No .ini File

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
coopdvi1

No .ini File

Post by coopdvi1 »

I installed ChaosUT2 3.6, and it works fine except for the fact that there's no .ini file in the Chaos\System folder. This of course means that there are certain options that I can't adjust. Can you help me?

SJC
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

Well, you can download and install the CUT2 PR3.75 here, it is far more better and .ini files are included :)
Be excessive.
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

You may needed to disable the Vista UAC (User Access Control) temporarily while you install the mod. It has sometimes weird effects with game installations. If that happens to be the problem that causes no ini to be created, let us know.
coopdvi1

No Dice

Post by coopdvi1 »

I installed 3.7, and then 3.75, and still no .ini file. I am installing it on Vista, so the User Access Control may be the problem. If I only knew what that was... Hmmm...
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

You can google it to see what it is and there are howto's for disabling it.
genman
The Rail Man

Re: No Dice

Post by genman »

coopdvi1 wrote:I installed 3.7, and then 3.75, and still no .ini file. I am installing it on Vista, so the User Access Control may be the problem. If I only knew what that was... Hmmm...
To turn off User Access Control in Vista.....Go to the control panel......Switch to Classic View (it says it on the left side) then select user accounts, at the bottom you'll see (turn user account on/off) select that and uncheck the UAC check box.

I'm running Chaos in Vista without any problems, what way are you installing it. UMOD or ZIP.
coopdvi1

No Dice

Post by coopdvi1 »

Thanks, genman1{HHR} for the UAC information. It actually fixed another Vista problem I was having. But I digress...

So I turned off UAC and reinstalled Chaos 3.7 with via .ZIP, and then Chaos 3.75 via .UMOD; still, no ChaosUT2.ini file in the UT2004/Chaos/System folder. Any suggestions, guys?

SJC
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

That file *should* be generated the first time the mod is launched. It is not generated during the install however.

Try running UT with -mod="ChaosUT2" in the startup line and see if it generates it for you after the installation. It should also generate a ChaosUT2user.ini file as well.
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
jb

Post by jb »

Sorry guys did not see this until now, but Jedi is right, those files have to be generated at the first time chaos is ran on the pc...
Jb
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

From his first post, it sounded like he did run it and there was no ini file.
coopdvi1

Correctimundo

Post by coopdvi1 »

I ran it already. I ran the ChaosUT2 and the UT2004 (for completeness). Don't know what I did wrong: it works fine on our Windows XPs--the five Windows XPs we have here. That's why I think it's Vista. But what do I know.

Tech woes are depressing. :(
genman
The Rail Man

Post by genman »

When you start Chaos are you able to make changes to your setting using the settings tab. If so then start Chaos and play a map of any Chaos game type. After that go into you Chaos system folder and open the ChaosUT2 log file. Look about 8 to 9 line down and see where it's initiating the settings INI from.

I'm using Vista and here's what mine says.

Init: Ini:..\ChaosUT2\System\ChaosUT2.ini UserIni:..\ChaosUT2\System\ChaosUT2User.ini

Just so we're all on the same page.

X/UT2004/ChaosUT2/System

The X would be whatever directory you installed UT2K4 in.

Thanks
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

The ChaosUT2.log file would be in the same directory as the ini.
X/UT2004/ChaosUT2/System

If there is no ini, there might not be a log file either... but check anyways.
coopdvi1

Eureeka!!!!!

Post by coopdvi1 »

I found the problem. You guys said that some of the system files aren't generated until you run Chaos for the first time. I thought I'd done this, because I use Chaos UI all the time (instead of UT UI). As it turns out, I hadn't: apparentily, "running" Chaos is actually running a Chaos gametype. I usually play one-on-one vehicular deathmatch or multiplayer vehicular team deathmatch, both of which aren't Chaos gametypes and therefore don't generate the system files. So, wanting to cover all of my bases, I thought a bit, stareted Chaos DM, and generated the files. Now all is right with the world.

As a post script, I put everyone through all of this trouble because I wanted to adjust some of the Chaos settings that weren't in the UI (e.g., Chaos vehicle appearances). I most recently checked the Chaos settings (as per your instructions), and found that you guys had added the options I wanted to the UI. So, as it turns out, I didn't need the .ini anyway.

*shrugging shoulders*

Thanks for the effort everyone. Sorry for the wasted time. :(

SJC
Kyllian

Post by Kyllian »

Actually, I think going into Settings after starting Chaos up should do the same
(Melaneus) Dammit, don't you know Furrysound's actually this hot anthro cat goddess? Who does server administration?