Public Server --- UP Running PR3.76 :)

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Caps in HCTF can come fast sometimes. Please consider either bumping cap limit way up, or just setting it to 0 and let games end on time limit. For example, I enjoy a cap limit 0, and a time limit 20 (of course players can still always end a map anytime they want just by voting).

Also, since there's not that many vctf maps on there, if you don't mind, please turn off (or set to 0 I guess), that one feature that makes it so you can't play the same map again right away I think it's called..'repeat limit' or something like that.

Thanks Joe.
jb

Post by jb »

Ok,

done and done... if I did it correctly it should be set to 0 cap limit in HyperCTF and Repetes on the map voting set to 0 so you can vote the same map... Ensure timer was set to 20 min on map time so you should be set... enjoy and thanks!
Jb
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

No more? :cry:
High Council member of The Generals
genman
The Rail Man

Post by genman »

Has the server been retired.... ?
jb

Post by jb »

genman1{HHR} wrote:Has the server been retired.... ?
GRRR,

Forgot to ask my brother. I will ask him on the status. Probably just got hung up. Sorry!
Jb
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

Ahh I often feel like doing some hyperctf or KOTH on the official server but find that I can't get in. Could you either... eliminate the custom maps or somehow set up a redirect? If you need webspace for a redirect I have some, I'm sure Beyond will give you too. :wink:
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Yes redirects are cool.

But it's also true that these are popular maps that are easily found. Probably even in a thread here somewhere. It's not a big deal to download them beforehand, which is even better than redirect.
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

Meh R.Flagg... that is such a wrong answer. :(
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well... welcome back Gen.

I've agreed redirects are nice to have, and I've agreed there's nothing wrong with adding one on Jb's Chaos server. How is that wrong? :wink:

Where I think I annoy you is how I like to point out that anyone who really wanted to play somewhere online can put 5 seconds of effort into doing so.

These popular maps can usually be found on Google really, really fast. Or by searching this very forum (ie: http://forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtopic.php?t=5878).

Adding a redirect - acceptable request.

Removing custom maps because someone is too lazy to Google for 5 seconds - not an acceptable request.

It's nice to see you back though. Hope you'll join us in UT3.
Kaboodles

Post by Kaboodles »

Flagg.

It would also be irritating to players who enter your server on a non-custom map, and then have it switched to a that he doesn't custom map. A redirect would make things go much more smoothly in such events.

It might also turn off some people to the server if they have to download custom content at slow speeds while slowing down the game for people already on. Redirect is a good idea.

Also I think Sun replied the way he did because he interpreted your answer as "no we will not do redirect because downloading from a site is better".
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Yes, I understand. ( but... but... of course in your 2nd example, the admin should know better. If your server can't handle allowing downloads, don't do it :P see how I just have to keep nit picking this. just can't let things go - sigh)
Also I think Sun replied the way he did because he interpreted your answer as "no we will not do redirect because downloading from a site is better".
It's Ok. Gen has been a big supporter of Chaos for a relatively long time. He's allowed to have issues with me from time to time. And I misread posts sometimes too. But just like Pooh and Piglet, we've been 'round this tree before.

Bottom line for me is that quality custom maps are required, and redirects have always been preferred. However..., even if each player is aked to download each individual smesh one at a time from some pirate 56k feed from the far side of China - I'm simply not playing stock maps for 3 or 4 years straight.
genman
The Rail Man

Post by genman »

These popular maps can usually be found on Google really, really fast. Or by searching this very forum (ie: http://forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtopic.php?t=5878)
Flaggs,

How about making the above thread a Sticky, that way any players having problem getting on the server due to the custom maps don't have to search through a couple pages of threads to find them.

Also you may want to add this map link to your thread, these maps are also running on the server.

http://geeks.beyondunreal.com/ut2004/bonuspacks.php
jb

Post by jb »

Thanks for the tip genman1! How have you been?
Jb
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

It's a sticky now genman. And I added more links to it.

Let us know if you decide you wanna beta test for CUT3.
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to say there shouldn't be any custom maps, I was just asking for a redirect. If it's already on, then great. Otherwise please do it as custom maps+no redirect simply does not work.

No server can handle download enabled R.Flagg, the CUT pub most certainly can't.

I'll always be a CUT2 and overall CUT supporter R.Flagg, and probably a CUT3 one when the melee comes out! It's not a bribe, really!