Grapple this!

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
NiceDude

Grapple this!

Post by NiceDude »

Chaotic Dream Team,

My friends and i NEED the grapple in UT2003.
Some of us are addicted to it (i'm not naming names).

i'm hoping it would be relatively quick to put out a stand alone grapple mutator for UT2 before doing the entire MOD

Some people MIGHT not care for this mutator in some types of game play, but it makes for great fun in many DM maps.. which is the type my friends and i play most. If anyone doesnt like the grapple, they can just leave it out.

The grapple mutator is what we downloaded CUT for. 8)

ND
§
|
|
|
|
GRAPPLE
one_gundam_war

Post by one_gundam_war »

lol. i actually sent an e-mail to one of the guys who code a while back asking this exact question. i forgot the response though...
jb

Post by jb »

Awweee you dont like the rest of the CUT mod then? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sure we can look into it. At this time its really hard to say until we can take a look and see how things have changed in UT2003 and then we can probably help you.
Jb
one_gundam_war

Post by one_gundam_war »

i personally love the whole package. but i need a grapple for when i play the Strangelove mod. i want to be able to either:
a. hook onto my teammates missile or
b. accidentally kill my teammate.

either way, it's gonna be insane. lol
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I know I haven't been asked directly, but just for the record, I don't think we should, and I didn't like that we did it for UT.

Now I know we've only done the grapple so far, but if we continue to dole out one piece here by request, and another there, pretty soon nobody is playing Chaos, just using the little piece they liked.

So, my vote, for what it's worth, is not only a rock solid NO for UT2, but also to remove it ASAP in CUT.

IMO, if you want the cherry, you gotta take the whole pie.
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

i disagree. that would mean also taking out stuff like crossbow (or explosive crossbow) arena which are a lot of fun. and if everyone hears about this grapple mutator that such-and-such mod has, that means all the more people will download it, and in looking for a grapple, discover a really cool weapons mod. in my opinion since this is more of a weapons mod than a gameplay mod, i think it should be perfectly ok to be able to use one some or all weapons as a substitute for one some or all standard weapons. better to get a peice of the pie than none at all.
I slay thee in the name of Khaz Modan!
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Sir, your argument for allowing this mutator to exist is valid, for the most part, and is pretty much why it exists in the 1st place. Bait them with a grapple, and then 'hook' ( :wink: ) them with the rest of the mod.

I respect the opinion, however I still strongly disagree.

And, from the manual;

<blockquote>The following mini-mutators must be used in combination (!!!) with the main ChaosUT Beta4 Mutator

SwordMelee - Everyone's starting melee weapon is a ChaosUT Bastard Sword

SwordArena - All weapons are the ChaosUT Bastard Sword

CrossbowArena - All weapons are the ChaosUT Standard Crossbow with normal arrows for ammo

CrossbowArena/MultiAmmo - All weapons are the ChaosUT Standard Crossbow with random arrow types for ammo

ExplosiveCrossbowArena - All weapons are the ChaosUT Explosive Crossbow with explosive arrows for ammo

PoisonCrossbowArena - All weapons are the ChaosUT Poison Crossbow with poison arrows for ammo

Beta4 LMS Patch - Makes the LMS gametype work correctly with ChaosUT Beta4

These you may use without the main ChaosUT Beta4 Mutator

NoHealth - Removes all MedBoxes, HealthVials, and the Keg O' Health

GrappleOnly - Allows you to use the famous ChaosUT grappling hook in non-ChaosUT games ( Enjoy! )
</blockquote>

As you can see, this GrappleOnly mutator can be used w/o running Chaos at all along with it. Run the crossbow muts as you mentioned, and you also must run the main mut. So you've got all the extras along for the ride. But with the GrappleOnly, you can ditch the rest, and just keep the grapple. IMO, all cherry, no pie.

On a related note, I was busted while camping in Russia recently. You see, I was happily camping on a ledge overlooking the RL while playing with Gasman and Crazy_Killer recently, and all was well.

But then, in my relaxed state of gib-watchin', I failed to notice Crazy sneak in the door just far enough to send his hook up a couple quick times and take me down. ( and it was caught on tape ) How embaraskin!

*I left the non-functional blockquote tags so Mass could see it.
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

Yes, youre right. I know it says that in the manual. But try running a game with Sword Melee on and not the CUT mutator. Result: IT WORKS. you can run sword melee without running the mutator. No Health and grapple only work, and they even say in the manual in your post below that they work without the mutator, and it should stay that way. The others probably do too, but i havent tried them. as long as the correct files are present on your system, the mutator will be able to load the weapon model sound or whatever is needed. wether the fact they work is a bug, im not sure, but sword melee works muator or not. This is a weapons mod, and i stand by my posistion of letting people use which weapons they want, grapple or otherwise. I like em all, but if so and so doesnt like the gravity vortex or something, he shouldnt be forced to ahve it in the game. on a related note, CUT also has some gameplay content (KOTH and sword arena gametypes). since these are brought to you by CUT, whenever these gametypes are run, all CUT content needs to be used. (unrelated: the grapple can be a problem when playing jailbreak because u can use it even in areas where xloc use is disabled)

In Tactical Ops, when you play TO with deathmatch and whatnot, TO allows you complete control over which of its guns are used. this is partly because there are far more weapons then there are weapon actors in a map, but still a good example. IMHO anything that gets more people to download is a good thing- and like i said, some may discover the rest of the mod is really sweet too. people like to have more control. i dont think we should be limiting in this way. if people want to use the grapple (one cherry) and nothing else, that should be their perogitave. theyll just be missing out on the other cool weapons. but probably, if they knew they could throw in the crossbow, or sword, etc., they would mix amd match stuff. Any of the weapons are great alone (that doesnt mean i dont think they are better all together) but i dont think theres anything wrong with people being able to pick. the grapple is a classic device that many people will want to use. and if people see CUT and go "oh it has a grapple, lets download it," well theres one more person who got CUT. is that really a bad thing? and then they might go, "hey, u know these other weapons are pretty cool too."

also, you dont need to be so formal in your posts (Sir?)
{edit: the crossbow mutators work sans CUT beta4 mutator as well.}
{edit 2: readability}
Last edited by Sir Tahngarth on Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Switch

Post by Switch »

hi ,

didn't i hear something about a menu that would allow one to select which weapons to use in the match ........... e.g. not using poison crossbow or reg. sniper, but use the rest?

this , I believe , would be the best way to compromise this matter

sir , madam , i bid you adieu

have a nice day
I was normal once. I didn't like it.
Switch

Post by Switch »

qazzTahngarth wrote:also, you dont need to be so formal in your posts (Sir?)
hi ,

i personally find such formalities to add a depth of personality , as if he actually cared that he was writing what he wrote

for a better example of personality , check out panag from the apolyton forums, especially in the civ3 sections

have a nice day
I was normal once. I didn't like it.
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

part of the reason i pointed out the formality issue was because techically there is no way to determine wether or not i am actually a 'Sir.' playing UT does not automatically mean I am male (I am, but this point still holds.) it is stereotypical to make such an assumption. i could just as easily have been a Ms. Mrs. or Miss, Dr., master, prince, king, queen, or even an it :lol: therefore, i find it dangerous to use those kinds of formalities. i do agree, however that i and people in general need to be more careful of their typing in forms (i did go back thru my post and capitolize some i's and seperate some stuff to make it more readable :) )
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

qazz, just because a specific mutator works without the main mutator doesn't mean the main mutator isn't loaded.

Yes Flagg, I'll get around to looking at the html bug. I was out all day today.
one_gundam_war

Post by one_gundam_war »

for those of you who care...
the grapple and the strangelove are a bad combination (lol). fire your grapple while riding, and you take off about 50% of your hull. very scary.

but guys, i see no problem with allowing one or 2 of the features to be in mutator form. think about it, if people have stuffswapper (or even WORM) they can already seperate the mod. and either way, they still download it, and still give feedback.
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

?? what is strangelove?
one_gundam_war

Post by one_gundam_war »

/me gasps at his ignorance (lol. j/k)
strangelove lets you ride the redeemer. it is immensely fun. it totally redefines the CTF gametype. many maps do not really have support for it, but it works amazingly with any map with wide open spaces. let us use an example from a game i played in CTF-Face with a couple of other people.:
map starts
everyone does the traditional "gl hf"
pretty much everyone grabs a strangelove (we are using the arena mutator).
everyone launches out
one guy grabs the flag and takes off
everyone starts to fly and try to kill him. people begin to fire off many rounds at his missile hoping to make him crash.
i run out of fuel and plummet to my doom
upon respawn, i run into him head on.

that is a small sample (it is more fun than my horrid writing skill make it sound).