Challenge 4 Choas: Cooperative Weapons/Cooperative Vehicles

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
vernies_garden

Challenge 4 Choas: Cooperative Weapons/Cooperative Vehicles

Post by vernies_garden »

wouldn't it be cool to have weapons that take two people to use? like a and ion painter/redemer where if some one is aiming the ion painter at something and someone else fires a redmemer it goes to that target. or possibly vehicles that work kinda like voltron and create combos :D maybe have that cool transformers ability and turn into mechs. i'm prolly making crazy impossible coding ideas but wouldnt it be crazy awesome go nuts fun?
"...and I know we all can't stay here forever, so I'll write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it..." ~ Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

i wont post what i think about those but my thoughts are negative,also

1.its chaos not choas
vernies_garden

Post by vernies_garden »

sorry about the spelling, a bit of dyslexia. and i didn't catch it in time. but why would that be a bad idea? it would bring elements that no one has put out there. and promote team play, i know it would be difficult to set up do to the crazy nature of some of the game play but in assult it wouldn't be to harsh. nor even creating a gametype all it's own
"...and I know we all can't stay here forever, so I'll write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it..." ~ Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)
chamalkan

Post by chamalkan »

that's a thought I had a few times lately. a team based weapon like the LINK gun. I came up with a modified BIO launcher:
you know that you can charge up the blob so it's bigger and spit's out smaller blobs. Did you also know that you can fire primary fire into the bog blob to make it an even bigger blob?
Now imagine three people shooting into one blob and making it bigger and last longer. The little blobs would come out for half a minute or so: stick it to the seeling and every enemy that passes by has a chance to get hit.
chamalkan

Post by chamalkan »

edit:

STUPID DOUBLE POST

edit 2:

missed the delete buton.
I'm too much used to boards that don't have one
Last edited by chamalkan on Tue May 25, 2004 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

1.it would not be possible to code bots to do it imo
2.it would be impossible to do on public servers,on thoose none even knows what teamplay means
3.it would be a bit annoying to not be able to use a wep alone properly
Last edited by TKATK on Tue May 25, 2004 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Post by jb »

Yea there are some issues with a two person weapon. Still may be fun :)
Jb
vernies_garden

Post by vernies_garden »

okay, well hand weapons aside, how about cooperative vehicles? no can tell me the wouldnt enjoy going voltron! or just having the vehicles morph like how the levi's alt fire transforms, but intsead of just an alt fire the vehicle turns into a mech

i'd like to see that bio gun too chamalkan
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

isnt the bender one already?
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

From a mapper's perspective, I had a thought towards a future level design, where there are four "turrets" on this big ship. Normally, the turrets work like regular energy turrets, but if players get into all 4 turrets and use the link mode into the same spot, about midway between all four, it channels the beam into a huge blast that looks like an ion blast, but is about 10 times larger, and hits the enemy base (which is another ship), potentially killing every enemy inside. I'm not sure how feasible it is, but I know that the radius of the ion blast can be adjusted in the properties of the ion cannon actor (so you can basically make an uber-ion cannon that takes out the whole map if you want). I believe it could be possible to do something like this using advanced AI scripts, and possibly some complex trigger schemes. But that's a mapping thing, so not really what you had in mind.
Hedge-o-Matic

Post by Hedge-o-Matic »

vernies_garden wrote:okay, well hand weapons aside, how about cooperative vehicles? no can tell me the wouldnt enjoy going voltron! or just having the vehicles morph like how the levi's alt fire transforms, but intsead of just an alt fire the vehicle turns into a mech

i'd like to see that bio gun too chamalkan
Actually, I've started designing just such a system for "combining" vehicles. But the problem lies in getting two people to do something together. I assume since getting a driver and gunner to work together is impossible, more detailed cooperation is also a pipe dream.
vernies_garden

Post by vernies_garden »

not necessarily a pipe dream, just got gotta make it worth it, if you have a driver and a gunner its really hard to gun when you are bouncing around, but if you make it more powerful to join than just maning your own tank people would dig it
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

the highest level of teamwork ive seen

When im sniping raptors/players and blasting scorpions away some ass decides to hop in and drive into the water(ending my rampage,killing me)
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

If you play in serious games, or clan matches, especially those at public events, like the ones that I run periodically, you can often achieve a much higher level of team coordination that you would in most typical online games. In these situations, gameplay features that support extended coordination will really shine, and do indeed make the game much more entertaining.

For instance, you could develop a vehicle, where the gunner has, say, a rocket launcher, but it is a dumbfire rocket launcher. The pilot has no weapons, but as he drives he can designate targets, which are fed to the rocket launcher, and then if the gunner aims at those targets, they will auto-lock, and when he fires the rockets will chase the target, making the weapon much more powerful, but relying on both gunner and driver to be fully effective. Even more complex and interesting combinations are possible.
vernies_garden

Post by vernies_garden »

For instance, you could develop a vehicle, where the gunner has, say, a rocket launcher, but it is a dumbfire rocket launcher. The pilot has no weapons, but as he drives he can designate targets, which are fed to the rocket launcher, and then if the gunner aims at those targets, they will auto-lock, and when he fires the rockets will chase the target, making the weapon much more powerful, but relying on both gunner and driver to be fully effective. Even more complex and interesting combinations are possible.

THANKYOU! that is the kinda idea's i was thinking, yea the mech idea is diff but still that idea kills, it would be a cool thing for say the chaos mode? but there are tons of ideas that could make those team play vehicles more that practical, and more desirable. most people play the hack-n-slash unreal and i think miss out on the strategy that killing can be.