Game not installing on mac

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
levbot

Game not installing on mac

Post by levbot »

alright, i saw this website and thought this game would look cool but installing it on a mac is a total pain.

i have the basic g5 imac setup, and the bonus pack and the latest version of UT2K4.

first i downloaded the .umod total thing, and had no idea what to do with it so i tried the .zip download, and got the mac installer running. i put in the filepath for the game, then tried putting the .zip filepath in the second line and pressed "install", it had a little load then said it was sucsessfully installed, but when i went onto UT2K4 there was no sign of a mod, there wasnt anyhting in the community section under mods.

so then i tried putting the filepath to the .umod file and it wouldnt accept the filepath, so i changed the extension to .UT4MOD and it had to "correct the spaces", and began to install. after a long wait, it came to the end of the progress bar and an alert popped up...

"An exeption of class NilObjectExeption was not handled.
The application must shut down."

and once again, there absoluteley no sign of a mod ever being installed!

what is going on? also, keep stuff dumbed down, im not tech savvy. :x
Romulus777
Location: in front of my computer waiting for 5 mods to download at once

Post by Romulus777 »

ah yes, the good ol' iMacs. You need to use the zip install. here are some instructions that I got from Halprin (the mac expert) way back
Halprin wrote:OK, try this:

*Expand the .zip of Chaos 3.6 (full version not the update).
*There should be 2 folders in there. A System folder and ChaosUT2 folder.
*Now control/right click on the UT2k4 application and from the contextual menu, select "Show Package Contents". A new window will appear as if the UT2k4 was a folder and not an application.
*Now, make a new folder in the UT2k4 'folder', that appeared in the last step, called "ChaosUT2".
*Click and drag all the contents in the "ChaosUT2" folder that was in the .zip into the folder "ChaosUT2" that you created in the previous step.
*Now click and drag all the contents of the "System" folder that was in the .zip into the folder "System that should already be in the UT2k4 'folder'.
you're going to have to do that with every mod, map, or skin you download.

If you want to start up in the chaos you need to use Halprin's progam http://idisk.mac.com/kendallp/Public/fi ... tarter.sit
proxys rule cuz they r funny a proud mac user

Code: Select all

All ur base r blong to us
Viva the Revalution

CLICK HERE! (I need 20+ clicks to win)
halprin
MAC Daddy

Post by halprin »

Hey, sorry about the pains.
When it said that it installed correctly, it really did. You don't need to do those things in the quote unless you never got a "Mod was installed successfully" (but you did). So, all you need is the starter program that Romulus linked in the previous post so that UT2k4 starts up with the Chaos mod. If you have further problems contact me on AIM by the username halprinp. Also, what is the version of the Mod UT2k4 installer program that you used?
Next PR release date: 2 weeks
Bass00nGuy

Version 3.7 not working on my Mac

Post by Bass00nGuy »

Dear Chaos group,
I have a 12" PowerBook, with a fully patched version of UT2004, and I have tried to install this mod, using both the ZIP and UMOD versions. I tried to access the application that is referenced earlier that Halprin wrote, and it is a dead link. Is there another site with that program?

I also tried to manual ZIP way, and I can play the maps, but I do not see the mutator, or the Mod anywhere. Is this a problem with 3.7? Is there a way to get 3.6 if that is indeed the case?

Please help! What I have played so far is awesome, and I would love to be able to do it all...
Bass00nGuy

Never mind. I found the error...

Post by Bass00nGuy »

Part of the problem was I had a version of 3.0, which I thought was 3.7. Secondly, you don't make a new folder, you put the Animations folder contents into the Animations folder in the UT2004 folder, and do so for every corresponding folder and its contents. That is how you install all add-ons with that set up, not just UT.

Now, I can say, that this Mod is one of the best I have played on UT2004! Melee weapons all the way!
jb

Post by jb »

Bass,

sorry about that, Halprin had been doing all of the MAC stuff for us as he has one and we don't. Just with real life work, ect no time...
Jb