Uninstalling Chaos

Feel free to chat about non-Chaos stuff in here.
mr_metal_hed

Uninstalling Chaos

Post by mr_metal_hed »

Well, I have been considering Chaos for months and months now. Finally, two days ago, I downloaded the umod. Since then I have been playing and checking out the new stuff. Personally, I don't care for it. I can, however, appreciate the work that went in to it.

Anyway, the reason I am here is to ask about what the best way to uninstall. Please reply if you can help. Thanks.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

The same way you uninstall all umods.

Go to control panel, Add/Remove Programs, and then click to remove UT. This will then bring up options of what to uninstall.

Months and months huh? Hehe, next time, don't wait so long. It didn't hurt did it? It was free. :wink: Just giving you hard time. Lot's of mods and muts out there. Have fun, don't be afraid to try 'em out.
mr_metal_hed

Post by mr_metal_hed »

Thanks, R

I've had UT a long time and I was unaware that I could uninstall that way! I did it with no problems, but I haven't tried UT since. I hope everything went cleanly and it runs next time.

The reason I waited so long to try Chaos was simply because I wasn't sure I would like it after reading about it. I'm not a huge fan of mods & mutators, but all of the weapons kept me curious. It was time to try it.

I rarely play anything other than deathmatch. I use 'volatile ammo' because I feel it's more realistic, but that's it. Well, I also use XMaps. Chaos was just so much at once. I tried to enjoy it, but I either didn't like the new "thing" or I felt like it didn't work the way it should. Also, the installation also made UT take longer on startup and map loads. It just wasn't worth it. I can't think of even one part that I would have kept if given the option. Chaos just isn't for me.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

To each his own.

Frag on.
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Well, Im sorry to hear that. If you could think of anything that we could do better please let Us know. I think every one on our team is interested in making the Best mod that we can. I undrestand that it can be a little overwhelming when ya first look at Chaos. It is a totaly diffrent style of play. Maybe give it a try onlign with some people who know it really well? I would be happy to show ya the ropes, but if you feel that its just not for you then im sorry that you wernt impressed by our product. If ya have any sugjestions we would be verry happy to hear them.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by neolith »

Taken from PA:

Sorry to hear you didn't like Chaos.
–The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.–
mr_metal_hed

Post by mr_metal_hed »

neolith, very funny!

LoQtUS, I'll be happy to give you my input on Chaos. My connection is just good enough to get in a game, but I can't actually frag anyone. I shoot where they appear to be, but they never suffer any damage. What a drag! Needless to say, bot support is a must for us offline players.

Overall performance of UT was slowed with the addtion of Chaos. It took longer to start UT, and longer loading between maps. This could be system related. (433MHz, 96Mb)

The grapple is a decent addition, but I don't like having to set extra keys to use it. There just isn't much way around this though. I could learn to use more keys, but I just don't want to. All of the close ones are already taken. Grappling really eliminates the need for jump boots. I personally would rather have the grapple as a pickup like the boots.

The gravity belt seemed great at first. But then when jumping in slow motion while getting shot full of holes, I changed my mind. By the way, if you want extra height, combine the gravity belt with the jump boots! Wow!

Several of the weapons use multiple ammo. I found it difficult to keep up with what ammo I was using at any given time. Since the weapon is added once per ammo type, I felt like scrolling through all of them just took too long. Especially when cycling the old weapons.

The sword is like the chainsaw. On first thought, it's a cool idea. Using it just doesn't bring me any enjoyment. It's difficult and unsuitable for a fight against opponents with projectile weapons. Blocking bullets was cool though.

Proxy Mines were what really drew me to downloading this. I didn't expect them to talk. It's fun for about five minutes, but then gets old. And they seem to move around but never really attacked anyone. I don't see the point. I'd prefer stationary, discreet mines that you have to really pay attention to avoid. My ideas before the download were to use them on weapons, health, elevators, doors, and stairs to booby trap certain areas.

One of my favorite add-ons for UT is volatile ammo. I was hoping that Chaos ammo would react similarly to that of standard ammo. I got some weird results! Some Chaos ammo doesn't even respond to being shot. Some exploded with the old ammo instead of the Chaos ammo.

I love spawn protection! This is a great addition to the game.

Slo-mo was a cool feature, but to me starts late. I realize it's probably triggered after the last frag, so that actual shot and subsequent kill isn't seen in slow motion. I'd rather see the last 2 or 3 seconds of pre-kill action.

COTH is potentially a great idea. When I played it, the bots didn't seem to respond to me all the time. Sometimes they shot me, and sometimes they just stood there with me. The HUD worked well though and I had no problems otherwise. I can't recall if COTH is available in "old" maps or not. It should be, but I realize that is likely map dependent. **Just an idea here, but changing "hills" mid-game might spice it up some. I got tired of running to the same place time after time. This would cutdown on one player dominating, but I guess that is the point. :wink:

All right, all right. Enough complaining. I haven't played the Chaos mod nearly enough to know anything. This is all just my opinion. I want to say that I can appreciate all the work that went into making Chaos. It worked really well with UT and the only problems that I have are functional. Of course everyone would have a "better" idea about something. It doesn't make them right! :lol: If, for some reason, you should further want my opinion just let me know.

Thanks to all of you for being so friendly!
DJPaul

Post by DJPaul »

I think we've addressed most of those issues you've bought up in ChaosUT2, for UT2003 - so upgrade your PC a tad, and we'll see you in a server somewhere!
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Thank you for your input. You have provided something that I (personaly) think is invaluable to us. Feed back. I wont attempt to change you mind on Chaos. Ofcourse, most of the people here would dissagree with you on alot of points. It does look like most of your issues are with performance. It really sounds like your Computer could use an overhaul.

Well, the offer still stands to show ya the ropes, and Hop on a server.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Nice short answers from the guys. Now allow me to introduce myself! :lol:
mr_metal_hed wrote:neolith, very funny!

LoQtUS, I'll be happy to give you my input on Chaos.
Well, that's cool. Beats the heck out of ...
It just wasn't worth it. I can't think of even one part that I would have kept if given the option. Chaos just isn't for me.
So, let's gab.
My connection is just good enough to get in a game, but I can't actually frag anyone. I shoot where they appear to be, but they never suffer any damage. What a drag! Needless to say, bot support is a must for us offline players.
What is your connection exactly? I mean, sure..... bot support is always nice. But I'm on 56k, and it's far from unplayable, it just takes practice. So while I sympathize with my fellow HPB's, (High Ping Bastards) don't think for a minute only LPB's are enjoying these games. It's simply not true. There are in fact still 56k players out there holding their own. Not playing with a higher ping is a choice some folks make.
Overall performance......
I'm sorry, but with 433MHz, 96Mb, you cannot comment on performance. Again, I'm sorry, but that's just the facts. Your lucky to have seen the game fire up IMO.
The grapple is a decent addition, but I don't like having to set extra keys to use it. There just isn't much way around this though. I could learn to use more keys, but I just don't want to. All of the close ones are already taken. Grappling really eliminates the need for jump boots. I personally would rather have the grapple as a pickup like the boots.
More tough choices here. You don't want to bind additional keys, yet you were interested in trying a mod. Well, most mods, and even many utilities and so forth, are going to need more keys. There is nothing we can do to "improve" this, that's just the way it is. (you only need 1 for the grapple BTW, the 'hookup' key you can do w/o if you wish)
The gravity belt seemed great at first. But then when jumping in slow motion while getting shot full of holes, I changed my mind. By the way, if you want extra height, combine the gravity belt with the jump boots! Wow!
This is what is referred to as 'balance'. The GravBelt is a very powerful item to have available, and so it's quite OK the way your jumps feel as if in 'slow-motion'. For every thing we give you with an advantage, there will (hopefully :wink: ) be something about it which makes it fair. Sometimes these things are by design, and sometimes they just work out that way. But if it works, it works.

No matter which version of Chaos I'm playing, I have always enjoyed busting out a sniping weapon of some sort and picking off those folks floating about. And it's going to be great fun using the new rail gun (the ERDW ) in ChaosUT2 to do the same thing.

Also, you might be surprised how often some of the better palyers turn this on and off. You do not always have to wait to float back down to the ground, once you are where you need to be. Turn it on, get your heigth, turn it off to drop faster. There is much more to using the belt effectively than turning it on and floating.
Several of the weapons use multiple ammo. I found it difficult to keep up with what ammo I was using at any given time. Since the weapon is added once per ammo type, I felt like scrolling through all of them just took too long. Especially when cycling the old weapons.
Ok, now here's one I can actually give ya. This part was in fact less than ideal in CUT. It is a bit different in UT2, if you give it a shot, you will get a chance to find out.

Now, in the meantime, you can bind specific weapons to specific keys. You do not need to scroll to the explosive crossbow, you can bind it.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~maddisce ... elp.htm#DD

Ah, but that's more keys!! :wink: (again, just having fun with you)
The sword is like the chainsaw. On first thought, it's a cool idea. Using it just doesn't bring me any enjoyment. It's difficult and unsuitable for a fight against opponents with projectile weapons. Blocking bullets was cool though.
Well, no offence, but I didn't have much fun on a bike until I learned how to use it either. Using the sword against opponents carrying projectile weapons is not recommended for new users. I cannot stress that enough. :P Although yes, it can be done. And when done correctly, there is not much out there in the world of gaming that is more satisfying. Not IMO anyway.

In the meantime, use it on a sniper you just snuck up on, or use it in Sword Arena. Don't try and take down the lion when you've just entered the forest. Warm up a bit first on some smaller critters. :wink:
Proxy Mines were what really drew me to downloading this. I didn't expect them to talk. It's fun for about five minutes, but then gets old. And they seem to move around but never really attacked anyone. I don't see the point. I'd prefer stationary, discreet mines that you have to really pay attention to avoid. My ideas before the download were to use them on weapons, health, elevators, doors, and stairs to booby trap certain areas.
Well, our beloved Proxies do in fact talk, and they will continue to do so. But as far as how dangerous they are, well, it's a bit too late for CUT. But if you would like to try Beta1 of CUT2, then we would be more than happy to hear your thoughts on those cute little killers.

The rest of what you describe, sounds more like our laser mines. There were no lasers in CUT, but they are returning in CUT2.
One of my favorite add-ons for UT is volatile ammo. I was hoping that Chaos ammo would react similarly to that of standard ammo. I got some weird results! Some Chaos ammo doesn't even respond to being shot. Some exploded with the old ammo instead of the Chaos ammo.

Nothing we could do about that. That's just because of the way things worked. That mut never worked with our mod.
I love spawn protection! This is a great addition to the game.

Ah-Ha! I knew it! I knew that there had to be something. Remember "not one thing I would have kept" ?? :wink: It's Ok, just teasing you. But I knew it. There's just too much swag in the Chaos bag for you to not have found one gem to your liking. :P

But anyway, about respawn protection. It seems odd that any game would ever be released w/o this doesn't it? Very odd. You'd have to have never, ever played online to think this is not required before your game hit's the store shelves. Ah well.
Slo-mo was a cool feature, but to me starts late. I realize it's probably triggered after the last frag, so that actual shot and subsequent kill isn't seen in slow motion. I'd rather see the last 2 or 3 seconds of pre-kill action.
Yup. Agreed. This slo-mo thing might have been ahead of it's time in CUT. Very cool feature. Look for better versions of this from us in the future.
COTH is potentially a great idea. When I played it, the bots didn't seem to respond to me all the time. Sometimes they shot me, and sometimes they just stood there with me. The HUD worked well though and I had no problems otherwise. I can't recall if COTH is available in "old" maps or not. It should be, but I realize that is likely map dependent. **Just an idea here, but changing "hills" mid-game might spice it up some. I got tired of running to the same place time after time. This would cutdown on one player dominating, but I guess that is the point. :wink:
Not much of a KOTH player myself, so I've nothing to add here.
All right, all right. Enough complaining. I haven't played the Chaos mod nearly enough to know anything. This is all just my opinion. I want to say that I can appreciate all the work that went into making Chaos. It worked really well with UT and the only problems that I have are functional. Of course everyone would have a "better" idea about something. It doesn't make them right! :lol: If, for some reason, you should further want my opinion just let me know.

Thanks to all of you for being so friendly!
You are welcome, and thank you.

We will always welcome your feedback. However, CUT may not get any more work done on it. So, if you ever upgrade your computer, please do come back and talk our ears off about ChaosUT2: Evolution.

( :P longest post ever :?: Hehe! Just try and top this one :!: :P )

MOO, Baby! MOO!!
mr_metal_hed

Post by mr_metal_hed »

R-

I'll have to try online fragging again soon. I'm a decent player and I could offer a good challenge to someone. It very frustrating to know you can take someone out and fail to do so because of lag. We all know the lag equation...

About binding those keys, I agree with you. It's necessary to really gain any function. I'm just lazy and don't want to learn where a new "thing" is. I have my preferred setup and like to stick with that.

I realized that I left out some things in my previous post. I forgot to mention that I like new flak cannon weapon. I always felt like the original cannon's range was wimpy. Firing a long distance speed round is a nice change. What a fun way to frag!

I never got to use the turret, vortex, or kamikaze. I just never found them for some reason. Maybe I had them and was unaware. I just wanted to make it clear that because I didn't mention them that I didn't like them. I just had no experience with them. Obviously anything else I haven't mentioned, I either liked or never found.

I'm curious about making a modification for UT. I have always wanted the end-game screen in deathmatch to display a column holding the number of times I fragged each person. Beside my name would be the number of times I was dumb enough to kill myself. Would this be a difficult undertaking? To me it seems like a minor change but I haven't the first clue about altering the game. A brief answer will do, or even a link to a learning resource.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

A brief answer will do...
Haha! Yeah, I know man. Sorry. :lol:

The Kami, you have to bind a key for. But if you decide to try it, all you've gotta do is get enough rockets, and hit the button. Go boom.

In order to use the turret, you have to first pick up the turret launcher, which rotates with the redeemer. Then select it, (bind a key, or scroll) and fire. The turret wil 'beam in' to that location, provided there is enough space, and you don't die before it comes.

The vortex also rotates with the redeemer, and you have to select it, and throw. It will then do it's thing. (get some distance, try alt fire and run)

On Chaos maps, these items may or may not rotate with the redeemer. Chaos mappers put them where they wanted.

Ok, I'll stop there. At least wanted you to know how to see those things, if you should still want to try. And sorry, no idea about writing that mut, but my guess is that something like it already exists.