Amiga Version ?

Discussion for the original Quake 2 Chaos. (DM & CTF)
MagicSN

Amiga Version ?

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

I want to ask again concerning
the Amiga version. Last time it seemed
you'd be principially okay with me porting
ChaosDM to Amiga (I am the author of
the Amiga version of Quake 2), but
nothing happened anymore since then :(

BTW: If you absolutely don't want to
give out the source, I could provide
you with a Cross-Compiler which runs
on Linux (I recently created such a
cross-compiler which I needed myselves).
If you tell me the names of the source-files
and what #define's are needed I could
even prepare the makefile for you so
all you'd need to do is press "make"
and then send me the resulting Amiga Binary :)

(There are some few changes needed, but
most likely you'd just have to compile
amidll.c which I'd email to you and link
with it, and that's it - ah, if PC-style
filename-accesses - Path\Filename - are
used anywhere in the source this of course
needs to be changed to Path/Filename... and
if "a+t" for fopen is used anywhere, this
needs to be changed to "a"... and include
and source file names have to be renamed
to all lowercase, both on the harddrive and in
the sources... but that should
be all of it to be able to compile the
Amiga version :)).

Anyways, if you'd send me the source-code, I'd
do the compile.

Steffen
SteffenH@hyperion-software.de
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

We will be going open source. I don't know when.
MagicSN

Re: Amiga version

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

Okay, thanks for the note.

Maybe you can pass me a message when
it's released, even if it is quite
some time from now ? Thanks :)

MagicSN
SteffenH@hyperion-software.de
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

i havent known anyone with an Amiga machine since like 1990.... there are actually still people using those things?
I slay thee in the name of Khaz Modan!
MagicSN

Amiga

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

Yes, the Amiga Community still exists, though it is much smaller than once it was.
Amiga's look much different than they looked back in 1990 though. In 1990 most Amiga's were these "keyboard-computers" which looked nearly like a keyboard without a computer (like A500). These days most Amigas are using normal tower-cases and could easily be confused with PCs from the "look" of the case (often there's a big Amiga Logo somewhere, though, once saw a tower where the guy had a big mechanic rotating BOINGBALL on his machine :) ).

But not only the "external" stuff changed. Instead of the old slow 68k CPU the Amiga
used in 1990, current-day Amigas are using the PowerPC CPU (the same which the Apple Macintosh uses). Current state-of-the-art Amigas use a Expansion Board with a PowerPC (available for A1200 and A4000). Clockrates are up to 240 MHz (but remember, a PowerPC 240 MHz is comparable to an Intel with twice that clock frequency!). Also Amiga users don't use those outdated Custom Chipsets anymore. Instead they use normal PCI Graphics Cards (there's expansion cards for A1200 and A4000 to plug in a PCI Graphics Card).

The rights to AmigaOS are owned by a company called "Amiga, Inc." (Commodore who originally owned it went bust ages ago). In cooperation with EyeTech and Hyperion Entertainment Amiga, Inc. is now short before releasing the new Amiga model called the "AmigaOne". This is basically a
PowerPC based computer equipped with a (minimum, people can of course use higher clocked CPUs) 600 MHz PowerPC G3, with PCI and AGP Slots (Graphics Boards supported include Radeon and various Matrox Cards and Permedia 3 and Voodoo 3), USB and other "usual stuff". AmigaOne is a complete new computer, no expansion Board anymore. AmigaOne comes together with a new version of AmigaOS, OS 4.0, which will be fully PPC-Native (up to now all OS-stuff worked in 68k-Emulation, only applications were PPC-Native). Amiga-users are of course very excited about now getting a complete PPC-Native OS, to be able to use the full speed of the new system.

Sorry for the long post :)

MagicSN
rafaMEX

Post by rafaMEX »

oh... those Commodore stuff, yeah that remmembered when I bought my first Stratocaster ten years ago... yeah they used to sell that stuff here in Mexico :) ... totaly unpopular since everyone wanted a real "compatible" Computer. (or a real Mac) :lol:
so... they are popular in Europe?
I bet the only place in America where u can find one nowadays is in a flea market :D
MagicSN

Amiga

Post by MagicSN »

Hi!

They were very popular in Europe. In the 90th who would have bought a Mac in the US bought a Amiga if living in Europe, especially Germany and UK. Actually in eastern Europe the Amiga is still "strong" today (Most Amiga-users in Eastern Europe have quite low-powered Amiga's though, which have difficulties running recent software).

These days only a niche market is left of the Amiga, though. But it seems that with
the imminent release of the new machine things will go a *lot* better. Many people actually want to buy an Amiga again, but not at the prices such a DCE PowerPC Board costs (this expansion Board for existing Amigas is around 2x the price of what the new - ways faster - Amiga will cost...).

Steffen