Grappling hook - Abseil idea

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
ironfistchamp

Grappling hook - Abseil idea

Post by ironfistchamp »

Hey all

Just been playing on DM Bounce and grapple swinging about. Had the idea that the grappling hook could have an option to not reel in when it latches. great for swing-in attacks on melee. Also making it easier to lengthen the rope would be really useful especially when you find your self hanging from something, a pit below and the only way up is to swing. Would be fun to get down from high places with this. Would it also be possible to make the character be able to walk/run with the hook attached or is that just a limitation of the game?

This is my fav part of Chaos and think it could do with a little love :P

Ironfistchamp
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hi! Thanks for posting.

As for request #1, it's highly unlikely we'll make any kind of change to the hook.

About your 2nd request, there is already an optional key for making the cable longer while hanging (wasn't sure from your post if you'd already seen this or not).
Yuni

Post by Yuni »

there is already an optional key for making the cable longer while hanging
Really? What one?
My username was Teraku. Until that ******* live hotmail thought these forums was spam and they put it in spam folder and i couldnt get it out and i accidentally deleted the frikkin message >:-(
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

You can set it in your input :D
High Council member of The Generals
Yuni

Post by Yuni »

No you cant. Thats for reeling IN, but R.Flagg said there was a key for extending the cable.
My username was Teraku. Until that ******* live hotmail thought these forums was spam and they put it in spam folder and i couldnt get it out and i accidentally deleted the frikkin message >:-(
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I may have mispoke (ie: er.. uh, made something up). Drawing a blank at the moment. Somebody please remind me, but I think we may have taken that out.

And I apologize if I said something that was complete BS. At least when it comes to Chaos, that would be very out of character for me. :oops:

One idea we've had brewing for awhile (forget where we got it), was to try out having the jump key work as "hook up", and the crouch key work as the "hook down". Unless it poses issues for Jb that I am not aware of, it just might work fine. Because while hooked you don't need to jump or crouch.

He has a sort of test-grapple he's been toying with, perhaps we can persuade him to give this new idea a shot with that.
jb

Post by jb »

Yea I remember I hit some sort of road block but let me take a look at it again...
Jb
Kyllian

Post by Kyllian »

You should be able to do that... I think
There's a vehicle mod that uses "SwitchToLastWeapon" for the launch button on one of the vehicles

So wouldn't you have to just add some checks to see if the player is standing on something(ground/vehicle/etc) then have it check if Jump/Crouch is being pressed/called/whatever?

I know it's going to be more complex than that tho
(Melaneus) Dammit, don't you know Furrysound's actually this hot anthro cat goddess? Who does server administration?
jb

Post by jb »

Kyllian, IIRC, I could not accurately intercept that information that they were jumping or crouching. Could be with not having access to player controller with out modifying it.. But will have to double check...
Jb