How to maxout file xfer rates for UT2004 server>client xf

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
-Penfold-

How to maxout file xfer rates for UT2004 server>client xf

Post by -Penfold- »

First of all, I'm not talking "netspeed" here...

OK, so you hop in a server online, and it's using a mod or mutator or map that you don't have. So, it transfers the necessary files to your computer, and if it takes to long, you can hit F10 to cancel.

My question is, how would I max out this setting for my listen server computer so that I don't have to manually file share a bunch of muts/mods and install them on various computers, or wait around for 10 minutes for the transfers to trickle out to the computers using a speed setting that's set for internet connection speeds, and to avoid lag for those in game? I'm not concerned about the latter, and the former isn't an issue on lan.

I've tried and failed to find the setting in UT1's advanced options under networking, and with what words I've guessed would come up with a google response to the answer haven't resulted in an answer.

So, how do I get UT2004 to try to send out that information at near 100Mb/s speeds? or even 20Mb/s speed?
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

The bottleneck is probably your hardware... either the harddrives, lan card, cpu, ram in your computer.

If you have a Gigabit switch with CAT 6e cabling and Gibanet NIC cards then you have a better chance than with standard CAT 5e and 10/100 cards. But that only applies to the local lan and not internet connections.
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

MassChAoS wrote:The bottleneck is probably your hardware... either the harddrives, lan card, cpu, ram in your computer.
I don't know where the issue is, but I'll say that I've ran many a UT99 and UT04 games on lan with little latency issues. Also, I think it's game limited, because files tend to transfer just as fast to 3 computers as they do to 1, if there were a non-game setting bottleneck, I'd think it'd slow down the more computers it was trying to send it to.

I tried sending a 4MB map ingame, by joining on another computer without the map, and it took 35 seconds to get to 1%. After it got to 1%,The same file took less than a second to transfer from and to the same 2 computers via file sharing, while UT2004 was still trying to sent/receive the map.

Is there a maximum transfer rate hard coded into UT?