ChaosDM Continued Development

Discussion for the original Quake 2 Chaos. (DM & CTF)
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

Looking at the airgun code, and thinking about the way it works currently
1 ammo usage, or even a percentage of your breath... (like when you're drowning & start gasping for air) would be a fair addition
2. if you didn't get stuck in a wall/ceiling you'd crater.
3 if you do get stuck in a wall, you can fakedeath, and get out...or kami & take the blowhard with ya.
4 if you get blown off a map, you have grapple, belt, or teleball to save you.
5 there are tools in place to counter act it

any constructive feedback?
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
Lothar{Moo}
Kamikaze Tester

Post by Lothar{Moo} »

1 ammo usage, or even a percentage of your breath... (like when you're drowning & start gasping for air) would be a fair addition
Ammo? it shoots air that it presumably collects from it's surrounding environment -that's why it doesn't work underwater, right? ...and as for the "or even a percentage of your breath" part...<Scottish accent> Aachh! It's a wheapon, Lad, no a bleedin' bagpipe! </Scottish accent> :) :D :wink:
Maybe it using cells isn't a bad idea though, it should, I suppose "logically" need a source of power to stick people into walls :wink: (note: crouch&hook is how I get out of that - and it's never bothered me when it happens, think it's kinda funny really, as though the guy has literally "plastered me" to the wall. :) I usually just laugh, crouch-hook out and set about trying to frag the guy that put me there.
2. if you didn't get stuck in a wall/ceiling you'd crater.
3 if you do get stuck in a wall, you can fakedeath, and get out...or kami & take the blowhard with ya.
4 if you get blown off a map, you have grapple, belt, or teleball to save you.
5 there are tools in place to counter act it
Yup.

I guess having it require cells to run might work. Maybe simply slowing it's rate of fire a little or reducing it's strength or it's radius or distance or whatever might tweak it more to your liking to help appease those who are unhappy with the way it works, but if anyone cares, the airgun has never bothered me much. If anything, maybe it pushes things too far but there are ways around it, it can be used in fun/ funny ways and it team games, it can be used in many beneficial ways.
IMO it ain't really broke and it adds a lot to the lighter comical/whimsical side of Chaos for me. It can be a pain if misused I'll certainly agree, but in the right hands and at the right moments I think it can have the same comedic appeal as a well-aimed seltzer bottle did 50 years ago. :D
Lothar{Moo} :proxy:
HasBen{Moo}

Post by HasBen{Moo} »

Also... if you crouch while being blasted you won't get stuck in the roof.... you just bounce off... that works best of all (most of the time)

Once you use this method, it's no longer a problem....
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

Thanks for the Input :-) pretty much...confirms what made sense to me.
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
MrG{DRGN}

an invulnerable player is killed when using the kamikaze....

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

:!: ok one bug down. If A player trys to Kamikaze with invulnerability in the modified source I'm working with they get the following words of encouragement....
Uhm...Kamikaze in Invulnerable mode.... look up Oxymoron!
and can't do it... the message is obviously open to sugestion and probably sends across too much of my own sarcastic personality.... been working on this here & there when time allows (the mod , not my personality :wink: [/b]
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
HasBen{Moo}

Post by HasBen{Moo} »

I think you've missed the point...

The kami is nothing more than a large explosion (the detonation of a hand held bomb)... when you're invul, no amount of explosives will kill you...

It's a bug, if you look at it logically ... ( not that doing a kami during invul is logical... :lol: ) :wink:

edit: spell check... 8-)
Last edited by HasBen{Moo} on Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

Yeah I thought about it from that perspective as well... just didn't make sense to have something like that available without the negative (self death) cost...so your thought is that the explosion should still occur, just no self damage...... *ponders*....doesn't really qualify as a kamikaze then does it..... let me think on that one..... meanwhile I think that jetpack fakedeath anim problem is licked. and the airgun is back to normal in the moddified chaos source. I'm going to look into extending the available map list length tommorow.... may be engine sided(exe hard coded) , and not dll. thats a can of worms I won;t open if it is.... not yet anyway.
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
Lothar{Moo}
Kamikaze Tester

Post by Lothar{Moo} »

btw....MrG

Did you know that a sufficiently armoured player can survive a Kami?

It takes a fair bit of running around and foraging but if you have 200+ health, 250+ armour, shield Tech, powershield and plenty of cells, you can survive your own Kami :)
... also helps if you're standing on a 100 health or red armour when you do it :)
....so it's not really something you see too often :wink:
hehe MoooooOOOOooo!
Lothar{Moo} :proxy:
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

yeah actually I did know that Lothar... but hey... it is chaotic like that i guess lol. I discovered a big problem now though since I started looking into extending the map list, and I'm not sure how to fix it! I checked even with the non modified chaos source. start map rotation and ...boom down she goes.... never checked it before now just been using chaosdm1. This may be a side effect of the source coming from linux/and or gcc & me compiling on a win2k box with msvc++, and being somewhat of a newb lol! In any event I'm documenting any changes i made so ... someone who works with C on linux (or knows what they're doing) may be able to get this functional..... heheh like I said this may never see the light of day on a public server
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

OK started clean on this, as HasBen knows..... some things i fixed need to be redone as my codebase was lost in a hd crash. More as time allows
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

OK, no problems with map rotation crashes now, and the available maplist size has been increase from 64 ->256 if you need more than that I'd sugest a new hobby. :P :P
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

Heres a few more little things, though not a complete list of updates I've done.

* Fixed a bug created in 1.14 release where if you picked up a jetpack it would kill the further respawn of the items
in rotation...
- Fixed Mon Dec 15, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player disconnects with a teleport ball active, the ball was left behind.
- Fixed Tue Dec 16, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player disconnects, or goes to camera mode with a grappling hook active, the hook could be left behind.
- Fixed Tue Dec 16, 2003

* Fixed a bug where explosive arrow MODs where not implimented, and grenade MODs were being used, and added them to gslogs
- Fixed Wed Dec 17, 2003

* Fixed a bug where only male/female deaths were recorded, (if you weren't a female model you were male) .
- Fixed Wed Dec 17, 2003

* Performed some small code optimization of the scanner pic selection code,
- Fixed Thu Dec 18, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player's grapple would not unhook when using the teleport ball.
- Fixed Thu Dec 18, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player's fov was set to 90 upon return from chasecam
- Fixed Fri Dec 19, 2003

stay tuned,

Not sure if the Chaos Dev team wants some input on this so give a shout to my ICQ if so
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

HasBen wrote
Server error: 'String length exceeded'.... need more memory for the server's info string for useful data added to "server.cfg" file... like a URL for downloading maps, admin email addies, admin name, PC stats like CPU, bandwidth.... stuff like that....
I looked into this, unfortunately while this is a simple thing to fix, it is held up on the engine side, so unless I make a custom q2 engine version for Chaos which possibly all players would have to use (not going to happen anytime soon, maybe eventually ) this one is stuck. I'd post such details in the MOTD, or on the server website for now.
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

heres the latest sumation of whats been done so far.

* Fixed some uninitialized variables, undeclared function prototypes, reworking
of some formulas/equations id did some odd things and this is built off an old code release)
- Fixed Sat Dec 13, 2003

* Added simple z-bot/frkq2bot detection/player removal
- Fixed Sat Dec 13, 2003

* Extended the MAX_MAPS for map rotation to 256 from 64....
- Fixed Sat Dec 13, 2003

* Performed some code optimization of the weapon code, particularly the Vortex.
- Fixed Sat Dec 13, 2003

* Added new cvars for kickable weapons, base item respawn time, random item respawn time,
enable/disable,zbot logging only, or kicking as well.
- Fixed Sat Dec 13, 2003

* Added it_ names for the techs. Also added and the TE_ effects from the 3.20 source to
temp_event_t in q_shared.h in case we want to add some other effects.
- Fixed Sun Dec 14, 2003

* Fixed SECURITY ISSUE NOT PUBLIC INFO
- Fixed Sun Dec 14, 2003

* Fixed SECURITY ISSUE NOT PUBLIC INFO
- Fixed Sun Dec 14, 2003

* Fixed a bug created in 1.14 release where if you picked up a jetpack it would kill the further respawn of the items in rotation was handled.
- Fixed Mon Dec 15, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player disconnects with a teleport ball active, the ball was left behind.
- Fixed Tue Dec 16, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player disconnects, or goes to camera mode with a grappling hook active, the hook could be left behind.
- Fixed Tue Dec 16, 2003

* Added more options for the havoc bot skins/models. the moobul/moobull, cow/cow, moobull/warbull, pknight/dragon, pknight/pledge,
and pknight/evil as choices in the random selection for them
- Fixed Tue Dec 16, 2003

* Fixed a bug where explosive arrow MODs where not implimented, and grenade MODs were being used, and added them to gslogs
- Fixed Wed Dec 17, 2003

* Fixed a bug where only male/female deaths were recorded, (if you weren't a female model you were male) .
- Fixed Wed Dec 17, 2003

* Performed some small code optimization of the scanner pic selection code,
- Fixed Thu Dec 18, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player's grapple would not unhook when using the teleport ball.
- Fixed Thu Dec 18, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player's fov was set to 90 upon return from chasecam
- Fixed Fri Dec 19, 2003

* Fixed two bugs with the kamikaze
1. the ammo required (rockets, homers, grenades) was not used up in the explosion,
Since the explosion damage, and radius is determined by the amount of these in inventory ammo amounts are set to 0.
2. An invulnerable player would die from the kamikaze.
- Fixed Fri Dec 19, 2003

* Fixed some of the issues with the frkq2bot detection/kicking are hopefully resolved... still problems with erlier versions I suspect more testing needed.
- Fixed Sun Dec 21, 2003

* Fixed bug where players could turn the jetpack on or off in camera mode... Inventory was not being cleared when switching to camera mode.
- Fixed Mon Dec 22, 2003

* Updated q_shared.h, and q_shared.c to 3.21 release versions Note that there is a sound called by the ak42 firing MZ_BOOMERGUN, which was later replaced by MZ_IONRIPPER from
the xatrix mission packin the quake2 engine . The sound is"sound/weapons/rippfire.wav". This is an Engine side function .
For full effect we should add this , or an appropriate wav with the same name to the chaos pak0.pak.
- Fixed Wed Dec 24, 2003

* Updated CTFSay_Team so Chaos specific weapons, and items are now included in the locational macro (%L)
- Fixed Fri Dec 26, 2003

* Added glow & trail effect to proxies,and turrets when the owner has quad damage, and or invunlerability active, IF they are invisible the proxies are translucent.
- Fixed Sat Dec 27, 2003

* Fixed a bug in void SV_CalcBlend where one of the coders tried to force the client gl_polyblend cvar to 1 by doing gi.cvar_set("gl_polyblend", "1");
, but this was not correct.
- Fixed Sat Dec 27, 2003

* Found a possible cause of an invisible player bug, and inplimented a precautionary, though possibly ineffective fix. This is a
rarebug so hard to say.
- Fixed Sat Dec 27, 2003

* Fixed a bug where quite a few pics/wavs/sp2s/md2s were not precached, by reorganizing void PreCacheAll,checking for missing items, and
actually uncommenting this function call!
- Fixed Sun Dec 28, 2003

* Fixed a bug where a player could kamikaze, select a camera mode before dying , and be stuck with a flashing kami screen
- Fixed Mon Dec 29, 2003

* Added a time based seed for the random function in chaos, rather than starting the random function from the same place every server start.
- Fixed Thu Jan 01, 2003

* Optimized the proxie sound selection code,
- Fixed Thu Jan 01, 2003

* Added the posibility of "telekinetic" proxies, and The ability for certain non player/bot
entities to travel thru teleporters.These, and the turret/proxy glow effects are now set byt he chaos_plus cvar for testing
- Fixed Thu Jan 01, 2003

* Added a new cammode closer to player view for testing, as with all camera modes there are some tracking issues,
- Fixed Fri Jan 02, 2003

I'll need some testers soon.

Peace
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hello again MrG!

I realize you're posting here asking for testers in general.., but I wanted to reply and say, please do not take the lack of responses from the Chaos team as disinterest. Most us have pretty much taken the last few weeks "off".

I very much want to see you get all the help and support you need. Because I realize how nice some tweaks would be to my Q2Chaos-luvin' friends. So I will do whatever I can to help you get it done.

I've been mulling over what to do about the whole Q2 portion of the program. I have yet to fulfill my word to fellow Moo's about starting again to update the Q2Chaos web site with some news, and CUT2 is just getting cranked up again...

Not sure yet Sir how I'm going to handle stuff, but I very much want to do some play-testing of this myself (with help from my friends of course) I just gotta figure out when I'm gonna do all I wanna do.

But now I'm rambling. Guess all I meant to say is thank you very much for working on it, and we're not gonna ignore you.