The "Dagger Whorage" needs to stop...

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Imo polearms would still be unbalanced becouse in the pullback the blade would still touch the player,ALSO people would consider a weapons part doing no damage a bug

sword+shield does sound nice tho
I know, but poll arms would still be cool as hell, maybe just a bo staff *sigh*

But yeah i would definatly enjoy a short sword and sheild, Who knows maybe the block key would be more succesful at blocking than atacking and trying to hit there weapon. Sheild to one sideand like a single dager in the other hand (they are plenty long enouph to be a short sword) or a saber, its short and cool lookin

oo and sense it would be the only weapon were left and right sides would be signifigantly different, so left atack could be a sheild bash (well defended but weak damage) and right atack could be a sword slash right.
-The Cold One
|GoD|Plaguelord|LDR|

Post by |GoD|Plaguelord|LDR| »

I've been pushing to get polearms into the game for awhile now *sigh* but I believe this is the 1st time a sword/shield combo has been brought up... and I would like to see this in-game also. Although I would rather see bo staffs, scyths and spears. I also wouldn't doubt that many people of the commuity would like to see chain weapons, but don't get any ideas... it just doesn't seem do-able with the current code which IMO sucks :(... but hey, whatcha' gonna do?
|GoD| clan co-leader
SK Online Community Coordinator
Visit the Temple of the |GoD|s
Kaboodles

Post by Kaboodles »

How about making it so that the polearm weapons do more damage if you hit with the blade and much less if you hit with the pole? Now shot placement and distancing would be very important.
High Council member of The Generals
Hedge-o-Matic

Post by Hedge-o-Matic »

Somehow, I seem to remember, when the 2k3 version was first released, people complaining about how useless the daggers were. I tend to like using the very difficult weapons, for some reason, and so I've always gravitated toward the daggers. But it's difficult to say if my success with them is through my own skill (due to practice), or some innate superiority of the weapon. According to your theory, any user of daggers wins merely because the daggers are superior. Their skills don't factor in at all.

Still, I can't see how any "noob" (God, I hate that term) can suddenly go all Musashi on your ass simply because they changed weapons. Isn't it more likely that you, as an individual, are particularly bad versus the specific strengths of the daggers? That seems more likely, I think, or the daggers would be hands down the ultimate weapon, and this fact would have been caught in playtesting, or a previous version.
atro city

Post by atro city »

ZCaliber wrote:Well, I prefer the Katana and Mace myself.

Trying different weapons there seems to be 3 weapons that are pretty easy to win with: Axe, War Hammer, Daggers.

I'm not saying that all three of these are unbalanced, in fact, I haven't used the Warhammer or Axe that much (I just hear people whine about 'em being n00b weapons... Thus I shy away from them)

All I knows is that when I use Daggers, I suddenly start killing things much easier than with the Katana or Mace. =\
Heh...whoever says the hammer is a "n00b weapon" is a fool. Excluding the side-to-side swipe in light stance,(which I don't even use anyway) the hammer is the hardest weapon to efficiently spam, because the attacks focus all the power on one point.(like the Bastard Sword stab move) Thus, you must actually be skilled in order to hit someone with it.

That aside, the only beef I have with daggers is that they block so much. Seems half the hits you get on a dagger user are blocked, even if he/she's not attacking.

That's my two cents.

>_>
Phantasma

Post by Phantasma »

Anyone ever took the time to see how amazingly effect the heavy swing of the Warhammer is? I know its hard to notice since the move looks a little goofy but if you hit someone with the start of it and depending on where they were standing before they got hit they'll get dragged on the other side of you and get hit by the spinning motion. Which usually leads to a heashot or insane damage. So far I am the only one I seen use it this way.
Also I use the heavy Stance version of the Warhammer as if it was a Single Axe and get the same results.

About the katana it hands down is the deadliest weapon. How would I know? Well I had max HP and Sheild and I died from one attack while under the effect of "speed hack" lag.

An About Daggers I love them to death but I don't see how there so cheap, I actually own daggers in real life and they are as effective in the game as they should be. You just have a hard time dealing with dagger users. I personally never met a dagger user I couldn't beat, most think its cute to lunge at you. So just treat that guy like a bull and sidestep him and stab him. Never take a Dagger user head on that lunge can come at a moments notice.
Kaze

Post by Kaze »

Phantasma wrote:Anyone ever took the time to see how amazingly effect the heavy swing of the Warhammer is? I know its hard to notice since the move looks a little goofy but if you hit someone with the start of it and depending on where they were standing before they got hit they'll get dragged on the other side of you and get hit by the spinning motion. Which usually leads to a heashot or insane damage. So far I am the only one I seen use it this way.
Also I use the heavy Stance version of the Warhammer as if it was a Single Axe and get the same results.

About the katana it hands down is the deadliest weapon. How would I know? Well I had max HP and Sheild and I died from one attack while under the effect of "speed hack" lag.

An About Daggers I love them to death but I don't see how there so cheap, I actually own daggers in real life and they are as effective in the game as they should be. You just have a hard time dealing with dagger users. I personally never met a dagger user I couldn't beat, most think its cute to lunge at you. So just treat that guy like a bull and sidestep him and stab him. Never take a Dagger user head on that lunge can come at a moments notice.
Yes we all know how deadly the katana is against speedhacked opponenents. It trule is a weapon to be feared! :? The chance you have of actually hitting a moving person with the katana...
Kaboodles

Post by Kaboodles »

Dagger's attack should be faster, or have multiple swings, or both. It just seems silly that they move so slowly like that. Daggers are, IMO, supposed to be a hit-and-run, war of attrition kinda deal, not "kill you in one attack because my daggers move so slowly and hit you multiple times"
High Council member of The Generals
Hedge-o-Matic

Post by Hedge-o-Matic »

Kaboodles_The_Assassin wrote:Dagger's attack should be faster, or have multiple swings, or both. It just seems silly that they move so slowly like that. Daggers are, IMO, supposed to be a hit-and-run, war of attrition kinda deal, not "kill you in one attack because my daggers move so slowly and hit you multiple times"
Good point. I agree with this.
Phantasma

Post by Phantasma »

I'd like to see claws that would be to the daggers as the templar is to the bastard sword. Claws and Daggers would have pretty close to the same animations but have somewhat longer reach and do less damage like the templar.