I think I'm going to convert to ATI 8O

Feel free to chat about non-Chaos stuff in here.
Kirin
Chaotic Wild Child

I think I'm going to convert to ATI 8O

Post by Kirin »

8O

I've always been an NVIDIA guy since Voodoo died and played around with their cards since ... but now ... I'm considering in getting an ATI Radeon 9700.

I can't wait! 8)
Rimshot
Chaotic Dreams Team

heh heh

Post by Rimshot »

Yup I agree completely.

After seeing their presentation here at QuakeCON I have already thought about how to save my money for one.
Rimshot
Chaotic Dreams
Development Team
jb

Post by jb »

And here are just some of the reviews:

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzQw
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/r300/default.asp
http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/rad ... =page1.inc

beening a 3d card junkie alls I have to say is wow. ATI always had trouble delievering on their claims of speed, ship dates, drivers and perfromance. Today however they put all of those to rest, stepped up to the plate and hit the ball out of the park with the R9700. Congrads to ATI for getting their act together... Hmm my bday is coming up soon and a new video card would fit in rather nicely...hmmmmm
Jb
Ack!!!

Post by Ack!!! »

Hi guys been a wile some of you will remember me some wont but anyhow I do tech support for a rather large online game now and one thing that is a real problem is the ati radeons they have numerous problems with the unreal warfare engine wich is the same as teh ut2k3 demo I do tech support for Americas Army Operations.
now im not saying do not go out and buy it just be fore warned there are alot of issues with them compared to there competition nvidias run the unreal warfare engine smoothly. The atis are a very nice card nonethe less but for gaming they are well problematic at best sorry just letting u know what I have seen with my experience with them.
Shark get out of the pool.
jb

Post by jb »

Too late. I have one. So did Kirin. So far no major issues. Only one bug with Tribes2 and AA. Any amount of AA and the menu's are corrupted. With out AA its fine. I did not download Battlefeild but I hear they have already made a driver fixe for that an the Thing (thought Mifa was included in there as well).

I have played AA on it and ran into no issues but I did not play it for more than a few hours. It runs great on the new Black Hawk Down demo as well as the NOLF2 demo that came out today. And even on UT2k3. The only time when I got it to crash is when I forced Trufrom on in UT2k3 but forgot to turn it on in the driver pannel. Once I did I noticed it work but since its running in software it kills the FPS so I turned it off.

I have also played and found no issues with the 9700 on:

AVP2/Primal Hunt, HL/CS/DOD, Q2, Q3, RtCW, SOF2, JK2, C&C:Renagade, MOH:AA, Tribes2 (again with out AA on), Free Space, NFG, UT, Rune, Deus Ex, NOLF.

With what little work I have done on the UT2k3 editor I have found no issues with it for UT engines. I also do all the code so it does not have an issue with that.

This card rocks. I can play all games I have at max IQ and live with frame rates that are almost double what my current 8500 or gf4 ti4200 could do. I know not everyone has the same experince. But there are a lot of very happy R9700 users out there.

I think that some of the problems are users errors as ATI cards work well if you install them on a fresh system. As well as the developers. The developers are all using nV as their primary development platform. Nothing wrong with that. So as bugs are discovered they are fixed. Ideally these developers will also test on other cards. But since the R9700 is new and they were NOT out to developers in any large qaunities a few months ago. I can see how there would be a few more issues with them as these developers did not have time to test their games on the R9700. I dont find that to be issue with the card. Its an issue with ATI developers realations and the developers.

Thanks for your input though!
Jb
Ack!!!

Post by Ack!!! »

Yes you do have a good point about what was available a few months ago but the main problem cards we have seen are the ati radeons 7s and 8s not many 9s had the issues. just that the last three months of this job was 40% ati problems the rest were people who didnt understand that they need a hardware T&L card to run AA:O go figure theyd get pissed off at us for them haveing a intel onboard chipset trying to play this game...
it was an really funny situation but that is another story...
im glad you havent had these issues that was what my warning was for all i intended by it was a headsup there are issues with them and yes fresh install is the best to put an new video card in on for sure .
Shark get out of the pool.
Kirin
Chaotic Wild Child

Post by Kirin »

8O

Whoa! A month-old thread of mines got bumped. 8O

Anyway, I'm enjoying my new Radeon 9700 card ... except with the occasional lockup, which I'm guessing is my PSU (which is 300 watts). My friend has a similiar system as mine and had the same problems. He got himself a Enermax 430 watt PSU and a majority of the problems went away. I just ordered myself the same PSU and hoping that does the trick.

I did find major slow-downs with Max5 on WinXP but not on Win2k ... I have yet to figure out why though ... :?
Kirin
Chaotic Wild Child

Post by Kirin »

:lol:

Hi, this thread is all about ATI cards, REAL ATI CARDS. This card is awesome. My name is Kirin and I can't stop thinking about ATI Cards. These cards are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

Facts:

1. ATI is Canadian.
2. ATI fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of an ATI Card is to allow people to flip out and kill people with DX9 effects and all that totally sweet stuff, especially those who work for nVidia.

Okay ... maybe I've gotten too far when it comes to Real Ultimate VPU Power ... but I gotta tell ya: Playing with x6/x16 is just cool ... and by cool, I mean totally sweet. 8)
spazoid

hmmm

Post by spazoid »

Very interesting...
Spazoid