Chameleo and the Grappling Hook!!!

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
GB

Post by GB »

One question, how would you set up light 'actors' or are you just referring to a group of lights in a row and then duplicating them and setting each group's preferences individually?
Yeah, i basically meant just bunging rows of lights and then setting each to whatever you need. Its basically what i do on most of my maps, as sunlighting tends to do odd things to static meshes at times. im sorry if i made this sound more complicated than it is! :P

Also, merry xmas/Kwanzaa/satanic rising etc to all. Have a good new year peeps.
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
Chameleo

Post by Chameleo »

No worries... sometimes it helps to confirm context... you know, actors, pawns, children, parents etc. We are fli-flopping between lighting terrain and BSP. Creating the shadow/light map should work for both (right?). Somehow the terrain maps look too realistic and not cartoony enough. We are taking a break until Jan. 2/3 and our artist will look at creating some sceanic set pieces.

Cheers,

Dave
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
GB

Post by GB »

Chameleo wrote: Creating the shadow/light map should work for both (right?).
Er, no - the lightmap will only work on the terrain as it is used like a mask over all the terrain layers. it will however, maintain shadow wherever there used to some - eg if i removed the statics from the example map, there shadows would still be present on the terrain.

Use of light actors will allow more control and you can sort of bypass this lack of function on BSP. An alternative would be to make specific shadow BSP textures for each bit of BSP you want to have shadow etc = tedious.

[The easiest way to do that would be to look at where the shadows fall when calculated in the editor, and then manually make textures that approximate this. I dont recommend this however, as it will be tedious and rather more difficult than simply using light actors. Tbh, ayone will even limited experience of the editor can usually make much more convincing light effects using the actors than by using specific textures applied to BSP and static meshes]

If you are after extremely simple shadows, how about simply painting them on using a new terrain texture layer? select a dark texture you want to use as shadow. I suggest pre-making one based upon the texture already under where the shadow needs to go. Then, paint it on (not too intense) where you want the shadow. You should be able to make simple blob shapes using this pretty easy, and using a modified base texture that matches the terrain gives a more pleasing effect than a simple plain dark brown/black texture. (I have used this on my duel map boneyard under the shadows of the carcasses and stone pillar using a darker coloured sand texture).

Without seeing more screenshots and perhaps a sort of artist impression of what you are after i cant really think of any more suggestions just now. I have to apoligeise as i must start to revise for my exams, so i wont be as quick to answer any further questions after xmas. Hopefully you can understand what i mean above^ :)
Romulus777
Location: in front of my computer waiting for 5 mods to download at once

Post by Romulus777 »

that's a simple texture change? woah. Yeah, Chameleo I'd use that. It works really well.
proxys rule cuz they r funny a proud mac user

Code: Select all

All ur base r blong to us
Viva the Revalution

CLICK HERE! (I need 20+ clicks to win)
GB

Post by GB »

Romulus777 wrote:that's a simple texture change? woah. Yeah, Chameleo I'd use that. It works really well.
whats a simpel texture change? im confused.
Romulus777

Post by Romulus777 »

it's nothing, misunderstood it. that's all

Viva the Revalution

Chameleo

BETA Anyone?

Post by Chameleo »

Hey guys... (and girls?) Just wondering if anyone would be interested in playing through a beta level to help us test some of our metrics and layouts before we go final?!?

I could post a link to our game package (zipped 70meg or so) and by the end of the week give us some feedback?

Cheers everyone,

Dave
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
jb

Post by jb »

If you post it they will play..... or some other reference like that :)

But yea I am sure some others here besides me would love to play it! I still have PC issues so maybe a bit longer for me...
Jb
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

Ah good... I am wondering how it plays
well just post it, you'll get feedback :)
Be excessive.
Romulus777

Post by Romulus777 »

most of us will play, the only reason we wouldn't add another mod (or map) is if we don't have UT (like myself at the moment :cry: ) we don't have enough room to download it (a very sad and unlikely event) or uh...don't want to fear the problems that arrive on a Mac.

Viva the Revalution