Chameleo and the Grappling Hook!!!

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
Chameleo

Chameleo and the Grappling Hook!!!

Post by Chameleo »

Hey guys, just wanted to post and thank you for your support regarding the use of the grappling hook within our game. We are planning on modding the hook to work as a tongue for our chameleon character, Chameleo! This will be a 2D/3D side scrolling platerformer using the Unreal 2004 engine.

We want to give the team full credit for any and all help, so if you guys could include an email to me with your full names and any contact info that you want to include (titles, emails etc.). We will be using this game as a promotional piece that is the culmination of our year long program in Game Design at the Vancouver Film School.

We are currently staffed with 1 Programmer/Project Manager, 1 Art Director, 1 Audio Director and me (Dave) the Creative Director. Not sure how busy any of you are but if possible we could use some help on implementing the grapple into a tongue and making it work properly. Our programmer comes from a c++ and web development background so he's currently getting up to speed with the Unreal scripting (WOT Greal). As 'designers' (at VFS) we are required to put the game together using any assets we can obtain. If any of you decide to help you will be given access to our Project Path and assests.

We have 12 development weeks to mod the game to completion. That means that we are developing a 3-4 level game with approx. 8-10 min of gameplay. More like a demo that will include a beginning, middle and end.

Thanks again guys and I would be happy to provide any concept art and/or design doc for a complete description of our game.

Cheers!

Dave
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
jb

Post by jb »

Dave,

sent the code to you via email. After you programmer looks at it, have them send any questions he has here or email. And dont forget we hang out in our IRC chat room too :) But with this code they can see how it works and then going to what you need it should be easy. Not sure exactly what you want it to do as a tonge so some day you can go into more detial about that :)

Thanks again and let us know!
Jb
Chameleo

Good News

Post by Chameleo »

All right... we have our character in game (basic run cycle) and the grapple shooting out of his head (or body). But it works. We are now tweaking things to try to get the grapple to look/feel more like a tongue.

Thanks guys.

So far, so good.
Dave
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
jb

Re: Good News

Post by jb »

Chameleo wrote:All right... we have our character in game (basic run cycle) and the grapple shooting out of his head (or body). But it works. We are now tweaking things to try to get the grapple to look/feel more like a tongue.

Thanks guys.

So far, so good.
Dave
Well now this almost begs for a screen shot when you have one ready :)
Jb
Chameleo

Post by Chameleo »

will do... we are just waiting on some of our art assets... he looks a little funny running around in the Unreal textures!
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
jb

Post by jb »

Cool can not wait!
Jb
Chameleo

Post by Chameleo »

Just wondering when the time comes... how do I post a screenie on here?
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
Kaboodles

Post by Kaboodles »

[img]url%20of%20image[/img]
High Council member of The Generals
jb

Post by jb »

Chameleo wrote:Just wondering when the time comes... how do I post a screenie on here?
Kaboodles is right on the money assuming you have that uploaded. If not send it to me (via email) and I can post it for ya!

Thanks!
Jb
Chameleo

Post by Chameleo »

Just a logo from our game and company name. That's what my desktop looks like.
Last edited by Chameleo on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
Chameleo

Lighting???

Post by Chameleo »

Ok, I have an official question for you guys... In creating our levels/environments which are cel shaded cartoon style, I've run across the issue of 'grey' shadows and such that look too realistic for what we want. The environment for the most part is a lush jungle. I'm not sure how much you guys know about lighting but for the most part I'm using sunlight in each zone and I'm getting alot of hard edge shadows and such...

If there is anywhere you could point me or inform me of proper lighting techniques that would be great. I've added some fill lights and such but as of yet haven't gotten the look I want.

Thanks guys... oh ya, the grapple/tongue is coming along great!

Dave
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
jb

Post by jb »

Hmm

I have seen this in the few maps I have done but never figured out why. We are kind of short of mappers at the moment. Have to tried the Unreal Wiki or the UDN? Maybe ask this over in Epics main forums as they have a lot of talent users that have made some great maps over there. One of them maybe able to help you better. Sorry about that...
Jb
Chameleo

Post by Chameleo »

Thanks Joe... I'll do that... and I'm all over the UDN and Wiki... but the lighting examples there are fairly basic. I'll get a screen shot up soon as we have some more assets in game now.

1 more thing... do you know of anyone that does animating??? We have a few characters in our game that could use some cool animations.

Thanks,

Dave
Game Design 05
Vancouver Film School
Romulus777
Location: in front of my computer waiting for 5 mods to download at once

Post by Romulus777 »

what about L'arc? is he still around?
proxys rule cuz they r funny a proud mac user

Code: Select all

All ur base r blong to us
Viva the Revalution

CLICK HERE! (I need 20+ clicks to win)
jb

Post by jb »

Chameleo wrote: 1 more thing... do you know of anyone that does animating??? We have a few characters in our game that could use some cool animations.
Do we are 0-2 helping you as we are even shorter on animators than we are mappers :P

But L'architecte is trying for a mapping role here and he maybe able to help you (after you post your screenshot)?
Jb