Double jumping in UT2

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Double jumping in UT2

Post by R.Flagg »

If you've read the news posts about UT2, there is mention of a 'double-jump' being available all the time. Jump once, then in mid-air, you can jump again.

Now, before you say that I haven't even played it yet, I'm only trying to get some talk going, and pass the time waiting.

But me, I have to say I do not like the sound of this at all. Just seems so unnatural, more like something you'd find in a mod, not in the game itself.

My logic is that with something like relics, or damage amp, sure, they aren't 'real' either, but at least there is some sort of 'game-world' logic in place. You picked up some special little magic thing, and now you're stronger, or faster, or whatever.

But to have these double jumps available at all times, well, it just seems wrong. Seems to me like you should have to have earned this ability somehow. As in a relic, or at least with adrenaline, as they are talking about being required to do these fancy new combo moves that are coming our way. ( Wonder what those will be like? )

And no, I'm not talking about trying to get them to change UT2. I'm talking about dif areas that just maybe Chaos should look at. Chaos is not, and has never been, just weapons and a grapple. We've delved into the game itself. Respawn protection is best example. The 'pros' left it out, so we corrected them. Armor shards another.

I just feel Chaos should touch whatever we feel needs touched, and nothing should be out of limits.

Whether we should touch it or not is why I'm making these type posts. I'm hoping to see what people think. Not just force my own thoughts on it.

Comments?
jb

Post by jb »

Mark,

I had a chance to play it at the UT mod summit. Its not as bad as its sounds. We can try it and see how you like it. Then go from there :)
Jb
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hehe, I do so look forward to trying it sir.

Just figured until then, we might as well talk about it.
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

this reminds me of the action in Super Smash Bros. ...
well anyways, i find that with people having keys to automatically do a hammer jump etc, the people who didnt have that done or didnt know how were at a disadvantage (because it is a little tricky to do on the keyboard). now granted, i bet u cant jump as high, its like two regular jumps together, but it sounds a lot easier to do and something u dont need to bind a key to combine operations for, making it fairer for all, even if it is a bit unrealisitc (fancy boots or something i guess...?)

all in all it sounds pretty cool to me, or at least diferent. this would allow more z action without all the xloc jumping and hammer jumping ppl do in UT.
I slay thee in the name of Khaz Modan!