UT2004 sys specs

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
Lightning{TCA}

UT2004 sys specs

Post by Lightning{TCA} »

Hey all !!

I come from Q2 chaos years back. Please be gentle !!

I downloaded the demo for UT2004 and it seems to work ok on my machine. I also checked the website and it says P3 OR ..................... OR .................. (recommended 1.5 GH)

Now my question is this ...... I have a P3 450 MH and the demo seems to run fine on my system. I have a Geoforce2 64mb and lots of RAM. How well will UT 2004 run on my machine. There were a bunch of OR's on the sys specs and I'm not sure if they are saying that the 1.5 GH only applied to the Athlon or not.

I will be upgrading at some point in the new year but for now I need to make due with the machine I have.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Light :)
jb

Post by jb »

Lightning{TCA},

good to see you around. There is no doubt about it that UT2k4 is much more demanding on your PC than Q2 was. The specs you had are simular to what R.Flagg had. He was able to play UT2k3/4 but it took him awhile to load up maps, he had to run everything in the lowest detial possible, ect. But it worked. Given the specs you have its a tough call. I am sure you can play it but not sure what type of experince you will have in doing so. Once you do get an upgrade it will run much much better. I guess base it off how good/bad the demo ran for you and expect the retail game to run in a simular manner....good luck and keep us posted on what you do!!
Jb
ChaosJester

Post by ChaosJester »

I have a similar system. Expect to run about 20-30fps at best. It will be playable, just realize there won't be that blisterinlgy fast framerate. I play large maps OK, just be aware that when the Veng goes off in a close area yor fps will be <1 a sec. there will be occasional stuttering, but it isn't as bad as those with the best of everything make it out to be.
Jingle, jingle, boom. Oops, you're dead.
That sucks cause I wanted to play....
But let the show go on!
jb

Post by jb »

ChaosJester wrote:just be aware that when the Veng goes off in a close area yor fps will be <1 a sec. there will be occasional stuttering, but it isn't as bad as those with the best of everything make it out to be.

Just and a side note. You now have the option to have the Sprit effect or the exposion effect for the Veng. So maybe switch to the other to save FPS? Thanks for the info CJ!!!!
Jb
ChaosJester

Post by ChaosJester »

jb wrote:Just and a side note. You now have the option to have the Sprit effect or the exposion effect for the Veng. So maybe switch to the other to save FPS? Thanks for the info CJ!!!!
FPS hit is about equal for both.
But let the show go on!
Rythmix

Post by Rythmix »

for UT2k3, I had 750MHz Proc, 384MB SD RAM, and 64MB vid card... ran most smaller maps pretty clean. ONS was the only killer with the hUUUUGE maps there. should have no problem playing chaos tho... but with the resolution turned down.
Rythm is Gonna Get Ya!
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

LIGHT!!!!!!! HOLY S! Whats up? How have you been?
The Dark Side of Chaos.
ChaosJester

Post by ChaosJester »

PS I use 1024x768 in 16 color mode so if you run in 800x600, you might get a better Fps.
But let the show go on!
Lightning{TCA}

Post by Lightning{TCA} »

Thanks for your replies :)
I just like to play to have fun and I`m generally not hung up on speed. I just don`t want it to choke out.

The demo runs very smooth and doesn`t give me any problems at all. Im going to install it this weekend and see how it runs :)

Thanks again for your help.

Hey LoQtus ............. how are ya.
I wrote a little note in the q2 chaos section. I`m moving my icq people to msn if you want to add your account I can drop you a line

Deathstorm

Post by Deathstorm »

I have a AMD 1 Ghrtz, 512 megs of ram, onboard sound, & Geforce2 Mx400 with 64megs onboard ram. It plays fine, ofcourse there are hardly any servers.
    Lightning{TCA}

Post by Lightning{TCA} »

Hey all :)

Thanks for your input. I thought I would try Chaos on my machine because regular UT2004 works great.

HMMMM ............ choke, sputter, frame by frame, loud noise from computer tower, slow M O T I O N and ................ I'm dead lol. Well lets try another server ...................... I tried the main Chaos UT server and because the map doesn't load very fast and my computer is trying to play catch up, I sometimes would get kicked for idling, same when I die, by the time my computer stops the frame by frame lock up, I try to respawn and the server thinks I'm idling :( when I'm actually choking out. I tried playing in my own game with 2 bots. That is all that my machine can really handle. Any more than that and I can't even see :(

It does the same in reg UT2004 when loading maps and there is a delay as to when I actually get to join the game, however I'm not locking up as much as I do in Chaos when I die.

Ok ............ I think I'll be waiting till after X-mas and after my upgrade :) I can't wait to actually play and be a horrible player all on my own without my computer to blame lol. For now I am playing reg UT2004 and getting used to the movement of the character (i have to learn how to walk all over again lol) People are shocked to hear that I never strafed before even when I played Q2Chaos. I only used my up arrow key to walk forward, mouse for direction and my belt to fly, grapple to save me from being killed. Seemed to work well at the time however for UT I am a sitting duck walking in a straight line lol. I need to learn how to walk sideways, backwards and dodge and strafe !! And now I need to learn how to drive!!

I will see you all soon on the Chaos servers, when my new computer gets put together :)

jb

Post by jb »

Doh,

then we will await your return after the first then!
    Jb