway. after configuring the gameplay I clicked the play button and was taken back to the maplist configuration screen instead of to the load screen. I then tried to play a Horde Hunters game. I set the maplist for all of the chaos maps. When this also took me back to the maplist selection screen (along with a menue sound effect) even if I was alread at the maplist screen (just the sound effect). I added Morpheus 3 to the maplist. still no luck. when I moved Morpheus 3 to the top tho I got the loading screen and the map loaded. While spectating I noticed a lack of wepon placements on the map (which I am quite familar with). I chalked this up to the game type being HH and only having meele wepons (as I've read there are). This prompted me to bring up the in game menue (I hit Esc) to select a meele wepon. Under the Melee tab I noiced a distinct lack of Anyting ecept the arrows underneath where the wepon model is supposed to be displayed. If I remember corectly I also noticed that there was a spray paint selection under the chaos tab (of the in game menue, not the settings menue, I didn't check there) although it had not been in the settings menue I accessed from the game's Main menu. Despite the lack of melee options I decided to start the game. It worked fine except that niether I nor the bots spawned with meele wepons (in fact there were no wepons at all in the map) and the fact that the monsters never spawned. However the relics did spawn (Yay!) and their effects worked (at least as far as I observed on the bots), the double dammage powerup also spawned but I didn't notice weather or not the health and armor did.
After that I exited the 'game' and chaos entirely. I checked the textures file. both the Monsters and Meele textures seemed to be there. I then ran the game again. This time all of the chaos only game types (duel, koth, etc.) were missing from the custom gametypes selection. When I looked at the maps in the other gametypes available I noticed that all of the chaos ones were missing from those. I promptly decided to seek help at this site.

Any how I read the note that suggested I copy the chaosut2.log file and when I found it the info it contained seemed to be very illuminating. Apparently just about everything that could go wrong did. Here is the text coppied from the chaosut2.log:

Log: Log file open, 05/04/06 20:50:57
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 (Build: 2600)
Init: Version: 3369 (128.29)
Init: Compiled: Nov 23 2005 16:23:34
Init: Command line: -MainMenuClass=ChaosGames.ChaosGUI_MainMenu -mod=ChaosUT2 -newwindow
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: D:\Program Files\UT2004\System\
Init: Ini:..\ChaosUT2\System\ChaosUT2.ini UserIni:..\ChaosUT2\System\ChaosUT2User.ini
Init: Build label: UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Log: Splash screen filename is '..\ChaosUT2\Help\ChaosUT2Logo.bmp'
Log: nv4_disp.dll/NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (Sony)
Log: Game class is 'GameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 3.958000...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Log: Browse: ChaosNoIntro.ut2?Name=Narse?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Rapier?team=1?Sex=M?Voice=XGame.RobotVoice
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Garbage: objects: 27610->27610; refs: 280344
Log: Game class is 'CinematicGame'
Log: Bringing Level ChaosNoIntro.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 5.817000...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Warning: Failed to load 'LadyChaosSkins_Faye': Can't find file for package 'LadyChaosSkins_Faye'
Warning: Failed to load 'Material LadyChaosSkins_Faye.FayePortrait': Can't find file for package 'LadyChaosSkins_Faye'
Log: Failed to load 'Material LadyChaosSkins_Faye.FayePortrait': Can't find file for package 'LadyChaosSkins_Faye'
Warning: Failed to load 'LadyChaosSkins_Faye': Can't find file for package 'LadyChaosSkins_Faye'
Warning: Failed to load 'Material LadyChaosSkins_Faye.FayePortrait': Can't find file for package 'LadyChaosSkins_Faye'
Log: Failed to load 'Material LadyChaosSkins_Faye.FayePortrait': Can't find file for package 'LadyChaosSkins_Faye'
Progress: Exporting UWRC-LostGods...
Warning: Failed to load 'carribean': Can't find file for package 'carribean'
Warning: Failed to load 'Grafik': Can't find file for package 'carribean'
Warning: Failed to load 'UWRC-LostGods': Can't find file for package 'carribean'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary UWRC-LostGods.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'carribean'
Warning: Error loading UWRC-LostGods !
Progress: Exporting VCTF-CE-SubMagma...
Warning: Failed to load 'ChaosPlayerModels': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'ChaosUT': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'VCTF-CE-SubMagma': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary VCTF-CE-SubMagma.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading VCTF-CE-SubMagma !
Progress: Exporting ONS-CE-DryIce...
Warning: Failed to load 'ChaosPlayerModels': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'ChaosUT': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'ONS-CE-DryIce': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary ONS-CE-DryIce.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading ONS-CE-DryIce !
Progress: Exporting KOTH-Sewers...
Warning: Failed to load 'KOTH-Sewers': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KOTH-Sewers.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading KOTH-Sewers !
Progress: Exporting KOTH-Pyramid...
Warning: Failed to load 'KOTH-Pyramid': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KOTH-Pyramid.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading KOTH-Pyramid !
Progress: Exporting KOTH-Fise...
Warning: Failed to load 'KOTH-Fise': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KOTH-Fise.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading KOTH-Fise !
Progress: Exporting KOTH-FIAB...
Warning: Failed to load 'KOTH-FIAB': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KOTH-FIAB.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading KOTH-FIAB !
Progress: Exporting KOTH-Dungeon...
Warning: Failed to load 'KOTH-Dungeon': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary KOTH-Dungeon.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading KOTH-Dungeon !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Manta...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Manta': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Manta.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Manta !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Internus...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Internus': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Internus.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Internus !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Infested...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Infested': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Infested.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Infested !
Progress: Exporting Duel-HallowedMarsh...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-HallowedMarsh': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-HallowedMarsh.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-HallowedMarsh !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Graveyard...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Graveyard': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Graveyard.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Graveyard !
Progress: Exporting Duel-DesertGrave...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-DesertGrave': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-DesertGrave.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-DesertGrave !
Progress: Exporting Duel-DeadAir...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-DeadAir': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-DeadAir.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-DeadAir !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Cyberspace...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Cyberspace': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Cyberspace.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Cyberspace !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Canopy...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Canopy': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Canopy.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Canopy !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Arena][...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Arena][': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Arena][.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Arena][ !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Arena2...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Arena2': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Arena2.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Arena2 !
Progress: Exporting Duel-Arena...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-Arena': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-Arena.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-Arena !
Progress: Exporting Duel-ArchEnemy...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-ArchEnemy': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-ArchEnemy.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-ArchEnemy !
Progress: Exporting Duel-AnkhetsTemple...
Warning: Failed to load 'Duel-AnkhetsTemple': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary Duel-AnkhetsTemple.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading Duel-AnkhetsTemple !
Progress: Exporting DM-CE-Stronghold...
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CE-Stronghold': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CE-Stronghold.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading DM-CE-Stronghold !
Progress: Exporting DM-CE-Punkbop...
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CE-Punkbop': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CE-Punkbop.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading DM-CE-Punkbop !
Progress: Exporting DM-CE-OilRig...
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CE-OilRig': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CE-OilRig.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading DM-CE-OilRig !
Progress: Exporting DM-CE-GroundBeef...
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CE-GroundBeef': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CE-GroundBeef.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading DM-CE-GroundBeef !
Progress: Exporting DM-CE-ChaosDM1...
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CE-ChaosDM1': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CE-ChaosDM1.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading DM-CE-ChaosDM1 !
Progress: Exporting DM-CE-Bounce!...
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CE-Bounce!': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CE-Bounce!.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading DM-CE-Bounce! !
Progress: Exporting DM-CE-Bloodlust...
Warning: Failed to load 'DM-CE-Bloodlust': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary DM-CE-Bloodlust.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading DM-CE-Bloodlust !
Progress: Exporting CTF-CE-Setekh...
Warning: Failed to load 'CTF-CE-Setekh': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary CTF-CE-Setekh.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading CTF-CE-Setekh !
Progress: Exporting CTF-CE-Gargotha...
Warning: Failed to load 'CTF-CE-Gargotha': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary CTF-CE-Gargotha.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading CTF-CE-Gargotha !
Progress: Exporting CTF-CE-Contention...
Warning: Failed to load 'CTF-CE-Contention': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary CTF-CE-Contention.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'ChaosPlayerModels'
Warning: Error loading CTF-CE-Contention !
Log: ALAudio: Using DirectSound to record audio.
ScriptLog: New Player Narse id=f32be577d4b847e41bec82695923e723
Log: Opened viewport
Log: Enter SetRes: 800x600 Fullscreen 1
Log: Using back-buffer format 23(16-bit)
Log: Using depth-buffer format 80(16-bit)
Log: Creating device
Log: xD3DHelper::Init (QuadEmulation)
Log: OS doesn't support IME.
Log: Startup time: 14.597000 seconds
Log: Precaching: ChaosNoIntro.LevelInfo0
Log: Static mesh batches: 0 vertex bytes, 0 index bytes
Log: Allocating 16384 byte dynamic index buffer.
Log: Finished precaching geometry in 0.008 seconds
Log: Finished precaching textures in 0.000 seconds
Debug: ChaosGUI_MainMenu.Opened() Sender:Package.ChaosGUI_MainMenu
Log: URL: Adding default option Name=Narse
Log: URL: Adding default option Class=Engine.Pawn
Log: URL: Adding default option Character=Rapier
Log: URL: Adding default option team=1
Log: URL: Adding default option Voice=XGame.RobotVoice
Log: Browse: Index.ut2?disconnect?Name=Narse?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Rapier?team=1?Voice=XGame.RobotVoice
Log: Failed; returning to Entry
ScriptLog: ChaosGUI_MainMenu NotifyLevelChange PendingConnection:False
Log: GP=FALSE
Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport
ScriptLog: New Player Narse id=f32be577d4b847e41bec82695923e723
Log: Static mesh batches: 0 vertex bytes, 0 index bytes
Warning: Gametype ChaosGames.ChaosDuel found but it has no maps
Warning: Gametype ChaosGames.ChaosKotH found but it has no maps
Warning: Gametype ChaosGames.ChaosTeamKotH found but it has no maps
ScriptLog: Using the ChaosUT MapListManger
Debug: ChaosGUI_MainMenu.Opened() Sender:None
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Exit: Preparing to exit.
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unbound to Window.dll
Log: Unbound to Core.dll
Log: Unbound to Engine.dll
Exit: Game engine shut down
Log: Unbound to WinDrv.dll
Exit: Windows client shut down
Log: Unbound to D3DDrv.dll
Log: Unbound to XGame.dll
Log: Unbound to IpDrv.dll
Log: Unbound to Editor.dll
Log: Unbound to Fire.dll
Log: Unbound to XInterface.dll
Log: Unbound to UWeb.dll
Log: Unbound to Onslaught.dll
Log: Unbound to ALAudio.dll
Log: Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Exit: OpenAL Audio subsystem shut down.
Log: Garbage: objects: 53236->0; refs: 280344
Exit: Object subsystem successfully closed.
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 137 MByte 77 KByte 154 Bytes from HD took 10.761016 seconds (10.514016 reading, 0.247000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 4.256935 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Memory Allocation Status
Uninitialized: Curr Memory 0.483M / 5.621M
Uninitialized: Peak Memory 135.112M / 137.406M
Uninitialized: Allocs 1059 Current / 3604056 Total
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 05/04/06 20:52:19

Anyhow I'll try to see if I can use someone else's connedtion to download the entire mod. Hopefully this all is just the result of one really f---ed up patch. And I'm sorry for being so long winded.
Narse

Post by Narse »

Sorry. When I posted this I didn't think it had anything to do with the thread below (after all im not having problems in start up). However I was getting the same error message. The difference is patching to 3.7 made the error message go away but also seemed to remove nearly all chaos content. I'll check the readme to see if my files are in the right place. One more thing: could this theorized install problem be caused by using a .Umod as opposed to a .UT4mod file? I swear my 3.7 patch is called: ChaosUT2_PR37_patch.umod,
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Re: Missing Something (Textures?)

Post by R.Flagg »

Narse wrote: Hopefully this all is just the result of one really f---ed up patch.
Actually, it's not the patch at all.

Sorry to say, but there is no patch from ECE to later versions. You must download the full mod.

Use a download manager if the size is an issue for you. GetRight is a good example, even 56k users can get any size file w/o issues.
jb

Post by jb »

Narse,

Try what Flag suggested and sorry about that. Epic gave us a severe space limit and we to CUT many things out in-order to fit them on the ECE disk. And when we looked at a possible patch for the ECE the size of the patch was not much smaller than the full download do to the number of things that we had to remove..thus did not make much sense to have one for the ECE. Sorry for your trouble but please let me know if that works. And thanks for your time.

Jb
Jb
jb

Post by jb »

Narse any update?
Jb