Reintroduction.

Feel free to chat about non-Chaos stuff in here.
Dorian_Old

Reintroduction.

Post by Dorian_Old »

Hi there, my name's Matt. I actually have no idea how long I was absent from this board or all things Chaos even. I just want to say hello to all the active forum members and try not to think about how long I was gone because it makes me cringe.

Speaking of cringing, when I finally snagged the UT3 demo (last night)...oh yes, it looks like crap on my computer. However the only bottleneck component in my computer is my graphics card, so I've been told. I'm not a big computer tech. buff guy but I have 4 gigs of ram (recently I discovered that XP can't even detect all 4 which makes me feel really cool for getting that much), the intel duo core processor business, x-fi soundcard, etc. Hmm well you know I just caught myself -- the same expert who told me about 'the only bottleneck' thing Also told me that when I finally do upgrade from craptasstic graphics to fantastic that I will need to purchase a new monitor also. Why? This is the reason Dorian needs to learn a bit more about computers -- this LCD monitor I thought was so cool happens to be analog. Now before I talked to my computer expert friend did I know what that meant? Nope. Well apparently analog (I honestly don't have a grasp on what the word 'analog' itself means) monitors lack what's called a 'DVI' (digital something?) connection which means that the best graphics card out there is useless for me until I get a monitor with this type of connection. VGA, I believe, is what this analog LCD monitor of mine has.

To get back to UT3 (and end the frustrated ranting about inadequate hardware)...I've been having fun playing a bit on R.Flagg's listen server as we're both in Ohio. So far I suck at using the hoverboard. It all looks very cool though (as best as it can look on my machine).

I will definitely be renting a couple UT3 servers from my current UT2k4 provider, Gameservers.

In the meantime I'm going to attempt to sell some music gear on eBay to scrap together some funds for a new graphics card.

Good to be back; I will definitely be around more than I was (which was not at all I guess...but yeah).

Dorian
jb

Post by jb »

Dorian,

what kind of video card do you have now? And what is your budget? I can help suggest one. You dont HAVE to update your LCD. Yes you will get some sharper text and a few other things going via DVI (all digital connection) but you still get a pretty dam good image via analog. I would not upgrad for just that. However if you say going to a bigger wide screen monitor then get one that has DVI or HDMI with the HDCP just in case you watch or want to watch anything that is Hi Def and content protected.

None the less let me know what if anything I can do to help!!!
Jb
Dorian_Old

Post by Dorian_Old »

Was going to update this soon. Ordered a 19 inch widescreen dvi monitor this morning and later today I'm ordering the new nvidia geforce 8800 GT which gen.Kaboodles suggested to me.

...I came across some money. I know, I sound like Pepito.

Dorian
jb

Post by jb »

those are very nice pieces of hardware. They should do you well!
Jb