Poll Results - How do you see the current release of CDM?

Discussion for the original Quake 2 Chaos. (DM & CTF)
MassChAoS

Poll Results - How do you see the current release of CDM?

Post by MassChAoS »

How do you see the current release of ChaosDM?
Great, no improvements needed. - 6
Ok, minor changes needed. - 4
Needs some real fixen' up. - 1
This is a Q2 mod? - 1
No comment. - 1

Poll ran from 06/06/02 to 06/20/02.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

ChaosDM? As in Q2?

Hmmm.., in that case, polls are misleading. I don't know too many regular players who would say 'no improvements needed'.

Kicking weapons alone is worthy of a release. Countless arguments and players getting booted off of servers over that one.

Then there's the health bug, the airgun bug, and the list goes on.

Yes it's an awesome mod, but in need of tweaks for sure.

'Course only 13 people replied, but still, it's misleading.

BTW -what's the oldest mod still being played? Any ideas? 'Cause someday, I can see MooTown giving them a run for the record.

If so, I'll be there.

MOO
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Yes, I hope someone volunteers to fix those bugs. :)
CybeR

but how can i help?

Post by CybeR »

but where can i make changes to reduce the numbr of bugs? :borg: :borg:
I rule this World!
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

I knwo what the healthbug is, but whats the airgun bug.... personally I'd like to see that thing take ammo of some kind
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well MrG, Sir, I agree with you.

The airgun bug in Q2 is when the airgun blows players 'off the map'. Sometimes you merely get stuck in a wall or ceiling, which is bug enough, but many times you are blown clean off the map, into nowhere land.

<shameless plug><for my fav>We are about to release the new Utility Gun for ChaosUT, and along with fire and ice, it shoots air. And I think we've done a fair job of making it less of a spammers favorite toy.

Now, it still will not require ammo, and it is still very powerful. But..., it also has a reduced rate of fire, and the spread has been much reduced. Which means you must be very accurate, and if you miss, well, you might not get another chance.

And I've yet to be blown off a map.</for my fav></shameless plug>
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Oh yeah,

"but where can i make changes to reduce the numbr of bugs?"

well cyber, if I understand you correctly, what you can do is offer to help.

If you know code, offer your services. Show somebody what you can do, and then ask to join team.

If you don't, offer to help hunt for bugs, that's what I did, and they were kind enough to let me hunt bugs in ChaosUT. (I don't know nuthin' 'bout coding no mod)

A bit late for Q2? Well, yeah. It's a 'finished' mod. There is nobody working on it.

But then again, Chaos lives on. Many of us still love to play The Original. If somebody were to take up the project, I'd certainly be more than willing to lend my time to help play test.
CybeR

oks

Post by CybeR »

yep i will search and think on how to fix some bugs.
If you want to see my damn or good skills the best way is to give you my mod i am doing with is 70% done and you will decide.
I love chaos but i dont play it very often becouse here in Mexico the ping sucks thats why i only play it with havoc bots.
I think my mod will be called nerfquake becouse has about 30 weapons to use (some for fags, other for masters, snipers, railers, spammers etc... hehe)

:borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg:

cya
I rule this World!
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

Heh funny I always though of the getting stuck in walls thing as a feature, not a bug..... I just fake death, adn it releases me.... PS Idon't wan't to hear about UT this is the q2 section.... :P j/k
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

UT UT UT UT UT... oh... wait... UT2k3 UT2k3 UT2k3 UT2k3 UT2k3... sorry, couldn't help it :D

I have tried very hard to get a hold of Major and the source code, but to no avail. I have one more contact I am working on, but they havn't responded back in over 2 weeks, so I don't think they found him :cry:

FurrySound{Moo}
Lothar{Moo}
Kamikaze Tester

Post by Lothar{Moo} »

pssst Furry...:)

ChaosDm not Chaos Arena :)
:o
Lothar{Moo} :proxy:
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Yes, I know its ChaosDM and not Arena.. just filling them in on what I haven't been able to get 8O but thanks for straightening me out, my back appreciated it...

FurrySound{Moo}
Lothar{Moo}
Kamikaze Tester

Post by Lothar{Moo} »

I figured you did, but I wanted to sneak in and say something before MrG had the chance. :wink:

Hey MrG !
MooooOOOOoooo! :)
Lothar{Moo} :proxy:
HasBen{Moo}

Post by HasBen{Moo} »

Here's an old list I started....

==============bugs=====================

jetpack: picking up the jetpack kills the respawn point for quad, after which no quad items will appear

Faking dead players can fly with the jetpack while lying down.. 8-)

quad respawn point doesn't respawn correct ratios if an items are removed... like banned jetpack and grapple, gives you too much "invisibility"

fakedeath: run/walk animations don't work after a fakedeath and pop back up..... player slides around, like on skates

FOV: After camera mode the FOV doesn't go back to previous (non-90) value....... A work around: use 2 different (non-90) FOV settings in a single bind, this changes the fov back to the desired value.

The camera shakes after the vortex is gone... unless a player kicks the camera... 8-)

an invulnerable player is killed when using the kamikaze.... no amount of explosives should kill a truly "invulnerable" player

rare health & armor bonus bug

Super rare invisibility bug... player connects and is invisible

====problems or added functions Requests===========

Rapid fire kicking.... kicking needs a fire rate setting

Server error: 'String length exceeded'.... need more memory for the server's info string for useful data added to "server.cfg" file... like a URL for downloading maps, admin email addies, admin name, PC stats like CPU, bandwidth.... stuff like that....

The random map rotation should not repeat the last used map... or more if possible (maybe the last 3-5 maps would be better)

extend the 64 map limit for a maplist... maybe increase it to 128 maps

Change the function name of +attack. (create a NEW +fire function name to replace the +attack) This could be useful to make the auto-aim proxy (cheat) useless.

Add a player movement cap to counter the speed cheat, if possible without too much work

change the "bird's eye view" camera angle (looking straight down is useless/boring) to the player's point-of-view that is being watched... Benefits: no distracting camera model and seeing thru the player's eyes is a very useful/interesting camera angle.
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

"Faking dead players can fly with the jetpack while lying down"

yeah thats an old one I don;t think it exists iin the 1.14 version of the code... though I do still see a few servers running an older version for some reason.

"Server error: 'String length exceeded'.... need more memory for the server's info string for useful data added to "server.cfg" file... like a URL for downloading maps, admin email addies, admin name, PC stats like CPU, bandwidth.... stuff like that.... "

this doesn't directly address that, and I'm not sure if you mean the info that shows up about the server when you scanfor it t, or the length of the motd.

ok the config design for chaos deathmatch blows... its the only mod I know that doesn't by default put all the keyboard binds in the autoexec.cfg
heres how my setup.works

//AUTOEXEC.CFG this contains key bind info
unbind all
bind a +moveleft
blah
blah
exec al.cfg

//AL.CFG this contains any aliases... the binds were setup in the autoexec.cfg
alias +yadayada
blah
blah
exec settings.cfg

//SETTINGS.CFG this contains any system specific settings i.e. persistant video, sound, and connection info also player name & skins
gl_modulate 69
name G_loveNSpecialSauce
skin chicken/barbacue
echo "CONFIGS LOADED! GO BOLDLY FORTH, AND DISPATCH THE VERMIN!"

~8k is the maximum length of a config file, but you can load multiple configs. if you want to see this in action, I can post my actual configs here...mind you I'm sure I wasn't quite so anal about keeping things seperated into their catagories, but you'll get the idea.

want to extend the server.cfg? at the bottom of the server.cfg put the lines

exec server2.cfg

ok, i'll look at this again when I waake up... 4:15 am here :lol:

p.s.

FOV: After camera mode the FOV doesn't go back to previous (non-90) value....... A work around: use 2 different (non-90) FOV settings in a single bind, this changes the fov back to the desired value.

this is an "easy" one... the way the code is setup it asumes 90 will be the clients fov... never even requests that info. so instead of

call camera function
fov-camera
do camerathing
camera off
fov 90
respawn

we need to;

call camera function
get fov
store client for as clfov
fov-camera
do camerathing
camera off
fov = clfov
respawn

yes this isn't real code, but its an effective flowchart of what needs to occur

PPS FURRY you're not the only one still attemting to get ahold of major. Soundman, and Rimshot have been to, unfortunatly without majors permission the code that exists is unusable....
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline: