Chaos & Quake

Feel free to chat about non-Chaos stuff in here.
Mayhem

Chaos & Quake

Post by Mayhem »

You know....it's really sad that the Quake3 version of this mod never came to fruition.....

Chaos is and to me anway....always will be a mod for Quake. The UT version is ok but UT is such a cumbersome, slow, first person shooter. Chaos for UT never had the same feel or following that the Q2 Chaos mod had.

UT2K mod work is well underway and I salute those who are working on that project. It will never be what Chaos for Q3 Arena could have been though.

It's really too bad that the work on Q3 was so disorganized and fell to the wayside. It could have been one of the greatest mods in FPS history in my opinion.....
Mayhem
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Have no fear... our faithful Rimshot is pulling the team together for Quake 4 or Doom 3 (that decision is still up to the team and the release dates)...

FurrySound{Moo}
Lothar{Moo}
Kamikaze Tester

Post by Lothar{Moo} »

Have you got UT2003 Her Mayhem?

I know what you're saying, but I find UT2K3 much less 'cumbersome' than UT... it's more Quake-ish :)
Lothar{Moo} :proxy:
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

You know....it's really sad that the Quake3 version of this mod never came to fruition.....
I could not agree with you more. But who knows, maybe Major will return and have the Current build of CA to finish. I would have no problems with going back and working on it, but starting from the build that we have would take too long.

Mayhem, I understand where you are comming from. In some ways i agree with you ;) UT had a verry slow moving feel to it. Where as Quake Arena was more of a high paced action.
UT2K mod work is well underway and I salute those who are working on that project. It will never be what Chaos for Q3 Arena could have been though.
This is where im going to have to disagree with you my friend. ( i have a little bit of an insiders view on what Chaos Evolution will be like.) UT2k3 is a verry fast paced game. I have herd the play of UT 2k3 described quite a few times as alot like Quake. Alot of the Chaos Items that were missing from CUT are allredy in CE.
It's really too bad that the work on Q3 was so disorganized and fell to the wayside. It could have been one of the greatest mods in FPS history in my opinion.....
I think Chaos is the greatist mod in FPS history. Soon Chaos will have releases on 3 game packages( if you include the Public Alpha of CA it would be 4). There are not many mods that can say that. 90% of Mods die off before their first release. We are a really strong team who will be doing this most likely on through the next 3 or 4 game platforms. We have added some new members who are verry strong, and have Spa back modeling. Only good things can come from that :P

I for one cant waite to see Chaos come to UT2k3( i might be just a touch Biased). The engine is verry robust and will allow us to do things that just would not work with the UT engine. It will be nice to have some stunning proxy trails, and trust me when i say that the Laser Trip mines are pretty cool.

It would seem that My friend, that you are simply not interested in it because its not quake. Im really sorry to hear that. Id really like to have you input on what we are doing. You have been around playing Chaos for quit a while, and probably know it as well as most of us that are building it. The game is still Chaos. Only the Engine is more powerful. Why not give it a shot? Ya might have fun.
Mayhem

UT2K3

Post by Mayhem »

Hi guys,
Just saw your replies on this. I'm sure I'll give UT2K3 a shot when it hits beta stage. I've just been a Quake player for so many years and Quake3 Arena is the best version of this classic ID game from a multiplayer standpoint. We do 2 lan parties a year and for the past 2 or 3 years we've played nothing but Q3. Easy to set up and fast paced gameplay is unmatched in the multiplayer genre. ChaosUT (the original cut for UT) is cool but the gameplay is like slow motion compared to Quake3. That's not the Chaos' teams fault, it's just the way the game plays. I guess I'll always think of Chaos as a mode for Quake since I followed it from it's infancy when Flash and Spa were pretty much "the team". Anyway...you'll more than likely see me in the mix at some point after the UT2K3 release. Take care all.
Mayhem
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Fair enough.

We'll see you in Beta 1 then I hope.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Keep in mind, we have laser mines and the various nades, poison, flash, and regular, (plus the new napalm) which were in the Q2 version, but left out of CUT.

We also have a rail gun. All of which I think is helping this version to play more like the Q2 one.

Plus these will all be included in Beta 1.

And I'll use this post to remind anyone reading of what else is set to be in Beta 1;

Improved/configurable respawn protection
the kick
the low-health heartbeat sounds
grappling hook
anti-gravity belt
jump boots
armor shards
vortex
proxies
sniper rifle
crossbow -with new flaming arrows!
sword
axe
King of the Hill

Plus the ability to go to spectator mode, and back to player, in online games of ChaosUT2. Unlike normal UT2, where you have to reconnect.

And whatever I'm forgetting. Just using this moment to plug stuff yet again is all.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Looks a bit odd, 'cause I was moving backward at the time. (you can see I was a few feet forward when I fired) Probably executing a perfect back flip/rail gun move of some sort. :wink:

But it shows me railing Loq, so it's better than a bot pic. It's a low res pic, because I was trying to play online, and the gun isn't finished, but still, it shows we are in fact making progress.
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Look at my peices fly!!!! That obviously was not the Match that i owned ya. ;)

should have screened that one. hehehehe no one will ever believe it. hehehehe
The Dark Side of Chaos.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Why, I have no idea what you might be referring to LoQ. :lol:
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

HAHAHAHHAHA
The Dark Side of Chaos.
jb

Post by jb »

Mayhem,

well one good thing that will come out of Q3:Arena is the lesson learned. For example never keep the code on one persons HDD. No matter how deadicated that person is. We have not heard from Major in over 6 months and are concerned. Now will that wont due much for you at least we can get better so that these mistakes wont (or we try not to let them) happen again.
Jb
Mayhem

On the subject of Major

Post by Mayhem »

If you want my honest opinion, this guy never had his heart in Chaos. Promise after promise out of the guy and nada for results. If he didn't have the time or inclination to finish the coding he should have had the guts to step aside and pass the code on to someone who could finish it. I wish someone could breathe some life back in to the Q3 version of this mod. IMO would be the end all version of Chaos.

Now on the flipside....the UT2K version sounds like it is going to have a lot of the good ole Q2 goodies and that's great. I know you guys have been working hard on this. I'm really not trying to take anything away from that work. As a professional programmer, I realize the amount of time and effort involved.

I just really wish Q3 Chaos would have survived......where's Flash when ya need him.....
Mayhem
MadFragger

Post by MadFragger »

if you actually ever talked to major..you would know his heart was in chaos. and other people did work on it..not just him. it sort of took even longer then expected when he moved from texas to california, that took a nice chunk of time. on top of being really busy at work he was a husband and a father. also he used to code like a billion other things for the linux community as well. So ya..i could see some dissappointment if he was some younger guy who had all sorts of spare time to code the mod, but unfortunately he didnt. so before you start ripping on major because he didnt deliver q3:chaos fast enough for you..try to think about the other stuff that was going on too.
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

I couldent have said it better, MadFragger.
The Dark Side of Chaos.