I'd like to introduce myself...

Feel free to chat about non-Chaos stuff in here.
KodiakChaos
Chaotic Dreams Team

I'd like to introduce myself...

Post by KodiakChaos »

Hey everyone,

I just registered to the forums, so you might be seeing more of me around here for awhile.

I bought UT-GOTY about a month after it came out, and I just loved CUT. I'm glad you guys are creating a UT2k3 version, becuase I bought it right when it came out.

I've been designing levels for awhile (War2, Starcraft, UT, War3, and UT2k3), but I've never released any of my creations to the online community. Well thats all going to change with UT2k3!

Anyway, hope to see you all around.
DJPaul

Post by DJPaul »

Hi Kodiak, nice to have you on these 'ere forums.

You sound as if you're an experianced gamer, and equally experianced mapper. Remember, as R. Flagg posted on our main newspage:
As you can see, our team continues to grow. We are stronger now in terms of manpower than we were at any time in our UT version. However, this does not mean the call for talent is over. We could still use more people in various areas. Mappers and skinners for example. So if you're looking for a good outlet for your creative work, give us a try. Forgive my bias, but ChaosUT2: Evolution looks to be a great project to be involved with.

Interested? Is anyone reading this interested? We don't bite =)

You could create any standard UT2003 gametype map, or a King of the Hill map, or one perhaps for a "sword arena" mode. Or one that can handle all sorts of gametypes :)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Welcome Kodiak.

Always glad to see more mappers out there. There can never be too many custom maps.

Just in case you ever need some playtesting done, I've done a fair amount of that for folks over the years, so feel free to post a link. I'd be happy to check them out if/when I've got time.

(P.S. -Stick a Chaos item/weapon/theme/whatever in it somewhere and I'll always have time!)
KodiakChaos
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by KodiakChaos »

Well I'll work on a CUT2 map just to get things moving. I'm itching to do a gothic style map (I feel that maps of that style were left out of UT2k3).

Just wondering though, do you CUT guys have some kind of UED3 patch that lets you place CUT specific actors (like sword/axe pickup etc.)?
As you can see, our team continues to grow. We are stronger now in terms of manpower than we were at any time in our UT version. However, this does not mean the call for talent is over. We could still use more people in various areas. Mappers and skinners for example. So if you're looking for a good outlet for your creative work, give us a try. Forgive my bias, but ChaosUT2: Evolution looks to be a great project to be involved with.
Well let me prove myself before you drag me into your twisted world :)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well, it's early and things are still being worked out, but the least we can do is hook you up with our lead mapper, LoQtUS.

If he doesn't read this soon, you can always send him a Private Message, he could help out in that dept.
KodiakChaos
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by KodiakChaos »

Alright then, I guess I'll get started designing some simple map ideas tonight.

Thanks guys
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

DId i hear my Name?? heh Welcome to our twisted little world, where even the happy things have a dark sinister side ;)

I look forward to seeing some of your work. It sounds like you would be an asset :)
Just wondering though, do you CUT guys have some kind of UED3 patch that lets you place CUT specific actors (like sword/axe pickup etc.)?
To answer your Question, Once we get CE to the point that it will be a beta 1 release then you will have the Items available in the Editor under the Actors Menu. Until then My sugjestion would be to build a " normal" UT2k3 Map. Those should always be compatable with Chaos, cause we normaly use a rotator system on the weapons to accomidate normal Maps. This will be true with CE. I am in the process of building a collection of custom Chaos statics to be used by Mappers ;)

Another tidbit of info is:

To be a Chaos Map, a map MUST have in it somewhere a Chaos Logo ( corrisponding to the appropriate version) and the Name of the Mod ( IE: ChaosUT, ChaosDM, Chaos Arena, Chaos Evolution). This is usualy done with Custom textures and Custom statics.

Also to become a team Mapper one must compleet atleast 3 Chaos maps that are well recieved by the Chaos Community. ( this is a long standing rule was passed to me by the last Lead mapper, and i have no intentions of changing it) Youll end up noticing that most of our mappers endup doing more then just mapping. heh Take JB for instance. He is not only a mapper, but he also happens to be the lead coder ;) I get my hands dirty with everything except the code. This isnt a requirement, just a tidbit of info ;)
KodiakChaos
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by KodiakChaos »

Ok then. I think I can handle that, but I don't have a 3D program, and can't seem to get MAYA PLE to run, so I make all my static meshes in UED3. This is not the best way of doing it, but its better than leaving them as BSP brushes.

As far as creating textures with the ChaosUT logo and such on it, I'm not sure how to do that, which leads me to another question, can you put custom textures in the MyLevel package in a map so it doesn't need an external texture package?

Thanks in advance
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

If ya are looking to get some statics let me know what ya have inmind, maybe we can whip somthing up :)

I wouldnt put custom texturs in the MyLevel package, cause it could cause some funky problems. I have seen Ut flip out when that happens. I learned my lesson and havnt tryd it with UT2k3. hehehehe
KodiakChaos
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by KodiakChaos »

I slapped together a map in about 8 hours, tell me how to post screen shots and I'll show ya it :D
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Ya should post them on the ChaosUT mapping forum. if you have a website you could upload them and HTML will work in a posted message

[admin edit: HTML is suppose to work]