Looking for help from experienced melee coder.

Feel free to chat about non-Chaos stuff in here.
RyGaR

Looking for help from experienced melee coder.

Post by RyGaR »

Hey guys Im new here, let me just start by introducing myself. Im RyGaR a team member of a total conversion mod of Unreal Championship 2 for UT2k4. We're naming the project UC2004 since it captures the name of both series in one package.

Klasnic, a well known mapper, skinner, modeler is leading the team. We already have several experienced mappers, modelers, and texturers. The one place and perhaps the most important (to make the game truely like the UC2 experience) we are lacking in is coders. Because of the radically different gameplay of UC2 compared to UT2k4, unlimited multidodging, enhanced 3rd person view, and of course the best part melee combat, we need only the most experienced and talented coders we can get.

I could think of no better place to request help from other than some of the communitys most experienced melee coders, team members from the chaos mod. We genuinely would like to create the best mod that we can and would greatly appreciate any help that we could get.

We have a topic about the mod over at the atari forums http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/sh ... p?t=507048 . No website at the moment but if your at all interested please stop by our temporary forums over at UT2007 world http://ut2007world.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259

PS. For those of you that may have only seen screenshots of UC2 and never seen actual in game footage check out this video

http://unrealchampionship2.com/GamersDay.html
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

Not to make you feel bad, but I'd need some coders, texturers and sound designers too... I just didn't feel like "stealing" form another mod team :?

I can't talk for them though. I can only say that they're probably very busy ATM with the new CUT2 relase.

PS:
I like apple pies!
[insert another random sentence here]
[and another]
[and another!]
[and ano-nother!]
[...]
jb

Post by jb »

So what type of help are you looking for?
Jb
RyGaR

Post by RyGaR »

Well just as I typed in my topic, we're looking for help from experienced coders, peticularly in melee. As i stated already we have a few mappers, modelers and texturers, but we are in need of quality coders if we really wanna make this mod the best that it can be.
Klasnic_e

Post by Klasnic_e »

I am not steeling anybodys teammates, let me tell you something Tim, Chaotic Dreams does not own Any of their teamates, all i came here to do is recruit some coders for their Spare time to help out in the Unreal championship 2 mod So if you have a problem with it, then i'll talk to the prject head. We need experienced coders for melee attacks and weapons for the mod.
UC2 Mod head.
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Tim isn't on the team, don't let him get you worked up.
Klasnic_e

Post by Klasnic_e »

Well i knew that by 2 reasons: 1. he doesn't have team member. and 2. his attitude.
UC2 Mod head.
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Klasnic_e wrote:I am not steeling anybodys teammates, let me tell you something Tim, Chaotic Dreams does not own Any of their teamates, all i came here to do is recruit some coders for their Spare time to help out in the Unreal championship 2 mod So if you have a problem with it, then i'll talk to the prject head. We need experienced coders for melee attacks and weapons for the mod.
Ok, One of the current project heads is listening. I dont mean to be an ass but im not really thrilled with the idea of another mod team comming in and attempting to recruit our members. No, You are right, We dont own them. All are free to do as they will. But let me ask you a question. What would make you think that its not offencive to come to another mod team and attempt to recruit from their members? We pioneered the Unreal Tournament mod community. Do you not have any respect for us? Oh yea, one last question. What would make you think there are any talented people here?
The Dark Side of Chaos.
Klasnic_e

Post by Klasnic_e »

LoQtUS wrote:
Klasnic_e wrote:I am not steeling anybodys teammates, let me tell you something Tim, Chaotic Dreams does not own Any of their teamates, all i came here to do is recruit some coders for their Spare time to help out in the Unreal championship 2 mod So if you have a problem with it, then i'll talk to the prject head. We need experienced coders for melee attacks and weapons for the mod.
Ok, One of the current project heads is listening. I dont mean to be an *** but im not really thrilled with the idea of another mod team comming in and attempting to recruit our members. No, You are right, We dont own them. All are free to do as they will. But let me ask you a question. What would make you think that its not offencive to come to another mod team and attempt to recruit from their members? We pioneered the Unreal Tournament mod community. Do you not have any respect for us? Oh yea, one last question. What would make you think there are any talented people here?

1. Whats wrong with your members working with another mod? You say you don't own them but your acting like you do by saying that were recruiting your members, They are free to join 20 mods if they want, whats it to you? We do have respect with you, please point out where i disrespected your team :roll: We are a mod group in need of melee coders, so we just came here to ask some of these coders to help us out, its rare to find coder, especially melee coders for mods. So i suggest you just cool it. There are talented people here alright, are you blind? Look you said your one of the project managers, i want to talk to the head project manager, not a senior project manager.
UC2 Mod head.
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

You are talking to the current head of the Chaotic Dreams team. I dont find a need to flaunt my position. As far as i am concerned all of our team members are equals. So, hopefully we are crystal clear now. I am the team leader. What can i do for you?

How are you being disrespectful? How would you feel if i walked into your house and sat on your couch and helped myself to your tv? Maybe i could help myself to your computer and girlfriend too? Would that be disrespectful? If so why? Now you have your answer as to why i think its a bit disrespectful. As for the practices of this team, i really dont think there is any need to explain them to an outsider.

My comment about being talented was a joke. Im sure that most of my team mates will catch it. No, im not blind yet.

So again, I ask you. Now that your attitude has gotten way out of hand, what can i do for you?
The Dark Side of Chaos.
RyGaR

Post by RyGaR »

Klasnic take it easy man jees.

Loqtus I apologize if i offended you or any of the other chaos team members. My intentions were not to try and steal anyone from your mod, i was simply asking a favor from one mod team to another. I was checking if anyone had any free time maybe they could help another team out seeing as how this is our first mod.
toniglandyl

Post by toniglandyl »

yeh klasnic is pretty oppressive, it's kinda annoying, but we can take it (or ignore it) :( .

yeah, RyGaR and I had a discussion about how weapons and melee had to come in place since animations and weapons couldn't be ported from Unreal Championship 2 into the editor. So since you've done an excelent job with your duel mod, RyGaR has thought that one (or more) might have enough time to help us out with our mod.

PS : i love your mod, can't wait for the next release.
Klasnic_e

Post by Klasnic_e »

Wow, thanks for making that clear fo rhim RyGar, thats my point.
UC2 Mod head.
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

RyGaR wrote:Klasnic take it easy man jees.

Loqtus I apologize if i offended you or any of the other chaos team members. My intentions were not to try and steal anyone from your mod, i was simply asking a favor from one mod team to another. I was checking if anyone had any free time maybe they could help another team out seeing as how this is our first mod.
No apology needed. Its all good. I could have been a little more composed also. I was not as offended by the request as i was for the way one of our Fans were treated. Fans are a mods life blood. A word of advice: Treat them as good as you can. If you dont then, you will be sitting there alone. Lets just chalk it up to a miss understanding. :)

Unfortunatly, we have had really bad experiences with working with other mod teams. We have learned the hard way that this usualy does not work out, and have even been denied credit for direct work we have done on a mod. If some of our team members want ot help you out then that is all well and good, but I will tell you that personaly feel that if they are working on another mod then they could be working on Chaos. I will also tell you that most of our members will be kept very busy by the development that we have in the future. We are looking to get a few more releases out before UT07, and after that i dont believe that any of our members will have any extra free time to work on anything except Chaos. We are looking at doing something really big for the next version of Chaos. Ofcourse, it is up to the individual members what they do with their own time. I personaly would not like to see another fiasco like the one that we went through with Soul Keeper.

toniglandyl wrote:yeh klasnic is pretty oppressive, it's kinda annoying, but we can take it (or ignore it) :( .

yeah, RyGaR and I had a discussion about how weapons and melee had to come in place since animations and weapons couldn't be ported from Unreal Championship 2 into the editor. So since you've done an excelent job with your duel mod, RyGaR has thought that one (or more) might have enough time to help us out with our mod.

PS : i love your mod, can't wait for the next release.
Im sorry that your team leader seems to be like that. It can really take all of the fun out of the work when that happens.

UC2 is alot like ChaosUT2, with sentient mines and Melee. You are looking at a tremendous ammount of work. I honestly wish you the best with it. I did notice that all of the videos that you have on your site are of ChaosUT2. LOL I dont have UC2 as i do not have an x box and the video that i watched that you linked was the first time i have seen it in action. I will tell you that about 80% of the melee that we have in our mod is anamation and models. You will need a great coder (Like the ones that we have), but you will also need a modeler that understands anamations pretty well. It has taken me about a year and a half to get Chaos Melee to its current state and i am still not done yet. Ask Jb. All he does now for the melee is add in the weapons and anims that i hand him. What you are really going to need is a troup of animaters and modelers if you are going to get you mod up to the quality level of UC2.
And thank you verry much for the kind words. They are always nice to hear.
Klasnic_e wrote:Wow, thanks for making that clear fo rhim RyGar, thats my point.
I think your points were pretty clear for the start of the thread. I realize that you are young, and maybe feel that you need to make a name for yourself. I unfortunatly am not young anymore, and still have a bit of a bad attitude. This is why i am one of the team leaders. I usualy need my co leader to off set me when attitudes start to fly. I would suggest you think about setting up the same system for your mod. A team leader that blasts people all the time will be seen as an undesirable person to be around, and this will also reflect on the mod. People will not care what work you have done if you are nasty to them. They will be repulsed and even if they dont really think you work is bad they will tell you that it sucks. What do you care? They tell their friends what happened. Word spreads and before you know it you have spent a year or so working on a mod that no one will touch.

Well, you are right. We dont own our team members, but then again, You dont own your girlfriend either. We cant stop them from working on anything they want, but you cant stop your girlfriend from finding another guy either. Can you? Is it disrespectful for another guy to court her right infront of you? Sure it is. The same applys in this situation. Now in the first post on the thread no one specified that they were looking for spare time. They said "we need only the most experienced and talented coders we can get." That looked to myself and apparently others that you were courting my girlfriend. Hence the missunderstanding. Yes, you did say later that it was spare time you were looking for, but before that you decided to point your guns at our team and one of our fans. A better way to handel it would have been " Sorry we wernt clear, we are looking for spare time not to recruit them for our team."

With all of that said, What can i do for you? Im still confused why you wanted to speak to the team leader.

[/edit: Im sorry if i have offended any of you. This is not my intention.]
The Dark Side of Chaos.
jb

Post by jb »

A project like this is gonna to be a full time postion for one or more coders. I just dont have any "extra" time. I have tried to spent my "extra" time playing games when I am not working on Chaos and I am still way behind. So am sorry I dont have any extra time to do any real work. Now what I can do is help with some quetsions, code and things of that nature. So I am more than happy to help in that manor. But you really should find a full time coder or two as it will need that much work from the coding side..
Jb