Public ChaosDM Server Behind LAN Gateway

Discussion for the original Quake 2 Chaos. (DM & CTF)
shuftie

Public ChaosDM Server Behind LAN Gateway

Post by shuftie »

Ive just setup a Q2 Chaos dedicated server on a LAN, and im having trouble making it available to public server browsers (gamespy, eye etc.)

The server runs fine and people can connect to it via IP or Dynamic hostname, so thats not a problem.

The cfgs are all setup fine too afaik (set public 1, setmaster q2master.planetquake.com ...).

If i send a heartbeat from the console, the server says its done that, and i can see the traffic on my gateway host (a wingate machine with NAT enabled, and a UDP portmapping service from the gateway to my Q2 server on 27910). I have a fiewall running on the gateway, but this is setup to trust and allow all traffic comming from my Q2 master server IP addresses, so i figure its not that which is getting in the way.

So, to sum up: my NATing gateway works fine for all types of traffic, my lan machines can see my Q2 server and get at internet addresses, my Q2 server can see the LAN machines and other internet machines, but it still cant seem to get itself registered on the public server lists. Anyone have any ideas why this isnt working? Its driving me absolutely mental here!! :)

Cheers,
Shuftie
[Insert witty statement of your choosing here]
Wicad{MoO}

Post by Wicad{MoO} »

I have a fiewall running on the gateway, but this is setup to trust and allow all traffic comming from my Q2 master server IP addresses
I know in order for me to serv to the public I had to set up port forwarding, which allows requests to the main server to be routed to the appropriate lan box. Maybe you need to look at your gateway again. You say above that everything lan looks happy, but your trust is apparently only lan. You need to somehow allow outsiders to be routed to your served game.

Not sure, but it sounds good....:)
shuftie

Post by shuftie »

yer - port forwarding / port mapping is setup on the gateway box already. i have incomming requests on port 27910 on the gateway machine routed off to the Q2 server on 27910 too. this allows outside clients to connect and play fine, (try supernova.servequake.com) but just doesnt seem to get the server on the public list.

must be an issue pinging the masters or the masters have an issue pinging the Q2 server behind the gateway. (do the masters ping on another port, or is it an ICMP ping?) its got me totally baffled! ;)
[Insert witty statement of your choosing here]
30-40 Psyco

Public Server Visibility

Post by 30-40 Psyco »

If memory serves, a server won't appear public (i.e. in Gspy, TASEye, etc.)
immediately. Past experience has shown up to a week can ellapse before
the server shows up on public lists. Maybe giving it a bit of time might be the cure.

30-40 Psyco ;)