ChaosUT Hosting Problems

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
defalc

ChaosUT Hosting Problems

Post by defalc »

My problem began in CUT Beta 4. GOTY Edition of CUT worked perfectly, except when hosting – the client, even with CUT installed, would not see the weapons (I assume my unrealtorunament.ini file was lacking the appropriate server lines – slightly odd considering it was installed of the GOTY Extras CD). When I upgraded to Beta4 of CUT. Whenever I tried to host a multiplayer game, be it online or on a LAN, I would crash to the desktop, with no errors. I was able to play practise sessions, but I couldn’t host multiplayer games. I uninstalled CUT but no luck – the same problem, except with a lengthy error message, which ended in ‘Unable to load ChaosUT something-or-rather’. Even after deleting every line in m User.ini and Unrealtournament.ini files relating to CUT, it wouldn’t work. I had to reinstall. I was hoping it might’ve been the state of my UT installation so with the clean install, I did a full install of CUT Beta4 (no upgrade). Again, same problem, resulting in a reinstall.

Then, with the release of Chaos UT 1.0, I was hoping I’d finally be able to play my favourite mod and still be able to host multiplayer games. I installed (full install) and before trying out CUT, I ran a multiplayer game with no bots, mutators and no custom game types – just a simple DM in Deck16][ to see if I could host. I ran into the problem again – crashed to desktop, although with an error message now (my, lucky me). I managed to get my UT multiplayer hosting to working again without reinstalling – I deleted every line relating to CUT in my ini files after uninstalling via the Setup, and managed to run a multiplayer game.

Why is this apparent multiplayer crashing issue caused only when I have ChaosUT installed? GOTYE worked fine (albeit without multiplayer server support; no server-package lines), however, I should think that the latest version of CUT should work with my copy of UT. I have version 436. It is a clean install of UT, with almost nothing in it. I can install other mods and mutators and host multiplayer just fine if I need to. Yet as soon as I install CUT (Beta4 or V1.0) it crashes, sometimes without an error message, sometimes with. The error message I got when hosting with 1.0 (after being promptly booted to the desktop of course) was as follows:

CRITICAL ERROR
General protection fault!

History: FmallocWindows::Free <- FmallocWindows::Realloc <- 002C0022 0 Farray:: <-Farray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FmallocWindows::Free <- APawn::execCheckValidSkinPackage <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (DeathMatchPlusDM-Deck16][.DeathMatchPlus0, Function Botpack.DeathMatchPlus.Login) <- Ulevel::SpawnPlayerActor <- MatchViewportsToActors <- (DM-Deck16][.unr) <- ClientInit <- UGameEngine::Loadmap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- Mainloop

Surely there’s someway to fix this? I want to be able to host multiplayer games as well as play ChaosUT (it being my favourite mod for UT and CUT2003 being one of the bigger draws for UT2003 for me). Can ANYONE help me with this?
jb

Post by jb »

defalc.

sorry your having issues and I hate to say it, this is the first time I have heard about this. Do you have both BP 1 and 4 installed? Can you go ahead and send me your UnrealTournament.log file the next time it crashes (email to jb@planetunreal.com ). Thanks.
Jb
defalc

Post by defalc »

I have UT GOTYE (so Bonus Pack 1 is installed already), and I have Bonus Pack 4 installed also.

I uninstalled CUT and had to delete all the lines so it doesn't crash now, but I can reinstall it and get the log file for you.

Thanks tonnes. :) Hopefully I can get it working soon.
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Did you ever get the severpackage lines into the INI?
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

you need to run the Chaos server setup mod to add all the appropriate lines of CUT stuff to ur ini.
I slay thee in the name of Khaz Modan!
defalc

Post by defalc »

I did (for Beta4 and 1.0), but I assumed it'd be installed by default in GOTYE cause there was no server setup file on the GOTY CD's
jb

Post by jb »

defalc,

I really need to see that log file to get a better understanding of whats going on. It will be in your Unrealtournament/system dir called

Unrealtournament.log

Also if there is a server.log file send that too.
Jb
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Can't help you with the crash, but Jb's on the case. Though I can give you some info on the GOTYE thing.
"albeit without multiplayer server support; no server-package lines" - " I assumed it'd be installed by default in GOTYE "
Nope, the lines were not installed by default. And when I understood why, I agreed. But, Chaos has of course always had multiplayer support.

The reason they weren't is because any server package listed will have to be downloaded by clients, whether you're running it at the time or not. If it's listed as a server package, it will be forced on the clients.

Which means everybody running a regular old UT server, (or at least those not familiar with editing the ini) would be forcing clients to d/l Chaos, and whatever other mods were on there.

So that's why. Because most people don't run servers. And because most servers aren't Chaos. But, help for that little sityation is, and has been, available on the web site and on the forums.

So.., don't be a stranger next time somthin's up! :wink:

We'll either set you straight or give you so much hot air and double talk you'll think it's actually caused by Major League Baseball trying to spy on you thru your PC, and not our happy little mod.
defalc

Post by defalc »

jb wrote:defalc,

I really need to see that log file to get a better understanding of whats going on. It will be in your Unrealtournament/system dir called

Unrealtournament.log

Also if there is a server.log file send that too.
That mean I have to reinstall CUT again? I'll do it, it'll just take me time to fix it up again after.
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

what do sending log files have to do with reinstalling UT? just go to your system dir and attach the unrealtournament log to an email and send it his way. no reinstalling needed.... =|
I slay thee in the name of Khaz Modan!
jb

Post by jb »

No re-installing should not be needed.
Jb
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I uninstalled CUT
He means because he already uninstalled it.

And yes, in order for Jb to atttempt to help you, he needs you to send him the log file right after this problem happens.

The log file is rewritten with every game, so sending now would not help. Must grab it and send after the crash.