A NEW CROSSBOW TRICK! MRSI!

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
-Penfold-

A NEW CROSSBOW TRICK! MRSI!

Post by -Penfold- »

I just discovered a new reason why putting the scope on the crossbow would be incredibly cool. I've been using the current crossbow with a zoomed FOV setting to simulate a scope.

Already, getting a long snipe shot with a slow moving projectile is rewarding enough, but I've discovered a new little trick that is oh, so very rewarding.

The military refers to a similar technique as MRSI: Multiple Round Simultaneous Impact. However, with the crossbow, it has nothing to do with change in trajectory, instead just a change in velocity.

See, if you zoom in on someone camping in the distance, what you can do is fire a standard shot, than fire a charged up shot. A experienced person can get the arrows to hit at almost the same time and sometimes have the 2 arrows hit the player at the same time! I'm guessing, at a very long range, one could even manage to do 3 at almost the same time.

Sure, many wouldn't bother with this, but some would, and MAN it would be cool do down some camper with 2 arrows hitting them at the same time. Certain little tricks in games can make incredibly cool gaming moments, and I think this could be one of them. Like (not in UT but other games) grabbing a grenade someone lobbed at you, throwing it back at them just in time to have it blow up in there face.

Please! Put the scope back on the crossbow! :twisted:

I understand, it's Chaos Evolution. Meaning change. But normally, evolution also means things adapting for the better. ;) Now, I admit, I do like the new crossbow features, but how does putting the scope on it make it any worse?
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Assuming we get that far.., I can pretty much guarantee the xbow will be either non-existant (less likely), or will be completely different than our current version (more likely).

I have always enjoyed the scoped bow, and would not mind seeing another one. But until UT3 ships and we get to play it, there's no way I'd want to be that specific on weapon function/design yet.

Another thought I've had lately is that the "standard" ammo of the xbow has seen it's last tournament (or at least it's last nw tournament). Perhaps explosive ammo is more logical as 'standard'.

But of course first we have to play the vanilla game, see how much work Epic has already done for us :wink: , and go from there. Got lots of neat ideas though. I'm sure we all do.
jb

Post by jb »

I agree with flagg's input as those are some good ideas he has!
Jb
GB

Post by GB »

I understand, it's Chaos Evolution. Meaning change. But normally, evolution also means things adapting for the better. Now, I admit, I do like the new crossbow features, but how does putting the scope on it make it any worse?
Sometimes a simplification is a better adaptation...i see what you mean tho.

Good ideas. I think better suited to UT3 (well, unless there is already one -thanks epic btw hehehe) as flagg was saying. I think a scoped crossbow in this version woulda been strange.

And yes- for the love of god make explosive arrows default! i hate the normal arrows! :P[/i]
"All i know is my gut says maybe"