New Server?

Discussion for the original Quake 2 Chaos. (DM & CTF)
Psycho{JACK}

New Server?

Post by Psycho{JACK} »

Let me start out by saying a good ol' Howdy to all the regulars, I'm back to run a server again!!

And a hello and how do you do to any newcomers since my leave.

Been trying to get a server up for a few days now CHAOSDM, and can get the port to route through my router, which ports do I need to open, because if I open 27910 - 27911 for Quake2, people (namely JumPin{JACK}) can't see the server unless I use DMZ it's a speedstream router, well anyways if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

-Matt
HasBen{Moo}

Post by HasBen{Moo} »

I'm not sure what you are doing when you say "opened a port"...

All the routers I've used have a redirect function.... where you setup the requests for 27910 to be sent to an IP# on your LAN (the q2 server's IP).

Then make sure if the server has a software firewall, that the quake2.exe file has permission to use the internet.

BTW: Good luck with the server.... and what's the model number for your router?
Psycho{JACK}

Post by Psycho{JACK} »

2624 Speed Stream, when I said 'open the port' this is what I've got 'Special Applications'

Special Applications can only be used by 1 user at any time.

Incoming Ports Outgoing Ports
On Name Type Start Finish Type Start Finish
1. quake2 udp or tcp 29710 udp or tcp 27910
2. warecraft udp or tcp udp or tcp
3. aol IM udp or tcp udp or tcp
4. IcrChat udp or tcp tcp or udp
5. xdcc udp or tcp tcp or udp
6. Icq udp or tcp udp or tcp

Then you select Tcp or udp from a drop down menu, you can specify the starting and end port for each application, but it doesn't let you 'select a particular' machine. However...

if you click on 'enable DMZ' and select a machine it works, maybe I should try 'DMZ' with quake2 in the 'Special Applications' list and see if it still works, because now I'm afraid every icomming 'unknown' is going to be sent to my server machine.

-Matt
moonshad

Post by moonshad »

goto the unreal admin page they have a tutorial on what ports to open through tthe router firewall
HasBen{Moo}

Post by HasBen{Moo} »

I just downloaded the user manual for the 2624 Speed Stream... according to what I've read... you'll need to try the "virtual server" function... it looks like it may do what I was talking about, redirect port 27910 to your q2 server LAN IP#. 8)
Psycho{JACK}

Post by Psycho{JACK} »

Sweet that fixes it, you know I thought about that but couldn't figure out how to add 'custom' servers, low a behold it was right under my nose, thanks!

-Matt