Q2 demo + ChaosDM + EGL ?

Discussion for the original Quake 2 Chaos. (DM & CTF)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Q2 demo + ChaosDM + EGL ?

Post by R.Flagg »

I couldn't find my Quake2 disc, so I got the Q2 demo ('cause jb said we could play Chaos mod with just the demo). Then I installed the Chaos, than I had video weirdness when I tried to start Chaos.

Then I saw an old post by Epoch{Moo} which mentioned something called EGL. Read a bit about it online, and supposedly it'll help me play Q2 on my 8800GT without jumping through hoops of fire. So I got that, and well, confusion still reins ...

Can I do this? How do I do this?

(basically got bored waiting for a good new game to come out .. so played some CUT2 with Dorian yesterday, and now wanted to fire up Q2Chaos as well... )

Anyone? How do I start Chaos mod with EGL?
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Made some progress. But I think maybe the part about being able to use the Q2demo maybe was wrong?

ChaosDM1 is missing textures galore, and the messages say stuff like

couldn't load textures/e1u3/ceil1_7.wal

and tons more.

Which is a problem, 'cause lord knows how many years it's been since I actually laid eyes on my Q2 cd. Might be here somewhere, might not....

drama.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I seem to have it working.

And I've got several hundred maps in my Chaos folder now, thanks to a CD I found sent to me a long time ago... I think by my old friend HasBeen{MoO}.

Also, remember Club Bovine? http://games.velocity.net/~briareos/games.htm (a bit crampy and campy, but hey.. it was a club for Moos)
MrG{DRGN}

Post by MrG{DRGN} »

Sorry I didn't see this sooner... yeah, most of the q2 chaos files have disappeared from fileplanet, or are difficult to find there. At one point I did make an archive of all the files on the Q2 Chaos page, but I'll have to did around to find tit then find a place to host it. I think I know someone who may have a copy if I no longer do.
MrG{DRGN}

CNY CHAOS
offline:
MrG's AGGRAVATION
BETA MOD SERVER
offline:
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

Hey guys! Remember me..?

It's been waaaay too long. Sorry about that (seriously, I really am sorry and I regret leaving such an awesome community!)

Anyways, I can mirror all the CUT files if someone points me to their location!

EDIT: I've put (or rather: am uploading right now) the files I could find (from the stickied topic) here:
http://files.stdrand.com/Chaos/ChaosDM
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hi Tim. Thanks a bunch. What about that purdy soulkeepers site? How's that treating you?
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

R.Flagg wrote:Hi Tim. Thanks a bunch. What about that purdy soulkeepers site? How's that treating you?
You mean soulbreakers.com?

ChaosUT downloads were up until a few days ago -- I've moved them to http://files.stdrand.com/Chaos

stdrand.com is a the domain of mine, meant for random stuff.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Again I thank you... added your link to the sticky.
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

R.Flagg wrote:Again I thank you... added your link to the sticky.
No, thank you :D

I'll also be uploading the source code, now that I know about it!

EDIT: Oh oops, I've already uploaded it before; I forgot xD
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Random update;

Gamespy stopped working for me, and I've been pretty infatuated with Arma2:CO anyway, but when I was looking for old Q2 maps for Chaos on MooTown, I googled up these pages;

http://www.deaconstomb.org/

http://maps.clanwos.org/maponserver/q2m ... ic%27s.htm

Just FYI for anyone who finds themselves looking for maps.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

R.Flagg wrote:Made some progress. But I think maybe the part about being able to use the Q2demo maybe was wrong?

ChaosDM1 is missing textures galore, and the messages say stuff like

couldn't load textures/e1u3/ceil1_7.wal

and tons more.

Which is a problem, 'cause lord knows how many years it's been since I actually laid eyes on my Q2 cd. Might be here somewhere, might not....

drama.
A year later, and I'm back to trying this again. But on a different computer than last time, so it's all fresh start all over again.

And just for the record, I'm still trying to figure out if it's true about being able to play Q2Chaos w/o buying the game. If you can just run the demo, and play MP Chaos.

I was able to fire up the game, and even fire the Flummy in version .3, but in ChaosDM1 I'm missing all the e1u3 textures. Where do those come from? I'm confused about pak10.pak thru pak19? Were those extras on the CD? Is it not true after all about playing with just the demo?

I mean, that's fine if it is, I just wanted to find out once and for all.
Hermskii
Hermskii.com

Re-invent?

Post by Hermskii »

Do we have a place around here where we have a bunch of maps that are preferred for Chaos. I'm speaking of UT, UT2004 and Quake versions. Is this the same Tim that has rejoined and is managing the ChaoticDreams new site too?

I am well over-due to make a Quake Chaos server. I still plan on it but man life stays pretty busy all of the time when you're married and have kids and dogs and bills and stuff. LOL.
~Peace~

Hermskii
www.hermskii.com/forum
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

The links on the Q2Chaos download page have been fixed (which includes a link to Chaos maps).

Sorry, I was not aware that they weren't working, until it was pointed out to me in Steam Chat yesterday.

I think you can also find more non-Chaos map links in the Q2Chaos facebook group.
Hermskii
Hermskii.com

Thanks.

Post by Hermskii »

Thank you kindly! Who can we get to fix the links on this forum's home page? You know, the ChaosUT link and the ChaosDM link.
~Peace~

Hermskii
www.hermskii.com/forum
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

That would be Tim.