New Chaos vehicle suggestions and discussion

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

WH00T wrote:Ahh, but a smaller vehicle means it's harder to ram people, penfold.
That's the whole point. If it's extremely fast, that means it'd be easier to catch people off guard and therefore more likely to hit them. If you made something just like the scorpion only twice as fast, it'd be way to easy to rack up the kills. So you need to force balance in and have it so that the bike is tiny, the size of a current day sports bike. And I think ramming people should cause damage to the bike or destroy it at high speeds (while still damaging the ramee, that is). Oh, and it should be capable of catching major air. I'm talking Motocross Madness calibur air here. Maybe have jump be a hydrolic boost on the wheels (though really just the same function as jump in the manta, but to a much slighter degree) so that if timed well just before jumping, major air is acheived.

I've already indicated what secondary fire would do. It would allow the motorcycle to turn sharply, as you'd need to have it with a very large turn radius for a default because it's such a high speed vehicle. Being able to use a hand weapon would probably be a headache. None of the current vehicles use a hand weapon, and I don't want to ask so much of a vehicle that it will never be made. I'm trying to keep my suggestions as simple as possible.
WH00T

Post by WH00T »

That's the whole point. If it's extremely fast, that means it'd be easier to catch people off guard and therefore more likely to hit them. If you made something just like the scorpion only twice as fast, it'd be way to easy to rack up the kills. So you need to force balance in and have it so that the bike is tiny, the size of a current day sports bike.
Well duh, of course it'd be the size of a modern day sportsbike. What were you thinking of, a 4-foot wide thing? :roll: Anyway, I just don't think hoverbikes would be a problem. The reasons that hoverbikes would never create a mower city situation is 1. their small frame, 2. their utter lack of traction, and 3. the bike's light weight, meaning you would have to be at nearly full speed to score a kill.
Oh, and it should be capable of catching major air. I'm talking Motocross Madness calibur air here. Maybe have jump be a hydrolic boost on the wheels (though really just the same function as jump in the manta, but to a much slighter degree) so that if timed well just before jumping, major air is acheived.
Yeah, cool idea, I really like it, BUT it shouldn't be the same as the Manta's jump. Just think how dumb it would look to be standing there completely stopped and do a jump. or doing a jump on flat ground. ugh. (sick) It would look much better to have some kind of wheelie animation, and only go into the air if you ramped off somthing.
I can assure you that I am totally and completely sane.
And so is WH00t.
So stop yelling at me.
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

-Penfold- wrote:
I've already indicated what secondary fire would do. It would allow the motorcycle to turn sharply, as you'd need to have it with a very large turn radius for a default because it's such a high speed vehicle. Being able to use a hand weapon would probably be a headache.
Meh , I hate to interrupt your argument , but if you hit jump OR crouch while turining the Scorpion or Hellbender , you do a sharp turn , so putting it on secondary would be pointless when people are used to using jump or crouch.
Also , we are already planning to have the Hoverboard use whatever weapon you're holding , so it wouldnt be much if a stretch.

Also I'd like to take something completely out of context and state that
Being able to use a hand weapon would probably be a headache. None of the current vehicles use a hand weapon, and I don't want to ask so much of a vehicle that it will never be made. I'm trying to keep my suggestions as simple as possible.
combined with
Hmm... It'd probably be easier to increase the draw scale of the player and of the weapon

is completely unnessecary. some of our Best functions and ideas have been Obscenely hard to figure , such as Melee . but without those features , we wouldnt be where we are today. Dont limit your ideas under the assumption that it would be too hard for us to do a model , or code a feature. trust us , if we were gonna do a mech , we certainly would have the decency to use a model , instead of a funky big player. and if we were gonna do a Motorcycle , please dont think we would limit its weaoons just because it was proposed to do something none of the other vehicles could do.

thats not to say we are omnipotent. There just may be something that we cant do , but thats not to say we wouldnt put our blood sweat and tears into trying to create it in the best way we could if we thought the Idea was worthwhile, and even then , we'd find a convincing substitute nonetheless.

Dont limit your ideas with barriers you set for us in your mind :D , it tends to make others limit their ideas and then we have lots of second rate Ideas. in the words of the immortal (insert inspirational speaker here) Let your mind Free and your imaginations soar!!!

ok I'm done , sorry I picked on you there Penfold , but the statement wasnt directed only to you , but at several other people around here who dont seem to think chaos is up to the challenge!!!

This post was written solely by Pepito without the consent or consultation of Any other members of the ChaosUT2 team in an , and thus, if any members of the forum community find it offensive in any way shape , or form , please hold Pepito and responsible
Last edited by Zachariah on Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

The best way to balance against vehicle mowing is by making the effect of a collision more apparent to a smaller vehicle. For instance, if we take that smaller vehicles are naturally faster due to less mass, we can assume that the reduced mass also lowers the vehicle's crash resistance, this can then be further amplified by the increased speed potential. Therefore, a fast, small vehicle, when ramming someone at full speed, should result in a rather spectacular crash. A small hoverbike, when hitting someone, should kill the person it hits, but be thrown into the air, maybe spinning (we let the physics engine work this out), and the person flies off the bike. The bike naturally gets damaged and may be destroyed when it lands, or it may land on the dismounted rider (would be fun to watch you have to admit).

Some of it has to depend on how the vehicle collides as well. A head-on collision would likely cause the most damage to a vehicle. If the vehicle lands on someone, it should take virtually no damage. Either way, it will kill the victim.

We have discussed a similar concept in developing the hoverboard. One idea is to allow the hoverboard to kill people only if the bottom of the board hits them. Otherwise, it results in a wreck, causing the board to crash and the boarder gets thrown from the thing. I'm not saying we will use this system, but it was considered.
ChaosJester

Bike

Post by ChaosJester »

If small vehicle + high speed = big crash, can the bike please have an ability to fire primary of last weap held other than super for a secondary, and somewhat of an ability to stay straight when firing even w/ look to side so you don't have to fire in direction of travel? <whine>I know this is heretical but no weaps would be kind of cheating us...</whine>
Jingle, jingle, boom. Oops, you're dead.
That sucks cause I wanted to play....
But let the show go on!
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

Pepito wrote:Meh , I hate to interrupt your argument , but if you hit jump OR crouch while turining the Scorpion or Hellbender , you do a sharp turn , so putting it on secondary would be pointless...
Ah, I was unaware of that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Right clicking could be for a wheely to avoid whiping out on some terrain (like in excitebike) and maybe the turbo could be a rocket or jet boost instead of nitrus, meaning you could hit it in midair to get more air. 8O That'd be pretty sweet. Then jump could still be a slight hydrolic push on the shocks to give you more air if timed just right during a jump.
Isotope

Post by Isotope »

or maybe it could create a downwards shockwave, allowing for more propulsion if on the ground... this may also be a fun way to smash people, without touching them.
AKA: Enamel_32
vernies_garden

Post by vernies_garden »

idea for grapling hook, could you close line someone on the hover board?
plus how about a "flying fortress" like an airbourne leviathan. that for a primary fire is a ion painter for a redemer bomb and secondary drops it. possibly make it prone to arial attacks such as the raptor.
"...and I know we all can't stay here forever, so I'll write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it..." ~ Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

well,i think that about the grapling hook it should slow down vehicles and people should be able to grapple enemy vehicles(Avrail+Grapple+Raptor)

btw will PR1 have vehicles?
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

TKATK wrote:btw will PR1 have vehicles?
it MIGHT , if we do include a vehicle by PR1 , the vehicle will be the Hoverboard, and thats only if we finish it by the time we finish wrapping up the Turrets / mug / cpp. otherwise , the Hoverboard takes the backseat while the other weapons/features that we have already been working on get sorted out.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

yay,that means CUT2k4:E will come out this year :P
Deapblade

Post by Deapblade »

I had that some sord of cargoship idea also in my head.
I think it is really to difficult to make.

How about a hoverbike with blades and that chaos laser cannon (don't know the name right now).
jb

Post by jb »

That bike idea sounds really cool not shure how well that and the hoverboard would play together.

I would like to see an couple of new flying veheciles. One thats a 2 seater. One of the dev had a nice write up on it..maybe they will post it here...

And I would love to see a big Cargo C-130 like plane. Or a big Helo.
Jb
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

jb wrote: And I would love to see a big Cargo C-130 like plane. Or a big Helo.
Too much BF:V JB. too much BF:V . . .
jb

Post by jb »

Pepito wrote:Too much BF:V JB. too much BF:V . . .
Never. Talk to neo about this..he has my back :)
Jb