auto-taunts, CTF, and CUT2

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

auto-taunts, CTF, and CUT2

Post by R.Flagg »

Hey howdy,

I hate auto-taunts when fraggin someone. That's for new players. But I like idea of some automatic stuff when playing CTF.

It would be great to see the next version of Chaos have CTF-only auto stuff.

Say you're on defence, and you get shot. If not dead, then an auto "I'm under attack!" would be nice. Maybe limit it to when you're actually in your base, if zones can be used to do it. Or if your flag is stolen, the 1st time you get the flag-carrier in your crosshairs, an automatic "Enemy flag carrier is here" would be cool. And the usual "I've got the flag" when you grab enemy flag of course.

Now there would still be plenty of stuff to do manually, we don't want to remove all human input, but just the basic stuff would be nice.

Also, when playing DM, Chaos-specific taunts would be awesome. ( I still wouldn't use them on 'auto', but would be nice to have for manual ) I don't have lots of ideas for these yet, but I'm sure some folks reading this might. What would be nice to say when getting someone with Vortex? Maybe "Sucks, doesn't it?" , or something better. But you see what I mean.

Thoughts? Ideas for Chaos specific taunts? ( just in case it can happen )
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

if yo dont like auto taunts turn them off in preferences. im not a "new" player and i find it adds competitive atmosphere, particularly since you hear them so much it doesnt mean anything.

bots are programed to do the things you mentioned. if players want to do those things they should do them themselves. just use the speech binder and jam the"im under attack" key or the "ive got the flag" keey when those things happen. Valhalla Avatar is a ncei thing to have because it also lets you type special characters that insert your health, ammo, and even what you appear to be doing in a CTF match (defending attcking, carrying flag/capturing, etc) part of teamwork and skill is learning to do things like communication yourself. bind keys to things you say often in a game. these things shouldnt be automatic.
I slay thee in the name of Khaz Modan!
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Great, thanks for the thoughts, this is good. Ah but I wouldn't be me if I didn't pick apart your post, put you on the spot, and try and force you to defend your comments now would I? :D

But it's all in fun, and I hope you enjoy it too.

And please bear in mind, the main goal here, the reason I want to talk about it, is to try and make a better mod for UT2.
if yo dont like auto taunts turn them off in preferences.
Good advice. Thank you. :roll:
im not a "new" player and i find it adds competitive atmosphere

Ok, cool. This I understand. Some people feel the same, and that's why they exist in the 1st place I guess.
particularly since you hear them so much it doesnt mean anything
You lost me here however. If you mean that you hear the auto taunts so much, that they've lost all meaning, they I'm confused as to how they could add to a competitive atmosphere. I don't understand.

But I can tell you that's why I, and many others, do not have them turned on in preferences, as you so kindly suggested. Because it becomes too much, and loses all meaning. Therefore not adding to a competitive atmosphere.
bots are programed to do the things you mentioned. if players want to do those things they should do them themselves.
Actually, humans are 'programed' to do that too in UT. This is why I'm talking about it. If I turn them on, I get to say things automatically. My point is that if there is going to be automatic speaking for humans, I would prefer it not be taunts, which is more of a DM thing anyway, but actually something useful, and more focus put on the teamplay side of them, which is really where it's at isn't it? You know, the true meaning of gaming, the Path to The EverLuvin' Light, the reason we be.

And I don't disagree that humans should do their own thing. I'm actually pretty big into that. However, these auto taunts already exist. I could have suggested to remove them all, but I figure they are there for a reason, some people must like them. So, much like the dreaded 'flag-drop-on-grapple' in CUT, even though I don't like it, if it's to be, then I at least want to see it be the best it can be. If you're going to do something, do it right.
Valhalla Avatar is a ncei thing to have
Don't even want to get into that. I'm more interested in the future, and what we're going to do in UT2.

Although - I certainly hope that Epic, DE, CliffyB the Pimp, or whoever the heck needs to, has learned their lesson about online support for custom models and skins. If everything is groovy in their Ivory Towers, then things like VA will not be needed in UT2.

And they do learn, I just read that spawn protection is to be included, and to be configurable. Another lesson learned.
part of teamwork and skill is learning to do things like communication yourself. bind keys to things you say often in a game. these things shouldnt be automatic.
Again, I don't disagree, but they do exist, I'm guessin they will exist in UT2, and I'm assuming for this argument that they'll be similar to UT. If not, well then I had fun talking about it anyway, and if it gets the Chaos developers to put thought into our next mod, then it was worth it.

But just for fun, do you use any aliases or anything? Because it would be inconsistent to say players should be forced to learn this skill, and yet have a rocketjump bind, or a best weapon bind or something while saying it. Maybe not, just asking.

'Cause that would be kinda like poeple who I meet who say, "Really? Im a vegetarian too!" , and then proceed to tell me their favorite kind of fish. Those folks I tell 'get on back to Long John's you canrnivore, you smell like Lake Erie.'

Wow, now that's a novel of a post huh? But don't worry, I type pretty fast, and prolly did it in same time or less it took some to read it. flaggrules

( Actually, I didn't even do it all at once. Just kept coming back to it in between cleaning and changing diapers. Another reason I be. :) )

There are many areas to discuss when starting a mod huh? Guess it might be all pointless w/o seeing the game 1st, but hey, I have to appease myself while they make us wait like some..., well, while they make us wait.
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

Wow, im impressed. well let me go say a few things:
You lost me here however. If you mean that you hear the auto taunts so much, that they've lost all meaning, they I'm confused as to how they could add to a competitive atmosphere. I don't understand
well it does get a little overdone in deathmatch. but particularly in jailbreak, i like it, the death sequences are inviting places to taunt, and the team related sounds are purposely made louder, to be heard over taunts etc. so they dont get used too much, just the right amount for the atmosphere i was talking about =)
And they do learn, I just read that spawn protection is to be included, and to be configurable. Another lesson learned.
Yay =)

...like poeple who I meet who say, "Really? Im a vegetarian too!" , and then proceed to tell me their favorite kind of fish.
Thats commonly known as a "non-strict" vegitarian, meaning they dont eat red meat, but may ocasionally have fish or seafood. This is for people going the vegitarian route because of it being a low fat lower calorie alternitave i.e. dieting. strict vegitarians are usually against the methods that bring the meat to our table (mass slaughter of cows etc.), its against their reglion, or find the health risks in meat and fisht to turnr them off, or just because they feel like eating veggies over anything else =)

But just for fun, do you use any aliases or anything? Because it would be inconsistent to say players should be forced to learn this skill, and yet have a rocketjump bind, or a best weapon bind or something while saying it. Maybe not, just asking.
I'm Tahngarth[DK] in UT if thats what ur asking. and i dont keybind anything special other than teamsay stuff. just whats in prefs.
well, while they make us wait.
ya, every week, its out 2 more weks later... :!: :?: :!: :?:

That was fun... :lol:
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Sweet.

Thanks for playing along. Don't have time now to get into more of it, but thanks for the comments.

Anybody else wanna comment about auto taunts?
Jan-Pieter
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Jan-Pieter »

Yeah, I love autotaunts. Nuff said.
Kirin
Chaotic Wild Child

Post by Kirin »

Iike auto-taunts too.

However, I'd like it more if the same taunt doesn't play over and over. I gotta remember to make a voicepack with a large variety of taunts someday. :?
jb

Post by jb »

Yeap auto taunts are good. In the new SOFII game in MP mode, they are very usefull. For example if someone throws a grendage and its in your line of sight, your player yells grenade to let the rest of the team know. We can try to do something like this for UT2003
Jb
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

JB: Agreed!!!! i think thats an astounding Idea.
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

Maybe you guys could get permission to inculde some of the better voiceapacks out there with CUT. (such as the ones I use =) then people wouldnt have to download them :)
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

Quote:
well, while they make us wait.

ya, every week, its out 2 more weks later...
this seems to be the case for CUT too... the week before last it was "next weekish..." since u guys pretty much only post news on friday, i figured something would happen. its not a big deal at all, but it seemed from the last news that all you needed to do was test the umod, and that doesnt seem like a big job (i could be and probably am wrong). =) I'm a hyperactive collegebound teen on a caffiene high 8O , thats the only reason im so impatient :P

a different thing-
could you distribute CUT 1.0 to us people who will be running servers before you put up the download to give us a moment to set things up?
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

It's ready to go, the umods were finished.

Mass has already uploaded files, but we're waiting for the mirrors or something along those lines.

Won't be longnow. And yeah, I know how that sounds. I wait for mods too. :wink: There's a few that I like.

As far as admins getting it early, I don't have a problem with that, but we'll have to see what the others think. Maybe Jb can give you an Ok.