Original UT and Chaos issues

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
MessiahComplex

Original UT and Chaos issues

Post by MessiahComplex »

I recently stumbled upon the ChaosUT mod at a FileFront deal, and thought it sounded and looked awesome. So I downloaded it, it gave me an .exe, which I used and installed it to my UnrealTournament directory. I open up UT and there's the Mod dropdown menu, but when I click on it, nothing shows up...

Example 1:

I click on the dropdown menu for Gametype, and I get blank spaces...

Example 2:

I do, however, have the mutators, but they don't work...

Example 3:

Another problem I have is that I can't use the alt-fire anymore after having installed it.

Any ideas?

Edit:
Even after uninstalling ChaosUT, I can't alt-fire...

Edit2:

Do I even have the right game? I got this thing from a pawn shop that just said Unreal Tournament. I'm gonna feel like such an idiot if I've been trying to use Chaos on the wrong game...
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hi. Thanks for trying Chaos. And yes, that's the right game (great game too).

You might just need to update your version of UT with the latest patch, and bonus packs. The requirements for Chaos are Unreal Tournament v436, Bonus Pack 1, and Bonus Pack 4.
MessiahComplex

Post by MessiahComplex »

I do? Awesome. I was wondering because I was sifting through some screenshots of UT 2004 (as that's what your site says is required) and that is totally not what I have...
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well, now you are confusing me. :P

We have a mod for UT, and UT2003, and UT2004 (and Quake2).

The pics you have posted in this thread, are for UT. But now in your last post, you mention UT2004.

Each version of the mod is free, and each version is still available to download. All you need to do is pick a version of UT. :wink:
MessiahComplex

Post by MessiahComplex »

Oh jeez...I didn't see the ChaosUT link in the Downloads section. My bad.

Edit1:

I see a lot of .umod stuff. I read through some of the info/doc things, and it said that I just need to open the .umod to install. But my computer doesn't recognize a umod as an install program. BeyondUnreal says it has .zip files for the bonus packs, but in the .zip file, it's just the .umod. Is there a specific program I need to use with .umods?

And the info/doc section of the site, says that there's instructions to come with the program to tell you how to install using the files the non-umod has, but the help file says that I need to go to the online documentation thing...

"For documentation, please refer to the online documenation
pages provided with ChaosUT Version 1.1. To open the CUT Docs,
open the startme.html in the UnrealTournament/Help/chaosut/
folder. For additional information, please refer to the proper
section of the ChaosUT website."

Startme says:

"The second method for installing ChaosUT is via a .ZIP file containing all the files necessary to use ChaosUT, but with instructions for manually placing them where they need to go. This is one solution for those who cannot use the .UMOD format for whatever reason, but is a bit more time consuming and can cause problems if the instructions are not followed correctly."

...What instructions?

Edit2:

I was out strolling around town and I stumbled upon a copy of Unreal Tournament: GOTY. Cheap as heck, so I bought it. It says v436 at the top right, and has a couple of mutators and maps I haven't seen in my previous version of Unreal Tournament. Is there any way I can check to see if it has the bonus packs required? And are there any other differing instructions on how to install ChaosUT? (I'm not sure if it's in it, as I've read/heard rumors of it to be; there's no CUT gametypes/maps/etc, haven't seen the CUT mutators either, so I assume not)

Edit3: I seem to have gotten it to work with a little experimentation with GOTY. I love it. Thanks for the help, R.Flagg (Not being sarcastic, either. Text is hard to interpret sometimes.) Though it really is something that should be looked into, the round-a-bout with instructions deal...